Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #2

If you're after something more interesting for breakfat I have found omlettes to be fantastic. You can pretty much put in anything you want and it will not affect your BSL. Stay away from toast though. I love an omlette with cheeses bacon and mushroom, but I sometimes add sun dried tomatoes for an extra taste.

Sandles Guest

I have a kambrook omlette maker and its a god send. I highly recommend omlettes too.

Yeah I love omlettes :-)

I have my next apointment with the diabetes doctor tomorrow and my blood sugar levels have been great, all under 7.0. There have only been 2 instances where they have been 7.4, so I am pretty happy with how it has been going.

Just wondering what kinda muesli bars are you all having?
    I can't find any good ones, and I get disappointed.

I've never though about an omelete for breakfast.
    Thanks.

Wow. I thought McDonalds would make your levels go really high.
    I'd like to try and see what it does to me one day.

I'm not sure if anyone here is like me and actually had diabetes beforehand and not gestational diabetes.
    If there is, I was wondering if they still made you do the GTT...
    Last edited by Jewel; January 23rd, 2008 at 11:40 AM.

Tennykins, I am having a bit of a clash with my Ob at the moment who thinks that what I have is actually TYpe 2 not GD. A test in Sept 06 said that I didn't have it, but he reckons that because of my age it is now type 2. My endocoronologist is interested to see if everything goes back to normal after the birth, but since I have afamily history of it, he can't guarantee it.
    And as for testing I cn'at imagine they would. WHat would it say - that yes you had diabetes? You already knew that! I think they are more interested in your long term control if you have existing diabetes, and are more concerned with readings going down rather than up.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if they'd make me do it. Lol. yeah, it's not like they can tell me I have diabetes twice. LOLLLL!
    I've been going really well lately with my levels, they're in the 5's with a few 4's.

I hope yours goes back to normal after the birth. Good luck with that.
    xx

If you have already have diabetes they will definitely not make you do the GTT...YAY for me!! They would never knowingly put you or your baby at risk to do a test that will give them absolitely no information and could in fact make you quite ill.

Muesli Bars in general are EVIL!! Best avoided most of them. I don't know of any that are low GI as they are all stuck together with bits of honey and lovely gooey bits

I occasionally eat the Uncle TOby's Muesli Bars as they are advertised as Low GI on the box. Apparently all of the oats and stuff in them slow down the absortion of the sugars. That siad I don't eat them all the time as sometimes they can push my sugar to high 6's, but if it comes down to that or gorgoing on something sweet and evil, then I figure it is a good trade off.

I went to see the diabetes doctor this morning and he said that I really need to get my levels below 6.9 so I don't have to go on insulin. He said if I get over 7.0 in the next few days I will have to go straight onto insulin eeeeeek so I am going to be extremely strict on myself now.

How is everyone else going?

All my readings have been below 5.5 and 7 since Sunday which I'm really pleased with. Especially because I haven't seen a dietician or educator since they quickly gave me the glucose monitor Tuesday week ago! We were supposed to go Tuesday morning but the educator called at 8.15am saying she forgot they had some meeting with the dept of health or something Like she couldn't have checked her diary the day before, when hubby hadn't organised morning off work and we had got sitter for Miss 3!

Anyway, I've been devouring the threads on here and the internet in general, bought myself some diabetic magazines and cookbooks and pretty much trying to educate myself lol.

I guess the most important thing I've found is to reduce my carb portion and to have protein with my meals. Its made me think alot more about what I put in my gob.
    Last edited by Jesstibb; January 24th, 2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Removed erroneous smiley

Shell, sorry to hear about your readings. My Dr said I had to keep my readings below 6.8, which I found to be really hard since I was so hungry all the time. Insulin is not a bad thing. It takes some of the worry out of what you eat as you can always have a little bit more insulin if you need it. I have been giving myself 3 shots a day since September and I have worked out that I only have about 32 more days to do it!
    Good luck with your readings!

Thanks Kirsten. I just seem so stressed about the thought of going onto insulin so I am doing all that I can to prevent it. I just had my lunch and had roast beef (all lean - no fat) with sweet potato and veges. I am hoping that in 2 hours time my blood sugar levels will be below 6.9. But I agree Kirsten, it is very very hard that is for sure. I try to keep my serving size down especially with rice, which can sometimes be the culprit. I can't eat rice noodles because everytime I do, my levels go above 7.4. It is a great learning experience though I will give them that....

Sandles Guest

Bizarre, but we have been told to NEVER go above 6.5. Even 6.8 and we are told to ring the hospital. And as I said in a previous post, I was told muesli bars are a big NO NO. No matter the brand.

We are going camping this weekend with another family who will most definitely have chips, chocolates, soft drink etc. This is going to be hard!

That is very interesting then.....

I think I will just try to aim for under 6.8 just in case.....

My blood sugar levels were only 5.1 after lunch yipeeeeeee Now I just have to get them to stay that way :-)

Arghhhh it is 4:38 and I am sooooo hungry, I suppose that is just from trying to keep my levels down. arghhhhh I finish at 5pm so hoping I can get through so then I can have an apple once I get home to tie me over for dinner. I can hear a wrapper of some sort, someone is eating in the office and it is just making me more hungrier hahahahaha the pain of it all...... We are going out for dinner tonight with a friend so I am hoping the menu has something that I can eat and won't make me hungry afterwards. I might just have to make sure I order a side of salad so at least that will help fill me up without affecting my BSLs.

I'm going to the movies tonight. This is a longshot, is popcorn ok? lol or a choc top lol, pretty please.

Was naughty yesterday and had hot chips and a pluto pup. Reading was 8.0.!

Just wondering...last time I went to my check up, the diabetes educator said Im doing well but just re-think my diet. So, even though I know I am slipping up by eating 'bad' foods and I get the high reading - will they put me on insulin? Or do they put u on insulin if you had low GI and get high readings?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast