Thread: What do you eat in a typical day?

Default What do you eat in a typical day?

I seriously need to lose weight and in addition keep eating healthily for LIFE.

I know I eat terribly, but sometimes I don't know even when I am eating healthily if I am eating too much food or not enough. I only walk to and from the train station twice a week and occassionally walk to the park with dd, so I know I have to exercise more, but initially wanted to work on my eating habits.

When I was pg, this is what I ate and I only gained 6 kgs during my pg plus I has GD, and didn't need insulin. Do you think this is ok to eat now whilst ttc, if I get pg and then for life? What would you change and do you have any alternative suggestions for breakfast and lunches as I tend to get bored easily.

Breakfast - 2 weet-bix with skim milk & an apple

Morning tea - 1 tub low fat yoghurt (usually vaalia brand)

Lunch - Banana or other piece of fruit plus 2 slices of wholegrain bread w tomato, avocado & cheese

Arvo tea - small piece of cheese and low fat crackers

Tea - Small amount of grain - like pasta, rice or potato, steamed veg (unlimited) and meat/fish etc... If I had pasta for tea, it would be a small amount with bolognaise sauce & side serve of salad (low fat dressing) or steamed veg

Only drank 1 to 2 cups coffee or tea with skim milk (no sugar) and unlimited amounts of water, no soft drink, fruit juice alcohol etc...

20 min walk after lunch.

I am a bit concerned that considering how much I eat now, that if I only eat the above it won't be enough & I will binge.

One thing to help with cravings and binge eating is to have protein for breakfast and lunch. So your main source of protein etc should be in the morning or for lunch.

So instead of wheatbix for breakfast, maybe a scrambled egg, or some protein... Also taking fish oil tablets in the morning can be helpful to curb cravings. Also with lunch, a slice of cheese may not be enough protein for you.

Other than that it looks fantastic! If you add a few drops of lemon juice to your water, it will help curb cravings as well

I have been doing the CSIRO eating plan for the past 10 weeks (lost 6kg yay!) - this is a basic idea of what I eat in a day:

Breakfast: Smoothie made with 1 weetbix,1 banana, 1 cup milk, 3 tabs vanilla yoghurt (sometimes add a teas of milo) - really filling

Lunch: 100g protein (2 eggs, or lean ham, chicken, fish, tuna, etc) and salad
    So - Ham and salad sandwich on wholegrain bread and 1 200g lowfat yoghurt (doesnt have to be no sugar but can be if you want to)

Dinner: 200g protein and at least 2 cups veg (vege are free you can have as much of any except potatoes)
    So - 200g Lean steak and 2 cups asst vegies
    200g low fat icecream with 100g fruit salad

Snacks - 25g lowfat cheese, 100 g fruit As much diet softdrinks/other drinks as you like, diet cup a soups, etc. (I don't have this)

Basically in one day you are permitted to have (and should have to maintain the correct balance of everything):
    50g wholegrain cereal - 2weetbix, 1/2 cup sultana bran, allbran etc. - or 1 slice wholegrain bread
    2 slices whole grain bread - 1 slice may be replaced with 50g potato or 1/2 cup rice or 1/3 cup pasta
    3 serves dairy - lowfat - 200g per serve or 250ml milk or 25g fullfat cheese or 50g lowfat cheese (less than 10% fat)
    100g protein at lunch, 200g at dinner
    20g fat - oil, or nuts
    1/2 cup salad
    2 cups veges

Once you've been doing it for a while, it is easy to create your own menus for a day and work out how to have what you would like. EG Friday's I often have a homemade pizza - so i save my bread allowance for dinner and 2 of my dairy's for the cheese.

I have such a food routine it's stupid:

Breakfast 1: 1 cup soy milk, then cycle 15km
    Breakfast 2: 1 cup home made baked beans - I do them overnight in the slow cooker with carrot, capsicum and tomato.
    Lunch: Avocado on rice cakes (5) OR salad with croutons OR vegetable soup with 2 slices toast
    Snack: Banana or raisin toast.
    Dinner: Hot meal that is 50% vegies, 50% carbs (some of each forms protein count) I guess it's about a cup and a half?
    Green tea.

Oats are great to have in the morning, or porridge. Or a smoothie like someone pointed out. Try adding a Protein Shake to your breakfast, if you make your weetbix with a choc protein shake it makes it really yummy!

For lunch I would whack a lot more stuff in the sandwhich! Mine are overflowing and thats just the way I like them! I have bread (Tip Top do a 100% wholegrain bread thats really good) avocado instead of butter, ham (or tuna) chicken is ok, turkey is best but it's so fricken expensive! the I chuck in cucumber, lettuce (anything but iceberg - it's pointless, no goodness in it really at all), capsicum, mung beans, snowpea sprouts and alfalfa. Yummo!!!

This is my diet but bear in mind I exercise like a fiend and can burn up to 1200cals in any one day...

Breakfast - Protein Shake, Coffee, 4xWeetbix
    Morning Tea - Protein bar if i'm on the run or yoghurt with chopped up fruit in it if at home and another protein shake
    Lunch - Sandwhich (see above) and piece of fruit (if feeling naughty I have an iceblock)
    Afternoon tea - 6x cornthins made like 3 sandwhiches with a filling of sundried tom and onion tuna and phillie
    Dinner - Usually a stirfry or pasta. We have rice most nights (Basmati is the best I think) but at least once maybe twice a week we have pasta. I try not to make potatoes all that often.

Thanks so much for your replies.
    You all eat so well! It really makes me notice how much of a terrible eater I really am and in addition, when I think I am doing ok, it really is not good at all!
    I will take on board adding protein for breakfast - I try to have an egg occassionally, but it is a bit hard the days I am at work, plus I am on the train by 5.30am and I am too lazy to get up earlier to eat a protein breakfast. I will bulk up my sandwiches at lunch or add a side salad.
    Thanks again!

That sounds like an excelent eating plan to me! I would put a little something extra in your lunch to though, like a meat of some sort maybe? (tuna?) Otherwise, yum!
    I'm shocking with food atm, i need to start eating *better* I basically eat when my stomach starts to hit my back bone lately, and I often skip breakfast altogether and have your normal lunch (salad roll or something) and dinner (meat with steamed veggies). Naughty Naughty!
    Good job hun!

Quote Originally Posted by Teagz_88 View Post
    That sounds like an excelent eating plan to me! I would put a little something extra in your lunch to though, like a meat of some sort maybe? (tuna?) Otherwise, yum!
    I'm shocking with food atm, i need to start eating *better* I basically eat when my stomach starts to hit my back bone lately, and I often skip breakfast altogether and have your normal lunch (salad roll or something) and dinner (meat with steamed veggies). Naughty Naughty!
    Good job hun!
    I wish my stomach could stick to my backbone - sadly I have too much padding! hehe