Thread: GD?? please explain

Red face GD?? please explain

Hi all just wondering if anyone can help me. I am 29 weeks pg & last week had my routine antinatel app & had the glucose/ gd blood test. i got a call yesterday saying that my sugar levels were a bit high n i now have to do another more extensive test. ive looked up GD on the net but i think all its done is confuse me & scare me a bit. it gave a list of symptions that pretty well matched me. i just want to know whats goin to happen if i do have it & how its going to affect me, my bub & the birth etc. if anyone can help ill be very gratefull.

thanks

It really depends. Some are able to manage GD with diet alone, others (like me) need to inject themselves with insulin. The concern is unstable blood sugars and not how you manage the GD. If your sugars are stable then the potential complications (a big baby and all the hoo ha that goes with that - early induction, c-section etc etc) are not really issues and a good OB should let you be.

I had GD and with that an additional risk factor of a previous stillbirth (not related to GD at all) some private OBs wanted me to be induced early or have a c-section but my gem of an OB was happy to let me go into spontaneous labour and trial a vaginal breech birth because I was well controlled / managed and the baby on US was measuring as an average baby without a big tummy (no extra fat stores).

You can still have the birth you want with GD - just keep well controlled and find a supportive OB.

Depends on the doctors, as Michelle said. GD isn't scary: most people manage it with diet. Some do have to inject insulin and normal diabetes CAN result from GD, but that doesn't mean it will. GD doesn't mean you will have a big baby, just the chances are a bit higher.

I can't tell you what's going to happen because, right now, no-one knows. It depends on the severity of the GD and if you're borderline on the first test it doesn't sound like it will be too severe, so things should proceed as "normal" - or as normal as pregnancy is allowed to get by the doctors!

I was borderline in my 1st preg and was diagnosed as GD and had to do a fingerpr!ck test after each meal to monitor bsl. I was able to control mine with diet and have just found out I do not have it this pregnancy which is great.

Some doctors tend to blow gd out of proportion a bit and scare you into thinking it means you'll have a massive baby, but there is lots of evidence this is not true (in fact there's a great article on BB somewhere...) My ds was a healthy 8 pounds 8 ounces.

Anyway - wait and see what your next test says, as many people are sent for the 2nd test but then not diagnosed. Good luck.

Talking

Test results came in - i dont have GD!!! yay!! my last scan also showed a low lying placenta but ive had another scan and it has moved to a normal spot so no GD and no Placent Previa