Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing to the 6m + formula

Melinda Guest

Default Changing to the 6m + formula

I'm just wondering if anybody has any comments on switching to the formula for 6 months +. As Jacob is 6 months next month, we will need to switch him to the S26 Gold Step 2 (or whatever it's called). Has anyone had any bad experiences with their baby when making this transition? Have you simply switched over when they are 6 months, or have you gradually made the transition?

Hi Tootie

I just switched over when the tin ran out at approx 6 mths. Apparently it tastes the same, just a slightly different nutritional mix to meet the baby's changing needs.

But no, I didn't have any problems.

I just switched with both my boys and had no drama

Love

We never had a problem with Kimberley.

We have had a huge problem because they don't make the thickened formula for over 6 months... so we've tried different ones & they aren't doing so well atm... still using her thickened one & every once in a while I buy a sample from another sort to see...

Aidyn transferred onto S26 Progress Gold with no problems at all, in fact I think he liked it even better than the infant one, though it is supposed to taste the same?

katanya Guest

I just thought I'd pass on what the girls in my mother group were told at their 6 mth appointments, the MCHN said that there was no extra nutritional in the more expensive formula's post 6 mths that the heinz one and the S26 etc are all the same. They do taste diffrent apparently, as a few of them cahnged to heinz and their babies at first protested, but not THAT different!
    She also said that the whole "toddler formula" wasn't needed because they can drink cows milk then.

There is something I can't remember what it happened with my gf where she had probs with the 6 mth + I can't remember if it had something to do with one being derived from vegetables and one not or more lactose or what it was LOL! But Paris never had any problems, I will ask my gf though coz my brain has gone a bit mushy.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I've heard the same as Katanya. Alana's dietition and a couple of Peads (from hospital) that she dealt with when she had her cold said the same thing. If you want to your bubs will be perfectly fine on the same formula until you swap over to cows milk at 12 months.

Alex was early so we didn't change formula until 7 months (approx).

Our paed recommended he stay on his original formula (S26 LF) until that stage, as he might have a lactose intolerance.

Which he does.

So we used a combination of S26LF and S26 Gold 6mth+ until 15 months, then on dietician's advice changed to soy milk after a lot of trouble with wind, vomitting and diarrhoea with cow's milk.

I had no problem switching Harry from S-26 to S-26 Progress formula, but you don't have to change to the step 2 formula if you don't want to. Apparently they are just a marketing gimmick. Or you could change to a cheaper step 2 formula because they are basically all the same, and my CHN told me that the Gold formulas are not really necessary after 6 months.

After reading your post Katanya about there being no difference in the cheaper/more expensive 6month+ Formula, I went and compared normal S26 today to S26 Gold.
    - S26 Gold has AA (amino acids I presume) and DHA, which the normal cheaper S26 does not have. I didnt look at any of the other brands though, but I would assume Karicare gold would have those same extras.
    It would be interesting to find info out on how useful the AA and DHA really is though, cause I could be saving myself around $5 a tin if I was using the other type!

Melinda Guest

I was just talking to someone about this yesterday Ambah! I noticed that the S26 Gold had AA and DHA whereas the normal S26 didn't. Perhaps we need to find out what these are and what the health benefits are??

After what Katanya had said, I too am considering switching to a cheaper brand at 6 months, but if the AA & DHA provides some kind of health benefit that the others don't, then I'll stay as is.

katanya Guest

I'd do some research girls, as it was only passed on via girls in my mothers group from the MCHN, but perhaps you could ask yours?

I can't speak from personal experience because I still Breastfed, but it's like when The Paed says breastmilks has less importance after 6 mths to solids and then the GP, the ABA, and everything I have read on the internet and books say otherwise..I believe them over Pead but I'm going to a paediactric dietician anyhow, it won't be for another 2 months but I'll ask them about the formulas' too?

Melinda Guest

Well I've since found out that AA is arachadonic acid and DHA is docosahexaenoic acid (what a mouthful!)

Apparently they assist in the development of the brain and eyes. I'm going to try and do some more research and when I next do my grocery shopping I'll be taking a close look at all the different brands to see if they also have this in it.........

Essential Fatty Acids
    More than half the calories in today's infant formulas come from fat, much like breast milk. To grow, infants need this high level of fat in their diet. Although the role of specific nutrients present in human milk regarding the promotion of optimal cognitive development remains a controversial issue, recent extensive clinical research has demonstrated the importance of two essential fatty acids in infant development.
    Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA) are long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids found throughout the body. DHA, a key component of heart, brain, and ocular tissue, is important for proper brain and eye development in infants and has been shown to support cardiovascular health in adults. AA, also found in brain tissue as well as in other cells, plays an important role in immunity and other vital bodily functions.
    Both DHA and AA, found in foods such as meat, eggs, milk, and fish, are natural components of breast milk and are present in varying levels depending on the mother's diet.

BTW Tootie I am looking forward to hearing what you find out about all the brands!
    I will try and have a quick squizz again when I go in tomorrow as well, but I am usually pretty rushed when out shopping.

Melinda Guest

Well I was in the supermarket earlier this afternoon and had a quick squizz. It seems that the 'gold' versions of formulas, like the S26, Karicare etc have the AA & DHA in them, but the normal versions don't, which is obviously why they are cheaper.

So, I guess it's down to us as parents as to whether we want to give our babies the formula with the AA & DHA in them or not.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast