Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: vaccination conscientious objection form

i have travelled but just haven't been vaxed.

ps my boys have ALL their body parts and i just stuck my nose in too!

hugs caro.
    beckles

LOL Tanya fair enough....

Caro we've only travelled to the US and I didn't think twice about it... I suppose if we were to travel somewhere and go to visit polio patients I may reconsider... but my objection to vaccinations isn't to exposing the children to the various strains of virus' but to what those virus' are stored in AND the side effects on the bodies of exposing them to virus' in that quantity and the combinations given.

If you google Maureen Hickman or Dr Peter Baratosy you may get some anti-vaccination information that can help you understand that side of the debate

hmmm I just don't understand why, if they are confident that vaxing causing immunisation why would they prevent a child from attending, if that is their arguement then the vaxed kids would be 'safe' from the unvaxed kid and the unvaxed kid wouldn't cause an outbreak because the other kids are 'immune'..... hmmm maybe they are afraid that their vaxing doesn't cause immunity!!!!! ba hahahahaha....

Not all children in daycare have had the full spectrum of infant vaccinations. Children can be in care from as young as six weeks. Those kids obviously have not had many vaccinations yet.

Edited to add: I don't understand either why an immunisation payment is paid to everyone whether or not they vaccinate. Note that I am not criticising those of you who don't vaccinate. If you object to it, then that is fine but it doesn't make sense for the government to offer some sort of payment as an incentive if it is just given to everyone regardless.
    Last edited by Melbo; January 9th, 2007 at 07:49 PM.

melbo it would be discriminating to not give a government payment to ALL parents therefore the payment is offered to all hence you fill out the form.

re childcare i was joking about it to those who don't vax, it was not meant to be a serious statement or topic of conjecture. thanks for yor input though.

beckles

Thats brilliant Caro!

I interpreted the immunisation payment to be an incentive to those who maybe had not made up their minds.. I resented it so much when it was introduced I think around 1998 when Olivia was born, because I do feel that it needs to remain a choice for parents and the enticement of money might persuade parents without researching all the facts. I dont think its silly for all parents to be entitled to it..not that i have claimed it..because otherwise it is quite discriminatory.....me not having immunised my children doesnt mean i am not well researched and making an informed decision...I dont know if im expressing myself clearly lol...

Jo

Ahhhh yes...true...I dont think i could be unconvinced about my parenting choices/beliefs/ideals either.

Jo

LOL hijack alert

Weve tended to modify our parenting along the way. Ive always coslept with the kids til they were ready to move to their own beds. We dont vaccinate lol. I love extended breastfeeding. Sammy was in a sling lots of the time..not at all anymore though the active little man! We also dont cook animals..and try and be gentle in our approach to life. I have the most wonderful family and I feel like whatever we are doing is working cos the kids are all brilliant little souls!!!!

Sorry again for the hijack

Jo

hi jack away i love talking about AP and then i can hijack your hijack!!!!!!!!
    I extend breastfeed, child led weaning, gentle respectful parenting, no vax, no circ, cloth nappies, co-sleep until my kids are ready to exit the family bed, don't put baby on the floor until 12 months except for brief floor play with them, only DH or i mind them until 4, sling them until around 3, no cots or prams.... um i think thats all. This works for our family and i love it. i know it doesn't for everyone and i respect that for them but i just love parenting in this style.... it's delicious.
    beckles

Well think of it this way. If you don't immunise you save the government a heap of money on what they have to pay towards the medication in your immunisations, so even if you do get the payment you have saved them heaps anyway. Plus just because you don't vaccinate, doesn't mean you don't try other preventative measures, such as some people use homeopathics as an alternative and they cost money so the payment can help towards that.

I do find it odd that there is some sort of incentive payment to vaccinate children, and that it seems to be hidden that you can choose not to vaccinate. I actually thought I had to vaccinate my first, I don't know why I never woke up to the fact that I didn't have to until she was 12mths old.

Linda.

tulip can i ask if you plan on using the conscientious objection form? in your posts, and i'm sure you are not meaning this, but just to clarify, it sounds like you don't believe people that don't vax deserve the payment. i'm not saying this is the case but, to me, your posts are coming across as perhaps judgemental. so i am wondering if there is something underlying in your posts? if not no probs and sorry to have misread them.
    beckles

Beckles, sorry off topic, love your description of how you raise your children. Just wondering though, as I am struggling to be as attentive to my nearly 3yo now that my little one is born... how did you carry your first until 4yo when your second one was born before then. Just wondering if you have any tips on how to stay AP when there are time restraints and lack of arms!

Linda.

no sling until around 3 lol (4 was when they went to kinder so we weren't minding them) but DH and i would have one each and when at home josh wasn't in the sling only when we were out. actually i put josh in the sling the other day, he's 11, as a bit of fun and i could carry him! he's 5"3 but only weights 38kgs.

your kids are closer in age i think, maybe ergo or something and sling? i know a woman that wore 2 slings for twins... very ingenious.
    beckles

Tanya, I don't think you came across as judgemental - just curious.

I think the name of the payment is also aimed at the fence sitters on immunisation or the undecided.

I suppose you could think of the payment as being the 'payment for putting some thought into the issue of immunisation' But that's too long a title.

So you get the form and then the payment if you're a conscientious objector, (and I understand a condition of that is that the dr gives you a spiel on vaccination) so they know you've thought about it.

If they gave the payment ONLY to people who got their kids immunised, then it could be said that people only got them immunised for the money. This is their way out, that the government can say 'well, you can't have done it for the money, cos you could have had the money anyway'. So that keeps them safe from people blaming them from tempting them into making a choice based on financial reasons.

it may be a thing in queensland day care centres, i don't think schools need it to occur. can i ask a question without starting a debate? i am curious as to your decisions not to immunise? i just took it for granted to get my DD immunised to protect her from the diseases. (although i hate getting them done as she screams the place down and then isn't feeling well for a day or two afterwards, but i guess that is better than possibly getting a disease).

Very interesting topic!
    I had my DD immunised, although i also thought at the time that ALL kids had to be.

Tulip - I agree with you, i thought you had to have it done otherwise you wouldnt recive the payment. I thought the payment was also a insentive to have your children done - thing you learn hey!?

Hollo - I'll be interested to see the answer for you question. My baby will be done also - same reason you had your DD done.

I'm not for or against it, dont agree or disagree, who am i to judge anyone elses decision - weather they do it or not - its up to the parents. I know a few parents who chose not not to. i would hate to think people will have it done just to recive the money - although im sure this will happen alot.
    I also wasnt aware of the homeopathic option - can someone please explain what this is to me? (i have no idea!)

hollo chance would be a fine thing :biggrin: asking that question and then not wanting to start a debate! i would suggest you start cruising sites and look into it yourself. to be honest i am not comfortable discussing why i don't vax in here, there is lots of reasons for and against and i guess it's what you believe is more important and your belief in how bigga threat communicable diseases is. for me the pros are very limited if non existant but i guess for the majority of people that is not the case. as with everything it is a personal choice.
    happy researching!
    beckles

Hollo, I immunised my first 3 kids, but my 4th had an adverse reaction. This made me decide to actually research the topic. I was going to get the rest done, but I just don't know if I can. I may do it in the future, but not on the advised schedule and I will be giving the MMR as separate doses.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast