Thread: Help me remember

Red face Help me remember

I am getting more and more forgetfull. I don't think it's like a serious medical problem, but it is driving me crazy.

I have looked at buying some "mental-enhancing" supplements at the pharmacy, but they are like WAAAAY more expensive than I was bargening on. So, is there a more natural and cheaper way of boosting my metal vitality??? Like eating carrots, or standing on your head for 10 minutes a day??

I know Ginkgo-balboa is great for metal well-being, but that is exactly what is so expensive in tablet form. I want to know if you can get the same results by using the leaves and brewing it like a tea. See, my dad got a ginko-tree and the leaves are availible to me. If so, how would I go to work brewing it????

Any of you lovely herb-ladies, some help please !!!

TIA

Do brain quizzes and triva type things that help work your brain... have you got 'sudoku'? they are great for exercising the brain hence enhancing your memory.

Also exercise! (which i need to do )

none of that is herbs but at least it's free??

Rosemary and Sage Oils Help too just check if you can use in PG

I am a dud at sudoku tried and tried and tried, but it never works out for me. And also between two jobs, a baby, a husband, a house there are not really any time for me to do trivia/sudoku/crosswords. If I do get some spare time, I do a little bit of reading or fall asleep on the couch
    I do regular exercise - the only thing that is keeping me sane atm.
    Thanks Ren!

Tiggerlina - how do I use that oils? I'm not pg. Do I burn it in a thingy, or do I apply directly to the affected erea, ie my forehead

paradise lost Guest

Hey hun,

Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently? A hypoactive (slow) thyroid can give you terrible brain fog.

The other "warning" sign is the fact that you fall asleep on the couch - GO TO BED! Lack of sleep makes you so fuzzy. I am experiencing this myself and i have basically just figured out that the reason i've been ill 29 days in the last 5 months and can't remember anything reliably anymore is because i cannot cope on 5hours/night indefinitely.

From tonight i'm making a conscious effort to sleep more. It's stupid to feel grumpy about it i know, but i just feel like sleep is stealing time from me! Daft ain't i!? Anyway, i hope you find answers

Bx

Thanks Bec,

I could get it checked ... I'll have to phone and hear what the dr will charge for it and if my medical aid will pay, otherwise I just have to wait a month and hear if our new medical aid will pay for it. Have not thought of my thyroid ... hmm what are other symptoms that it might be acting up??

I am soooo with you on the "sleep steals my time" thing. I HATE sleeping when I know there are still dishes to be done and washing to be hanged. And to top it off, I'm a busy body. I can't let DH do the cooking and relax infront of the TV, I feel that I must help him. Now THAT is DAFT!!!
    I must admit that don't get nearly enough sleep. About 6 hours per night (If I'm lucky and DH is not a pest ) and then I have to get up two or three times for dd. Which btw has been only one time the past three days, so fingerscrossed the she is on the verge of sleeping thru

paradise lost Guest

Other symptoms of a slow thyroid would be:

-exhaustion
    -aching joints and muscles, weakness of limbs
    -modest weight gain or difficulty losing weight
    -hair thinning and loss of outer 3rd of eyebrows
    -feeling the cold more
    -feelings of depression - inability to "face" the day, that sort of thing, rather than the sadness, more the lack of empowerment
    -brain fog, forgetfulness, inability to think of the word you want
    -sore neck or throat or full or strange sensations in the neck when swallowing
    -bruising easily and healing from all bruises and wounds more slowly
    -puffy upper eyelids
    -stuffiness of the nose and frequent sinus infections
    -loss of fitness or more difficult to improve fitness

Lots of people get a bunch of them, some people only get one or two and occasionally you get someone who doesn't get any, despite having a slow thyroid. We sound pretty similar re: sleep. I just feel because i'm a single parent "my" time is after she goes to bed, and i really don't want to lose 3 hours of it because i'm in bed, but i think my body's telling me i need to...

Bx

Thanks

I don't really know how many of that symptoms I have ... I forget

No, serious:
    - exhaustion
    - difficulty losing weight (could be that I am just eating to much shyyyt)
    - the whole brain fog line
    - bruising and healing
    - puffy upper lids (also could be from lack of sleep exhaustion)
    - some of the sinus things
    - ????? on the fittness. I just do what I am doing. I'm not really trying to improve my fittness, just keep it, kwim????

I'll phone my gp right now.

paradise lost Guest

Yeah call your doc. The eyelids thing is quite noticeable, it feels HARD to keep your eyes open and you look sleepy the whole time...? The weight thing - i actually lost my appetite with it (everything seemed to take ages to digest and i hated feeling full and uncomfy - ooh! Constipation - another symptom!!!) BUT because i was exhausted, when i DID snack it tended to be on high-sugar things, to "give me a lift" so that will have been adding calories...

Re: the fitness thing, that's more of a personal one, not noted, but my GP did say he wasn't sure how i was managing to keep training for my half marathon when i was ill - it took me WAY longer to increase my distances than it should have and instead of adjkusting and getting fitter my body just kept getting injuries. I'm still the sort of person who needs 3 weeks at the gym to "come back" after a week off, even medicated, so maybe some of it's genetic?

It's not at all uncommon after we have a bub for cracks in the thyroid system to show. Best of luck getting it sorted - mneantime SLEEP more - when i was exhausted with my thyroid i was sleeping 11 hours a night and STILL couldn't get off the sofa most days, unless it was to run.

Bx