Thread: Shingles & chicken pox

Default Shingles & chicken pox

I have a rash on my neck that stated off as a old pimple, I kept scratching at it which resulted in it becoming a sore so I put a band aid on it so I couldn't pick at it with out realising. After taking the bandaid off there is now a icky rash were the band aid was, not the sticky bit but the non adhesive dressing bit of the band aid. I figured my skin had just reacted to the bandaid. But its not getting better & its itchy & painful. To me it looks like a fungal infection. I showed my GP while I was there for something else who was concerned that its actually a shingles out break!

At first I didn't think so but been looking at pictures on the net & well, hmmm maybe it is... It doesn't really fit the symptoms though but different sites say different things.

But the thing is, if I had shingles, surly my non vaccinated, never had chicken pox's kids would get/have chicken pox wouldn't they?

Dr said to keep an eye on it, but how long should I leave it? She was worried because I am pregnant but for what I have read shingles doesn't effect the unborn bub.

If anyone knows, I have taken a photo if you want to see & can confirm that it is or isn't shingles LOL.

*Nessa* Guest

Fj- you actually cant catch chicken pox from shingles.

Shingles is when the chicken pox virus reoccurs in a already immune person.

But one thing i must say is shingles is dangerous for a pg women to have!!!! (well i am pretty sure it is)

Well from what I have been reading a person can't catch shingles off someone with shingles BUT can get chickenpox if they haven't had it before.

Also read that only chicken poxs effects the unborn baby where with shingles the person already has antibodies against chicken pox so when shingles occurs & the person is preg the unborn baby is protected by the mothers antibodies.

eta - my symptoms really don't fit. I just wish I knew what it was so I could treat it. Its so itchy & sore!
    Last edited by *Efjay*; February 28th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.

Sounds about right FJ. My DH's shingles looked like a spider bite, until they started to spread.

I'm assuming you've had the cp previously?
    Shingles is a mutation of the CP virus which can often lay dormant in you body for years waiting for the right conditions. Usually low immunity.
    It geneerally follows a nerve and your neck is full of them.
    Oral Zovirax is usually the treatment but I don't think you can take that when pregnant.
    We used to use a spray on dressing (that when it dries is like a plastic covering) at the hospital to stop the air getting at it. Just ask the chemist.

Really hope it's not though. GL finding an answer.

Oh goodness FJ, this is the last thing you need.

Can't they do a blood test?

you absolutely can catch chicken pox from someone with shingles. about 6 years ago my mother had an outbreak of shingles. all 3 of us kids (who had all never had chicken pox) caught really bad chicken pox. i'm sorry fj, it was really bad.

Yeh you can catch Chicken Pox from someone with Shingles, its just you cant catch Shingles from someone who has Chicken Pox (maybe Nessa got mixed up).

Yeh most likely if it is Shingles your kids will get it, but then they may not. DH has never had chicken pox and MIL stuck him with every kid that had it when he was younger so he'd get it. Probably just depends on their natural immunity. But i think its better to get it for them now then later.

Did you GP say any more on what happens if it is shingles? I know that chicken pox can effect the baby not sure about shingles though.

Best of luck and hope its just a rash!

nah she just said to watch it. I would have thought my kids would have signs of chicken pox's by now if they were to get it. Only Glenn has been vaccinated against it.

Not sure about shingles but chicken pox you have usually for 2 weeks before you break out, so maybe they caught it from you at a later time and are yet to show? My brother had the chicken pox which he got from his mate who had been over, my sister was the next to get it and i didnt get it for another 2 weeks after that (well have visual signs). But hopefully its not that and just something minor.

yeah I really think its a fungal thing. I might try & get into see her again tomorrow as its no better.

Ive just had the shingles and it was confirmed with a blood test, perhaps you could ask your dr about it.

hmmm yes I will do that. at least then I can either leave a long to runs it course or treat it for what it is.

FJ why not try putting a bit of anti fungal cream on it to see if that works? Broad spectrum anti-fungals are readily available over the counter at pharmacies and I don't think it could hurt to give that a try (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Yeah I have been hunting the house for the nappy cream i have (had) that was antifungal but can't find it. Its actually looking a little better tonight. seems to have scabbed over after my shower. See what its like in the morning.

eta - Im sure its not shingles now. It never blistered like it says in does on the wikapedia site.