Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #1

thought I'd update this thread too
    I am now booked in for a c section on 6th September....mixed emotions about this after my push for a VBAC but its the GD that has brought it on - my BSL just aren't stable enough
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Artechim View Post
    Noni, I was told 5.5 fasting and 7 after meals. Even with insulin I am still going over, and I am not even eating as much carbohydrates as the dietician said to. Two peices of wholegrain bread will give me a result around 8.5. It is really getting me down, I am being so careful with what I eat and how much but I can't seem to control it. I had my insulin doses adjusted yesterday but so far I am getting results just as high as before.

MrsD72, the insulin isn't as bad as I thought, but I do have some big black bruises on my thighs where I must have hit veins.
    my diabetes educator told me morning levels below 5.5 and after meals no higher than 6.5 - it was hard and I understand about the bread thing too - I can normally only eat one bit anyway otherwise I feel bloated!!
    The insulin is going ok for me - morning levels have settled down but its the after meal ones that are all over the place, hence why I am now booked in for a c section

arte - sorry to hear your having such trouble with ur levels
    mrs d72 - sorry bout the c section but just think when ur holding ur little bundle it will all be worth it
    as for me i am completely fed up with this whole thing i havn't monitpred for two days and instead of getting up and doing it today i got up and ate 4 sweet biscuits 2 pieces of toast and had a juice lol... and tmw is my appt at the hospital lol... i seem to get normal levels all the time anyway as long as i am moderately active i feel like i am putting tiny holes in myself every second day for nothing and its really starting to get me down.. i talked to the drs about it and they just use the excuse of oh but it might get worse later so u need to keep an eye on it grrrr.. my test was only over by .3 and i keep wishing it was just that little bit less because it seems like i am doing this for nothing sorry about the winge i just had to get it out

Quote Originally Posted by *noni*e* View Post
    mrs d72 - sorry bout the c section but just think when ur holding ur little bundle it will all be worth it
    sorry but I don't feel grateful at all for having a c section
    I really pushed for a VBAC this baby (having had 2 c sections) and was pressured by 2 Drs at the hospital to book in for a c section this time only days ago
    My main concern about having a c section was the recovery time - I have been very inactive and imobilised through the whole pregnancy and I was hoping the VBAC and the recovery from that would be better
    sorry if that sounds harsh but I feel like my body just hates me at the moment and to be told I have to have a c section was the last straw

Can you "tell" if you're suffering from GD? What symptoms are there - I'd like to know what to look out for prior to the glucose test.

:hugs: mrsd72 i completely understand u not feeling greatful for it i am sorry if my response earlier sounded condesending i shouldnt have commented without knowing the whole story hope u can forgive me...
    tmw i am off to fight for my birth preferences too with the ob who tells me one thing one week and another the next see how it goes i suppose...
    mrsr - im not sure abiut the symptoms the only thing i noticed is every time i did tests for gd i felt really sick when they told me there were no side effects to the test dunno if that helps??

I didn't have any symptoms of the GD although they asked had I been thirsty more....
    the diabetes educator also said that having a craving for sweet things wasn't necessarily a sign of GD (I didn't have sweet cravings either!)
    noni - sorry about my reply - I'm just very sensitive to those types of comments at the moment. Good luck with getting the birth you want

mrsd72 - totally understand i probably wouldn't have been as nice about it as you were lol
    all seems on track for my preferences they are letting me go back to midwife care at the birth centre as long as i see the diabetic dr every 2 weeks and my levels stay stable so fingers crossed!

Amelia Guest

Well I have been diagnosed with GD so I thought I would come and introduce myself!!

Had my Dr appt today after testing on saturday morning. I definately have it, kinda disappointed in myself but what can I do about it now! Dr said it is only a mild case so there really shouldn't be any problems about levels and everything as long as I stick to the diet that the nutritionist(sp?) gives me on thursday.

Okay now I am going to go look through the other threads and try and learn some more about this!!

~Amelia.

I was just wondering what amounts of insulin other people are on? Both the Diabetes Ob and Diabetes consultant were alarmed at how much insulin I need to keep my sugar under control. I currently take 30 units of long acting at night, and 40,12,26 units of novorapid for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Art - Im currently on 14 units of Protaphane Innolet each night before bed. But I ws told that was a VERY low amount.

Were they the amounts you started on or have they been adjusted along the way? I originally started at 12 units but increased to 14 after a week or so.

