Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metformin

Default Metformin

Well I started this week, taking 1 nightly for a week and then if the symptoms aren't too bad then on to another in the morning too. I am on 850mg. I haven't had any bad side effects yet, was just wondering those who experienced them, how long before they started? I keep *hoping* that no symptoms will occur. But every little spot of nausea or bloating I start to panic LOL.

So if you could share some of your personal experiences that could be helpful

*hugs*
    Cailin

I have to take 500 mg a day and I'm waiting to see if my doctor will increase mine to 850 mg as well. It takes about a few weeks for your body to adjust to taking them and yes it took only few days for me to start experiencing those same symptoms.

I've enjoyed the knowledge of nutritition, which has hepled with my weight loss along with the Metformin, about 20 lbs (I forgot how to convert that numberto kg) in 5 months \/ .

One thing you have to do is make sure you eat at least 3 to 4 meals a day, if you miss a meal while taking Metformin, you'll be making a lot of trips to the potty.

I'm starting to notice the more energy I have too. No More Chronic Fatigue Syndrome!!!! I'm [-o< that after a month of rest for my body, TTC will have blessed us with a

Will you be taking anything else for TTC? Do you have an exercise routine to assist witht the Metformin? I mostly do moderate house work and 1/4 mile walk 5 to 6 times a month. It's not much but I have Fibromyalgia as well so its been rough trying to get fit and not end up with muscle spasms....that's a whole different story

Thank you so much for the info deevadoll!!! Are you on 500mg once or twice a day, I am taking 850mg once a day but after a week he wants me to take it twice a day.

I can feel the energy already, I am not tired anymore, and this is going to sound strange but my vision is clearer. I know that must sound strange but I swear everything is crystal clear, I wonder if that has to do with the fatigue as well. Its bizarre but its not until you know what its like to *have* energy that you realise you didn't have any before LOL! My poor lil munchkin doesn't know whats going on coz mummy is just buzzing LOL!

One of my best friends has Fibromyalgia so I feel your pain, its not too nice. Are you doing a treatment program? I have a gym membership so hopefully will continue with that. As for meals I find that food doesn't just sit in my stomach like a rock anymore. And the other thing is I don't feel nauseous either. Well its Day 4 today, and still no runs to the loo or anything else bad. In fact for me its quite the opposite 8-[ But I think thats because I was starting to get a bad bout of IBS.

I will let you know how it all goes next week when I start the stronger dosage. As for other medications my Dr wants to see how I go on metformin for a few months before jumping the gun iykwim. He is pretty convinced I have a pretty good shot on metformin alone, and he seems to have a pretty good success rate so fingers crossed I will be a success too

Goodluck :luck: and lots of inkdust:

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hi Cailin, I take 500 mg a day. I don't have a program right now. I've always been the type of person that does too much at once, so I'm tyring to take one day at a time. I had a memebership to a gym but financial issues caused me not to be able to use it.

Good luck at your appointment.
    What is iykwim?

Cat81 Guest

Hi Cailin,
    I am on Metformin too. Not everyone has the side effects. I take 500mg 3 times a day, and i feel fine. At first, I felt a tiny bit sick, and my appetite was not as strong (but thats a good thing lol).

JulieM Guest

Hi Guys, sorry I haven't been around much, had heaps on. I was wondering if you guys could list some of the side effects from Metformin for me..I am thinking of going to the doctor and asking about getting it.

I am sick of struggling. I don't want a quick fix, but I want some kinda help.

Julie

The side effects are nausea, diarreha, bloating, loss of appietite, flatuence and vomiting. The main side effects that a lot of people have while taking Metformin are the nausea and diarreaha. They leave after 2 to 4 weeks.

I hope this hasn't scared you..It really works!

aw Guest

I have been on Metformin for 5 days now and while I felt a little nauseas on the second day, I haven't since. What I do get though is extreme tiredness. I've never been one to have low energy, but in the past 4 or 5 days I have been absoloutely wrecked! I feel like I could just sleep all day. Around 11am it really hits me and stays with me all day, I even feel like my eyes won't stay open if that makes sense. Has anyone else had tiredness like this?

:-s

AW

My mother is a diabetic and takes Metformin and she experinence the same tiredness. I had for about 2 weeks then I had a bunch of energy.

Pietta Guest

My only side effect from 500mg a day was getting AF (period) and getting pregnant!! Not too bad side effects if you ask me!!

LOL Pee...I would say they were pretty good effects

As for me no diarrhea but severe constipation for over a week, ended up taking a softner & a lax to get things going which has made me very sick indeed. TMI for some I am sure LOL. I have done some research and it appears that my symptoms are not that uncommon so basically it *can* go either way so to speak. I think I will start incorporating more fibre & maybe even some fibre replacement in my diet to help things along. If I am finding it to be a problem I might give my gyno a call and see what he recommends in this situation. Its really annoying though, I have had IBS since I can remember and I have NEVER had it as bad as this. Oh well what can you do...its worth it in the end right? Now fingers crossed for that lol bring on April!!!!!

My other question would be...how long before you noticed a change in your weight (if you did) and was it fast or slow weightloss? And was it easy to maintain or did you find that it went back on later down the track?

Goodluck girls!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Congradulation Pee!

Cailin- I noticed at the doctors office when the scale wasn't as high as before. \/ I've actually shocked I've been able to maintain and lose a little more.

What type of exercise program do you have?

aw Guest

Congratulations Pee!!! Thats fantastic news

Thanks Deeva!! I actually have noticed yesterday arvo and this morning I don't seem to be as tired, so maybe it will go away. I actually did 1.5 hours of yoga last night and thought I would be really tired after that, but actually felt heaps better. Weird cos it's not an exercise I eva thought I would like!!

aw Guest

Hi again, Deevadoll you were spot on, i've been 9 days on Metformin now and my tiredness has gone and I have heaps more energy. THanks again.

I do have one question though, and it's a bit yukky. I've notices that since being on the Met my urine is really, really yellow, like it would be if you weren't drinking water, only I'm drinking about 2.5 litres a day (I seem to be really thirsty).

Any ideas?

Hi aw, I was the opposite...really thirsty yeah but my urine seemed to be clear.

I LOVE the energy rush though, I could think & see clearer (as stupid as that sound) I wonder what its going to be like when I go up in dosage LOL! And my other fave perk is I can eat without feeling like I have a brick in my stomach, which is great.

I had to go off when I got the bad constipation, but I am going to start again tonight and fingers crossed the constipation doesn't return!

*hugs*
    Cailin

aw Guest

Hey Cailin

I had bad constipation when I frist started, and then I just got dioreah (sp!) real bad, but it seems to have gone back to almost normally by eating All Bran for brekkie each morning. It's not the nicest cereal in the world, but it seems to do the trick. I also am really bad at eating enough fruit and veg, so with the all bran being so dull, I find I want to add fruit and stuff to it to hide the taste!

I have the energy as you did, but I am so, so ditzy! Not thinking clearly at all. I keep forgetting things and doing really stupid things!!! Oh well, it gives DH a laugh!!

AW

Hi ladies

AW-My urine was yellow alot too. For some people, they may have to drink more water. I have found that out about 2 months again.

But check with doctor for any signs of Diabetic symptoms such as thrist.

aw Guest

Thanks Deevadoll. I see my doc again on Wednesday, so I will make sure to ask. I think we are going to look at Clomid at this appt as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast