Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gentle parenting and Vaccination

lisa-jay Guest

I dont post often here at all, but I dont vaccinate my kids either. I believe their bodies will cope better with infections if they arnt full of the stuff that goes into vaccinations.
    One of the big problem areas for me is that people think the vaccines give life long immunity, and they dont. Chicken pox is a good example, in 15 years time we are going to see young adults coming down with chicken pox, and that disease is much more serious in adults than it is in kids. And generally. if you actually catch chicken pox, you get life long immunity, so, my personal theory, is let them catch it young (which they all have by the way, and all are well)
    Its very hard to get balanced info, and I feel for any person trying to make the decision. I dont think either way is wrong, as long as you have looked into it and are happy with your desicion.
    I can change my mind at a later date, or my kids can choose to vaccinate them selves when they are older. The important thing to me , is that my husband agrees with me, I think it would be awful if partners disagreed and a problem arose later ....so lots of discussion required I think!
    Incidently, my sisters kids both got measles, her eldest had been vaccinated, and her youngest didnt, (I come from London and we had a mini out break a few years ago). The youngest child was reported by the GP as having measles, and the eldest went down as having a virus, the eldest was very poorly, and there are indications that you dont get a typical form of measles if you had the vaccination....but a lot of us parents were suprised by how many of the GPS "wouldn't report" the vaccinated kids, but did the non vaccinated. Didnt paint a true effect of the vaccine.

Like Beckles has said so well...7th heaven I certainly do not consider myself negligent in not vaccinating my children. I have researched this area thoroughly since my eldest daughter was born. There is information out there that quite frankly scares the $^%&$ out of me. There is no way I want my children to have their bodies full of so much stuff from such an early age. I do not like the fact that vaccination bypasses the bodies normal defence mechanisms. This is my right as a parent to choose what is best for my children..same as you have chosen to vaccinate. Im not going to make a statement inferring that you are negligent in your choices even though I do not agree with them.

Lisa Jay that is really interesting about the GPs not reporting the actual incidences. It really wouldnt work in their favour to do so I guess. My best friend's son was fully vaccinated. He got full blown measles when he was 8!

Anyway...it would be a horribly boring world if we all agreed all of the time. I just dont think its ok to be critical of different choices.

Jo

Melinda Guest

I truly believe that each parent makes the very best choices for their child. I believe this is true of every parent here at BB - it's obvious from everybody's posts just how valuable their little ones and their health is.

Whether you immunise or choose other homeopathic methods, the main thing is that you do the best that you can, taking into account your lifestyle and beliefs, to ensure the safety, health and wellbeing of your child.

It's probably worth noting that even children that are immunised can still contract the diseases, although the incidence of that is reportedly minimal so I believe. Children can also contract the diseases before they are able to have their immunisations e.g. a friend of mine's daughter contracted rubella before she could have the needle.

Jacob has been fully immunised, and we feel entirely comfortable with that decision. I know that other BB members who haven't immunised their children will not hold that against us, just as I don't hold anything against those who do not immunise their children. As I said above, we all do what we believe is in the best interests of our children and make well informed decisions and BB is a wonderfully supportive place, respecting the wishes and choices of all who post here.

I choose not to immunise my children. I have researched all I can, and am happy with the result.
    Most of my reasons have already been discussed here. I beleive there is no place for mercury and formaldehyde in my childrens bodies.
    Whilst having measles or chicken pox may be uncomfortable, I don't think it is worth the risk. These are simply normal childhood illnesses. Yes there are some extreme cases, but that is with everything.

How many of the live vaccinations are grown on monkeys internal organs? This isn't propaganda, the was a massive report on the Age recently - it certainly shooshed up the people who were on my back to change my mind. It's funny that these same people have done no research themselves...

Every single child I have known that has recently had chicken pox have all been vaccinated against it.
    The term "immunised" insinuates that the child has immunity from disease and this just isn't true.
    Having said all this making an informed choice - which ever way you decide is the only way to go.

Again Beckles I didn't single anyone out or accuse anyone in this forum, if anything that is exactly what you have done to me here and in another post. I think it is safe to say that we probably wouldn't agree on many things, And on my end that's ok. Im not judging you for your beliefs I am simply stating an informed opinion about vacinations, if you read my post you would see that I'm very open minded to different forms of vaccination, and your inference that I just blindly vacinate my children, offends me.

I stand by my post, to do nothing IMO is negligence and there are some people out there who don't have a valid reason for not vacinating their children, they just choose not to because they don't want their baby to have a needle or they are just too lazy to go to the clinic. That in my opinion is negligence.

Alot of people are blindly lead and don't research for themselves. Offering different opinions in here about vaccinations helps people to become informed or atleast prompts them to research and make informed decisions.

At the beginning of this thread the poster asked for different opinions, I simply stated my opinion and I also stated that it has to be the parents choice. I certainly didn't single anyone out like you are doing to me.

In fact being pro vaccination, I really like the idea of natural therapy and homeopathic vacines and if it was available to me where I live I would use it, however it isn't so Ill go for the next best thing.

Ta Dee

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong here guys but this is a forum to discuss gentle options and provide SUPPORT for those who choose gentle options. Please refrain from making personal comments on parent's parenting choices, I am sure whatever choice they make was not a result of not being bothered but rather an informed, researched decsion.

Lets move on now, continuing to discuss options that you have looked into other than traditional vaccination. Any further personal attacks or judging comments will be removed.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Colleen Guest

Going back to Shannons post,

I dont think not vaccinating is anything to do with gentle parenting iykwim?

Gentle parenting could be doing it so they dont get sick or not giving them the needles to prevent pain etc? but then later in life?