Just thought I would sub here. I haven't seen this thread before

I am almost 25 weeks pg with 4th bubba.. 3rd time GD.. I am currently on 12 units night, 10 units morning of novamix.

They are still adjusting my levels accordingly.. I have been on insulin for 2 weeks now.. this is also my 3rd pg with insulin..

Art...that is a fairly normal amount of insulin for your stage of the pregnancy....your pregnancy related insulin resistance is at its peak between about 28 - 36 weeks so don't be stressing about it. As a very rough guide pre pregnant diabetics use up to 1unit pr kg of body weight. Pregnant diabetic women at your gestation use up to 3 or 4 times that amount. It is a very individual thing and has absolutely nothing to do with how "good" or "bad" you are...it is all do with how much of the insulin resistant hormone you are producing.......so if any doc says you are taking too much and is implying you are not looking after yourself, just nod you head and smile and internally tell them to rack off!!
    JMHO for what it's worth.

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi Everyone

Just a quick question and I hope you can help me?

I was wondering whether a gestational diabetes test is standard now? My OB has requested one today for me so I have to get it done before my next appointment on 22 October - I am a bit sick with worry and wondering whether I have it.

I am 25 weeks pregnant and do eat sweet things when I feel like them - a couple of squares of chocolate after dinner and the occasional bowl of ice cream but otherwise, this Bub is more savoury. Unsure whether that has anything to do with it.

I have no family history of diabetes and I am 29 years old. The OB said that I looked a bit bigger than usual at 25 weeks but Bub measured 25 weeks and 1 day on the scan. I was a big Bub too weighing 9 pound 1 and my DP was about that also. Unsure whether that means I'm carrying a big bubba.

I have no symptoms at all. Will take the test but I guess I'm just worried as I have no knowledge on GD.

Love Bindy xxxx

It is pretty standard at 28 weeks I thought. Maybe your Dr is just erring on the side of caution if you look bigger.. Although if there are no sugars in your urine I can't see why he would want it done now

Good Luck though. Here's hoping you dont have to give up those couple squares of choc

Hi , To all you lovley ladies that i hope can give me some advice .
    * this is going to be a little long so i appologize *
    On Friday i went and had the regular one Hour GD 26 week Blood test . Didnt think alot of it at the time . Monday my Gp rang me and said the results were very High and i would need to get the Challenge test done .
    ( I am under share care ( im not sure how other states work ) But i see my GP for all my Baby Check up appoitments and have only had one midwife appoitment at 11 weeks to book in to hospital )
    My GP is on Holiday went on holiday that day and well the referal tells me nothing . I under stand its a Two hour experiance . But am i Meant to Fast or am i Meant to be on the CARB diet for three days prior . The Hospital & Gp are all an hour way and well im all a little confused .
    i have a family history of diabities - my father is 50 , my brother is 18 there insl dependant - my mother ( dec ) had GD when she was preg with me . I had already asked my GP about the chances and she tells me remote ! lol
    (Just so u know my GP's comments to me when i go in there firing questions is i dont know whats wrong with you i will refer you to specilist . - 6 weeks and specilist later he told me i had a bleed on the brain that was 7 months ago ) So i would just like to know what i am to expect i cant get to the hospital to get it done untill this friday so i am just at home stressing .

sorry again about the length - first time young mum with little suppourt - all comments apprechiated .

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks Aussienic, hopefully all will be okay but we'll just wait and see, I will get the test done in the next few weeks I guess as long as Bub is healthy, that's all I care about really.

Little Miss Chez, sorry to hear about the bleed in the brain, how terrible. Let me know if you get any advice back or help regarding the GD advice etc. I can't give you any unfortunately as I have no experience with GD myself but I really am praying everything is ok for you and Bub.

Hugs xx

chez: From what I have done.. for the 2 or 3 hour test. I had a higher then normal carb diet a few days before and then fast from midnight . Not an easy task being pregnant.

I was lucky this pregnancy I said why cant you just treat me as though I have GD and let me get away without doing the 3 hour test and they agreed and sure enough i have it.. Keep us updated on how you go with your appointment

now for a question of my own.. now its a good thing but.... My suagrs are either normal or to low.. last week I went all shaky and felt not with it and when I tested my sugars they were 3.1 and my Bp was also up. I larer got told I was having a low. Now this has never happened in pregnancy. I don't know why i am suddenly going low or staying normal even though they havent changed my insulin. I had a GD app on wednesday and antenatal friday so will ask these questions then as well..

Has this happened to anyone else? I find it strange that this stage of pregnancy is usually when it plays up

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast