Thread: What else causes sore bbs (apart from preg)

Question What else causes sore bbs (apart from preg)

Just a parallel thread to my u/s one - my bbs have been increasingly painful since Wed (CD21) and I have never EVER experienced this in my life. I can't cross my arms or sleep on my stomach. They are very tender and it's in the nipple area rather than the whole bb. Is there ANYTHING other than pregnancy that can cause this? I know that sore bbs in preg are usually caused by a rise in progesterone, but my bloods from CD20 indicated that my progesterone levels were in the 'normal' range. I'm on CD25 now and took a test this morning which was a BFN, and given that I seem to have polycystic ovaries, I'm not really hopeful that I'm pregnant. What else can cause this? They've been so sore for the last 5 days :'( I've never even had sore bbs with AF before.
    Totally confused!!!!

Just because you've not had sore BBs before AF before doesn't mean you wont ever get this as a pre AF symptom. Over the years what I get has changed. I went years without getting sore BB's but for about the last year I've been getting that as a pre AF symptom. I also used to get really heavy AF's and haven't for the last few years - our bodies can change from time to time. I didn't used to get PMS but now I do. That said, at CD20 you wouldn't have implanted (if you are pregnant) so of course your level would have been normal then. Unfortunately you are going to have to wait and see, and make sure you test with FMU when you do!!!

Spuddle, I would get sore BB's from ovulation till AF arrived and then for a couple of days after as well. Quite painful too, hurt to lay on my side and have anything touching them etc..
    Hopefully you just tested too early and a BFP will show up for you in the next week or so

Nic

similarly to the others that have posted, i would also get incredibly painful bb's around about the time of ovulation. I would also have trouble just wearing bras up until mid-af, probably because i tended to be a cup size bigger for half my cycle...

Hi all, thanks for your responses.
    Really? Sore bbs from O until a few days into AF? Yuck!!!! I hope this is a one off - not sure I want to spend 50% of my life with sore bbs!!
    Satya - the bloods were to test for hormonal imbalances for PCOS. We've been trying to conceive without luck for 18 months so the doc sent me to have my hormone levels checked. My U/S indicated that I had polycystic ovaries according to my beast of a sonographer but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to know that for sure as I have an appointment to go through the films with my doc then. Sigh...

Good luck with the diagnosis. I've been investigated twice for that over the years and both times I was found not to have it. I had the hair growth, acne & obesity (I didn't personally think I was obese, maybe a little overweight) but my scan came back normal with just two follicles. I also suffered from infertility but that seems to have corrected itself by me getting a new partner.