Thread: Fish Oil....?

elda Guest

Default Fish Oil....?

What is Fish Oil and why is it used? Why do people take it? I have joints pain. Would it be helpful for me to take it?

Fish oil is primarily used for omega fatty acids. you can also get this from other sources eg. linseed/flaxseed.

Omega FAs are important for brain function, metabolism and other things. I have heard of people using if for joints but I think other products would work better. Generally you would want to look at something with glucosamine. Usually the products are green lipped mussel and shark or cow cartilage.

You would want to get assessed by a doctor to see if your pain is really your joint or perhaps ligament/muscle pain. Otherwise you may waste your money on a product that isnt right for you.
    HTH

My children were put on Effalex (sp?) fish oil to help with concentration, and attention etc with schooling,, as one in particular has been labelled an ADHD child. The fish oils are now just being found to be more beneficial in the long term than the commonly used drugs like Ritelen (sp?). My paediatrician says he has had massive success getting improvements from children using the fish oils,, so much so that even the teachers are lelighted with the results. But he says they are not all the same,,, the "EyeQ" and "Effalex" were the only ones he recommended as he said they contain the right levels of oils,,and supportive evening primrose oil etc to bring about the desired improvements.
    Last edited by Lil_Aussie; March 4th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.

zara_lee Guest

Fish oil is recommended for a healthy diet because it contains the omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), precursors to eicosanoids that reduce inflammation throughout the body.

[link removed please read forum guidelines]