Oh Im confused but I certainly dont think it makes anyone a "more gentler parent" if they choose not to vaccinate ?

Not debate, just curiousity.

Jaykob is fully vaccinated except for cpox as he has had them.

I think it was just posted here so discussion started. I think people also post here because they would prefer to get a reply from someone who doesn't post a reply with things like it being an irresponsible thing to do and feel that it may be a more accepting place to discuss alternative options.

I use the term 'gentle' parenting because I don't like using 'alternative' parenting as I don't see it as being alternative. So you are getting me on a technicality there.

Perhaps I should ditch the word gentle as everyone seems to take it as them not being 'gentle' if they dont do these things.

Anyone got a suggestion?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

We have decided to vaccinate but still not sure on the MMR together or seperately if available.

Also vaccination doesn't always provide immunity that lasts which is why some people need Rubella boosters.

I like the term 'Gentle'

This is a huge issue for me and something I have been researching and still researching for atleast 8 months.

My daughter had the hep b at birth but at the time I didn't know anything better other then to trust what they tell me. Anyway she had her 2 months shots done, had a bit of a reaction but was okay then at 4 months I had a horrible feeling it would be worse this time(I had not read anything against vaccinations at this point). I took her anyway and she did, it was nothing major but the poor things thighs were so badly swollen and bruised for not days but weeks and I can't see how whatever was in them was good for her and there is no way I considered her ready for another dose at 6 months!

So since then I have been researching and whats out there is soo scary. This isn't my first child, my son is fully immunised with apparently worse ones then we have now and he handled them fine but it just 'feels' different this time around.

My daughter was sick a month ago with a high temp for a few days which I was told was probably a throat infection because her throat looked angry and was given antibiotics. Then as she got better she developed spots from head to toe. I spoke to someone on the parenting helpline who told me that something like 99.9% likely to be baby measles as babies tend to just feel off with a fewver for a few days then get get some spots as they are feeling better which dissapears in a few days. I wish I knew for sure as if it was then that would mean she has immunity to it?

I know Pinky's daughter has just given birth to a very healthy baby - natural waterbirth - and her daughter wasn't ever vaccinated. Never had any problems after 20+ years and her baby is healthy. So do what you feel is right for your child - there is no law against that. You are not doing it to be negligent, you are doing it because you want whats best for her and she's not going to hate you for that. The fact you have put so much thought and research into it is the main thing.
    Kelly xx

Laura I think its very natural to worry about our children. My eldest dd Jess had her two month shots and reacted to it pretty much the same way as your dd has. I then started researching. I honestly felt nervous every time I had to go to the MCHN or GP for anything child related because the issue came up. I was made to feel like a silly misguided parent who really didnt know the facts or care about the fact that her child was not only going to contract a preventable childhood illness but also spread it amongst the community. This time around with Sammy it does seem to be more of a non issue. I know there are still more people vaccinating than not but its not met with the same huffs and puffs that it seemed to. So yes, it is a gut wrenching decision but trust in your ability as a parent to know what is best for your child. I am sorry that you are having probs with your MIL. Mine is the same but she thankfully steps aside and lets me parent the way I think is best for us...so for us we just dont talk about it. Goodluck with your decision. I can sympathise 100%.

I too was never vaccinated and have never had any problems whatsoever. I have always had perfect health and a very strong immune system.

Jo

Your child health nurse should be able to offer a lot of informational support regarding this....in some areas, it is very common to go about the natural approach, and your child health nurse should have all the information regarding how to go about it...if she doesn't, she should be able to get the information for you.

I respect everyone's right to choose whether or not to choose to immunise/vaccinate their child/ren.

Something I did discover to my somewhat horror during my pregnancy is that having HAD a childhood disease does not guarantee you immunity either. I had Rubella, Measles & Chicken Pox as a child and discovered through blood tests late in pregnancy that I have no or very low natural immunity to Rubella. I also know several people that have had these childhood diseases twice; although in most cases the first bout was mild.

Hi Laura,

I am going thru this at the moment too> We did the 2/4/6month vacc's without even questioning them. Now we are running behind on the 12 month ones as I felt really guilty for not finding out about the vacc's and making an informed choice, rather than going with the flow.....but since I started researching 2months ago, the whole issue has become incredibly complicated. There is no easy answer.

On the mumps, I found out that in the US, the vacc's seem to be wearing off after 15-20years, so now uni students are getting mumps......

It is also SO hard to find non-biased info. One of my biggest concerns is that in 20 years time scientists will discover that a certain vaccination caused cancer or something. I also worry about the additives.

If and when we do vacc again, I am sure that it will be selectively. For example, I would prefer our son to get chicken pox and build up a stronger immunity that way; however I really don't want him to get ill with menn C........good luck in working out decisions!

PS, I have a heap of info that I've been wading through recently and I'd be happy to share it with you. If you are interested in it, send me a message.

It's all so hard isn't it!! I researched this in depth but found that all info was biased one way or the other so how do you know what is the truth?? One thing though, I am sure that there is no mercury in vaccinations in Aus any more. I got this from two sources before I believed it. Yet others keep referring to this and have researched thoroughly also. Does anyone else have any info on this??

Melanie

I have also chosen to vaccinate after doing research on it. However I'm not a rabid pro-vaccination person and I can u nderstand why some parents choose not to.

I found that researching on the internet is full of pitfalls as there is a lot of propaganda from both sides and a lot of info is from the US (where people can be really weird) and it doesn't apply to Australia. Specifically in regards to mercury Australian vaccines haven't contained mercury for a very long time. I can't recall off the top of my head where i found this out but it was a reputable source.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast