Thread: sore wrists

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

Question sore wrists

I gave birth to DS on 14 Dec 07 and have had really sore wrists since about a week later. I thought it was just because I was getting used to holding him and supporting his head etc, but they're sorer than ever at the moment and he's 8 wks. Pain is at its worst when I first wake up (no matter what the time of day or night...) Panadol doesn't seem to be helping and I'm breastfeeding so don't know that I can take anything stronger. Dr says it will just get better with time... any other ideas/suggestions?

DoubleK Guest

what sort of pain is it? could it be RSI (wow i am having a mental blank - repetitive strain injury is right isnt it??) what kind of work did you do before bubs?

sorry i cant be much help, perhaps you could see another doctor, it may or may not be linked to having just had a baby... and also, it may not just get better with time! you might need stronger pain killers.

good luck with it, i hope you feel better soon!

Now, I don't mean to be alarming, but I know that pain that's at it's worst on waking can be a sign of arthritis. I would think that a second opinion would be a good idea.

Do hot or cold packs help with the pain? Could you look into getting a wrist brace?

I think that fish oil is good for joints as well.

? have to consult the road map on my stomach...

I'm a teacher, so lifting a heavy and growing 8wk old isn't something I'm used to, and I'm rather small... only 153cm... I've had some arthritis in my knees, so perhaps it could be that. Have tried a wrist brace, but now it's both wrists and the only brace small enough made my skin itch. Cold packs seem to dull the pain a little. As I'm breastfeeding I can't take anything stronger than panadol, and I guess can't take that forever either. When I get up to feed DS in the night I have to run cold water over my wrists for a minute first before going and getting him out of his cot because my wrists are sort of stiff as well... Is it physios who are helpful with this sort of thing?

DoubleK Guest

yeah perhaps a physio could help you!
    maybe even see a diff doctor for a 2nd opinion?

good luck with it!