Thread: co sleeping and a crawling bub!

Default co sleeping and a crawling bub!

I co sleep with DS When DH goes to work at midnight( he is a baker).

My question is how do you stop an active baby crawling and falling off the bed! I unfortunately had it happen this morning and I am utterly devastated by it. DS is ok but my heart breaks when I think about it!

We thought maybe those rails, but I am sure DS will pull himself over them?

Any advice would be great, I really dont want to give up co sleeping with my gorgeous DS!!!

Thanks x

Hi,

I'm not sure we don't co sleep but do often put Noah in with me in the morning after DH has gone to work and so have had the same experience and it's horrible. Because we don't co sleep I wouldn't want to spend money on rails etc but I'd also love to hear everyone's ideas! Good luck getting an answer!

Hi,

We co-sleep, however our little one is yet to crawl - not far behind you though! I've been looking into bed rails but am finding it hard to find ones that will fit a bed with a recessed mattress.

Could you put a cot/spare mattress on the floor beside you incase he wriggles off again? I've heard of this suggestion along with pillows etc. You could always put your mattress on the floor until he's a bit bigger. We've only just got a bed. I've been on a mattress on the floor for 51 weeks. Fortunately our new bed is not too high off the ground...

Hopefully someone out there's got some suggestions based on experience....but don't give up just yet

yeah I think We wil be sleeping on the floor tonight, untill we work something out or he gets bigger!
    Thnanks for your help girls! Any other advice would be great!

hi boomba
    we co-sleep as well, and we have taken one of the sides off the cot and pulled it right up next to our bed. dp has tied rope securely around the base of the cot and our bed so that it is really tight and there is no gap between the cot and the bed, if that makes sense??
    it means that ds can be right up next to us but gives us all more room and ds can't fall out. usually he falls asleep in our bed snuggled up under my arm and then i quietly move him into the cot. so far it seems to work really well..

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    hi boomba
    we co-sleep as well, and we have taken one of the sides off the cot and pulled it right up next to our bed. dp has tied rope securely around the base of the cot and our bed so that it is really tight and there is no gap between the cot and the bed, if that makes sense??
    it means that ds can be right up next to us but gives us all more room and ds can't fall out. usually he falls asleep in our bed snuggled up under my arm and then i quietly move him into the cot. so far it seems to work really well..
    We ended up doing the same thing, mainly to give us some more room in bed. Oddly enough we had no issue with DD crawling off the bed as she liked to sleep close. She was more of a concern if we had to leave the room, as she would roll anywhere then. So the sidecar cot helped to stop that, as all she could do was roll around in the cot and had to physically crawl up to get to the main bed.

Matryoshka Guest

We used to have our bed right at the wall on one side and then he would either be on that side or in between us depending if it was a nap or we all go to bed together.

We didn't have an issue with crawling really unless it was when DS just woke up and he would crawl to the edge of the bed and he actually stopped there and if i didn't hear him he would cry for me and wait for me to come! he did fall off a few times after getting too close but our bed is very low and it was carpeted and so he wasn't injured. After the first time we started putting pillows along that side to act as a buffer so he would have to crawl over it and usually i'd hear him wake up first (we were in a small house then).

Night times weren't a problem as we'd wake up in the morning together and get up, it was just waking up from naps, so we just used the pillows as a barrier, maybe you could put some soft pillows or mats on the floor so if he does fall out it is padded?

Thanks ladies
    I like the idea of pushing the bed up agaisnt the wall! At least it would be comfier than an old matress on the floor

Now to convince DH to move the bed