Thread: gestational diabetes diet - just interested

clare076 Guest

Default gestational diabetes diet - just interested

Just out of a matter of interest,

What does you typical daily diet consist of for breakfast, lunch, tea and snacks? Do you feel satisfied on this diet? For those that had morning sickness, do you feel sick or nauseous while on the diet, or does the regultion of your blood sugar level make it more tolerable?

I suppose this is more aimed at those on diet controlled measures, but I am sure those on insulin still follow a set diet plan.

When I had GD with both of my bubs - the first one was diet controlled at first and then needed insulin in the last few weeks.
    My second baby I controlled it with diet alone, no problems.

My typical diet was:

Breaky - 2 x slices burgen bread with vegemite, cup of tea with one sugar

Morning snack - apple, some almonds

Lunch - Pasta with tomato sauce, OR burgen bread sandwich with ham and salad OR Vitawheat 9 grains with cheese and tomato

Dinner - meat and salad/veges, or pasta, or casserole with rice/pasta

Before bed snack - apple OR grilled cheese on burgen toast, glass of milk

That's a fairly rough guide - my diet was more varied than that I certainly didn't eat those same things every day.
    The main things were I cut out all sweets and sugar (except for in my tea) and crappy junk food, and really heavy carbs like white bread and potatoes.
    I found I was generally ok to eat most other things as long as I watched the portions. If I ate heaps of anything I would have a blow out, I had to learn to really cut down.
    With my first pregnancy I was constantly hungry while on the diet which was why I ended up on insulin. I had cut down my food intake as much as I could and I was still over.
    I never had a problem with my son, after a week or two I adjusted and it was all good with him.

By the time my GD was diagnosed and I started diet control my morning sickness was long gone. The GD was diagnosed at about 28 weeks, the morning sickness was gone at 10 and 14 weeks. There is a theory though that some m/s is caused by swinging bloodsugar levels and if this is the case I'd imagine that a GD-type diet would help. It's a healthy diet for pregnancy, whether you have GD or not so can't hurt to try.

For me a typical days food is:
    B/fast: 2 weetbix with skim milk & an apple
    Snack: Low fat yoghurt or small piece or cheese and water crackers
    Lunch: Healthy Choice meal or wholegrain sandwich w/cheese, avocado & tomato
    Snack: Piece of fruit
    Dinner: pasta, meat & veg, stir fry. If I have meat & veg or stir fry, I usually have a small amount of potato or rice with it. (Small; I mean no more than a cake of soap sized potato and rice only a cooked handful)
    I try to have some form of low GI carbs with my main meals and I usually walk before or after lunch for 20 mins.
    I am at the moment on diet control (I am 34 wks pg) and don't have to go back to the GD clinic for another 2 wks now.
    I didn't & still don't having an morning sickness.
    Hope this helps

Gracia Guest

1. Most pregnant women need about 300 extra calories per day in the second and third trimesters to gain enough weight. This equals about 16 to 17 calories per pound of ideal body weight.
    2. An extra 10 to 12 grams of protein per day is also needed to help your baby grow normally. It is also helpful to get 45 to 60% of your calories from carbohydrates, 15 to 25% from protein, and 20 to 30% from fat.

clare076 Guest

Thanks girls
    The main reason I am interested is because I am still having regular "all day sickness" and the foods I am eating just don't seem to be sustaining me. IYKWIM. I have also found that I am sooooo thirsty lately, constantly hungry, and generally feel terrible, I eat because I am starving, then vomit because it makes me sooo bloated and ill. I do have a thyroid condition and they are querying wheat intolerance also, but we have a history of diabetes and I was right on the border with my DD. This baby is also now measuring over 2 weeks ahead so has me slightly worried. I figured it cant hurt but to start with a GD diet now, and hopefully it will at least elleviate the sickness.

Gracia - thanks for the information, I did know that, so not really what I was after but thank you for taking the time to post it.

If anyone else has any ideas or food ideas I would appreciate it.

My gf has all day morning sickness and had started keeping a food diary. When we looked back at it, she was having a lot of high GI foods, so she found that not long after she was hungry again and then she felt sick. She has started to try eating more low GI foods and more foods with protein in it. Another little trick is that she sips natural mineral water or soda water when having meals, so she keeps burping (sorry if TMI) and pushes her food down IYKWIM.

clare076 Guest

Thanks
    I am going to try and start a low GI diet tomorrow, I am finding the exact same thing is happening as your friend Jooleshere. Within half an hour of eating I am feeling sick and yucky again. Last night I had lamb (cooked on the bbq), a very small baked potato and steamed vegies and felt amazing afterwards and for the first time in weeks I slept really really well.

So now I just have to find some guidelines for low GI foods.

Clare - i have a book - The Low GI Diet - i was following in vaguely before getting preg, and found it good. It does mention in it somewhere that it is also suitable to follow when preg.
    If you like, if you are coming to the perth craft show - can lend it to you.

clare076 Guest

Thanks mum2bee. I am going to drop into the library today and have a look for something to get me started but I would really love to have a look at yours. Will definately be going to the craft show so I will grab it then. Thanks

Clare, if you're interested in low-GI, check out the site glycemicindex. This is the Australian website that Prof Jenny Brand-Miller (author of the the New GI Revolution and the Low GI Diet book) and her team have put together, including the official australian GI database.

I thoroughly recommend any of her books, as she shows how easy it is to eat this way and it has changed my life!
    Last edited by AnyDream; July 17th, 2007 at 09:42 AM.

No worries Clare - will chuck it in my car now, so i dont forget it!
    I also recommend the web page. Not sure if it is that one, or another one i stumbled across, but you could register, and they would email you monthly various updates etc.