Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #2

8 isn't that high, I was allowed up to 7.5. If you admit that you ate something naughty I don't think they would put you on insulin.

Sandles Guest

Caz, I had a fillet'ofish meal from Macca's. Small chips but went the diet coke. Wasn't even game to do a reading after! LOL

We were told that going high is only acceptable if we KNOW WHY. Any unexplained high glucose needs to be looked at. So you're safe my friend :-)

Hi Sandles...im just worried that the diabetes educ. will go down on me like a tonne of bricks - she did say last time I have to think about my 'diet'.
    Its been really hard and just recently have been eating 'naughty' stuff. My mother made this biscuits - so bad! I can't just leave them in the fridge uneaten.

So don't leave them in the fridge! Get rid of them. Give them to your DH and maybe explain to your mum that you don't want anymore - she can bring you some in hospital after the baby is born! After my last child our first stop after being discharged from hospital was Baskin Robbins for an ice cream! So just get rid of temptation and hold on a few weeks. I cheated the other day as well and had cheesecake but I had the option of taking an extra bit of insulin and the impact was minimal. The occasional treat is OK. Good luck!

Yes I did give heaps of the bickies to DH to take to work but we still have some left so DH taking them tomorrow. My son likes them, so have to spare him some too.

My mother is one of these types when she cooks - she cooks for a whole army! I hate it...

When I leave the hospital Im going to def. get some take away enroute to home!

Well girls, I had a reading of 7.3 over the weekend and now have to make an appointment with diabetes educator so I can get myself started on insulin. So not happy about it, but I just have to remember it is for the health of my little baby DJ. At least I will only need to be on it for about 5.5 weeks :-)

Oh and it was from eating mash potato, we went out for dinner and there wasn't a great variety for me...... so I had to eat it.

Wow that kinda sucks Shell. That makes me a bit nervous because I was feeling a bit proud of myself because most of mine are within limits but I occasionally throw a +7. I saw the DE today and she said my numbers look ok, so fingers crossed I can keep it up.

Hey Shell, sorry about the insulin, but it is only for a couple fo weeks and now you can relax a bit with the whole food thing. Still have to be careful of course, but certainly less stressful. I stop eating potato completely with GD as no matter what form it is in it pushes my sugar up. DOesn't help when there is nothing on the menu to replace it with. Only 5.5 weeks so not too many jabs!

Sandles Guest

I pack my food for the day every morning and its the same things everyday. I vary my fruit and sandwich fillings but not by much. So I find that my readings are always the same, and I struggle to keep in the 4's. My readings are always low. So I am happy to cheat once or twice a fortnight. Especially if we go away. Like camping on the weekend just gone. I made ALL our food for the car travel, planned EVERY meal for the weekend and then when we got home on Monday night, I just told hubbie, Macca's all round. I was tired. But at the same time, I try to be conscience of picking the less evil out of the menu. Like I asked the girl for a diet coke and she gave me a normal one. Tasted friggin good I might add! But I knew after one sip it had to go back. So I lined up again and got my diet coke. Great. Tasted like crap LOL. And with chips, I know I can go about 10 and then I give the rest to hubbie who is a chip head. DD goes the fruit bag god bless her :-) I should too!

Tell ya what though. My belly has grown this week. I went to put on a fav t-shirt today, and no go. It didn't hang right over my belly (its a non-maternity top but big size). And my abs are protesting big time now. They are truly sore. I have to admit though, I feel more comfortable than with DD. Keeping the water up, I find my ankles remain normal and just my fluid retention generally this time round is alot less.

Thanks girls, I have an appointment with the diabetes educator on Friday afternoon, so shall see how that goes.

Default Pancakes

Found White Wings, shaker pancake mix, Wholemeal.

Just made them, they are really good. They have much less GI then the normal ones.

See wot my reading comes at.

They would want to have a lower GI since normal pancakes are shocking! But what do you puton them? Can't put yummy maple syrup, or jam.

hmmmm pancakes, something I wish I could have. I should check the gluten free pancake mix to see if it is low-gi - very much doubt it though.... I had big cravings for pancakes at the beginning of my pregnancy. Couldn't get enough of them....

I put St Dalfour's apricot jam - its got low sugar and tastes real.

The gluten free one would give you a high cos its got rice flour. After having a gluten free muffin - my sugar went high. Diabetes educator said cos of the rice flour. There is a sugar free maple syrup but it tastes yuk.

Ahhh interesting and yeah I noticed that when having a gluten free muffin too....

Sandles Guest

Oh girls I hear you! I LOVE pancakes and if I crave anything, then thats the one! So Caz, let us know your levels asap girl!

Gawd, off camping again this weekend. And doing a very difficult 4wd track to get there. Sheesh. I am too far along for this now. Told DH that this is the last trip until baby is born. Things we do

Holy cow! Had a 9.1 after eating Special K for breakfast which is normally fine for me! What the? I'm noticing a trend with my breakfast readings, really hard to keep below 7. I won't be surprised if they notice it soon too, although had two appointments this week (DE and normal registrar) and they both said my levels were fine.

Is it normal to just have problems with the morning readings? All my lunch and dinner readings are in the 4's and 5's.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast