Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coeliac / Gluten Free Recipes

Default Coeliac / Gluten Free Recipes

I saw a few recipes in New Idea that made me immediately think of Jen & Nell who I know need a gluten free diet...

I haven't cooked them, but the photos look absolutely divine!

Chocolate Almond Brownies
    Gluten & Lactose Free

2/3 cup non dairy margarine
    1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
    2/3 cup carob chocolate buttons
    1/4 cup gluten free plain flour
    1/3 cup carob powder
    1/4 tsp gluten free baking powder
    3 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup almond meal
    fresh fruit to garnish

1) Preheat oven to 180deg. Place margarine, sugar & chocolate into a heatproof bowl & melt over a pot of boiling water.
    2) Add the flour & powders to the mixture & combine well, then add the eggs & beat in well. Now fold in the almond meal.
    3) Using a 25cmx25cm paper lined & lightly greased bakiing tin, pour in the mixture & place in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes. Cool for 5 mintues before tipping onto a wire rack.
    4) Decorat with fresh fruits or ice with melted carob chocolate.

Flourless Hazelnut Torte
    Gluten Free

360gm best quality cooking bittersweet chocolate
    30gm soft unsalted butter
    30gm castor sugar
    12 eggs, seperated
    1/2 cup hazelnuts
    cocoa powder / grated chocolate / fresh berries to garnish

1) Preheat oven to 150deg. Grease & line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin with greasproof paper.
    2) Melt the cholocate & butter in a bowl over a pot of hot water. Fld in the sugar & egg yolks, bating for a few minutes until well combined.
    3) Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat 1/4 of this into the chocolate base. Now fold in the remaining whites & hazelnuts.
    4) Spoon mixture into the cake tin, level & place in the oven for 40 - 50 minutes.
    5) When cake feel firms & springy, remove from oven. Turn it out upside down on a serving platter & remove cake tin. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving or storing. The centre should fall in during the resting period.
    6) Dust with carob, grated chocolate or cocoa powder & serve with fresh berries & hazelnuts.

Peanut Biscuits
    Dairy & Gluten Free

1/2 cup non dairy margarine
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
    2/3 cup brown or white rice flour
    1tsp mixed spice
    pinch of sea salt
    1/2 cup unsalted peanuts

1) Preheat oven to 180deg. Unsing an electric beater, cream the margarine & sugar together until light & fluffy. Add the peanut butter & combine well.
    2) Sift together rice flour, mixed spice & salt, stir in peanuts then add to the first mixture. Roll out into a thick sausage shape & slice into 1cm discs.
    4) Place on lightly greased paper lined baking sheet & bake for 16 - 20 minutes. Remove & allow to cool on a cake rack.

Pumpkin Cake
    Lactose & Gluten Free

6 eggs, seperated
    2 tbsp honey
    1 pumpkin, boiled 7 mashed
    1 tbsp grated orange zest
    1 cup almond meal
    2 cups gluten free flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    Icing optional
    3/4 cup soft icing sugar
    1/2 cup hot water

1) Preheat oven to 180deg. In a bowl whisk together the egg yolks & honey. Add the pumpkin, zest & juice. Combine well.
    2) Sift together the almond meal, flour & baking soda then fold into the mix.
    3) In a seperate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff & carefully fold through the cake mixture.
    4) Spoon into a lightly greased 20cm spring form cake tine & place in the oven for just under an hour, or until a skewer runs clean when pulled out.
    5) Let the cake set for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack.
    6) To make a cimple icing, as water bit by bit to the icing sugar & combine well. This ensures it doesn't become too runny too quickly. Drizzel over pumpkin cake & let it set.

Thanks Sarah! You are a gem!

I have been searching for pumpkin cake/pie receipe everywhere!

These receipes look fab and I thank you for your time in typing them out, I have printed them out, ready to be made.

I am sure they will be delicious

nellbe

Glad to help Nell. I think I might try the pumpkin cake out myself this weekend, it sounds great!

kerry Guest

GLUTEN-FREE PASTA IN SPICY PEANUT SAUCE

1 lb. gluten-free spaghetti or linguini (Deboles, Thai
    Kitchen, or Tinkyada)
    2 tablespoons peanut oil
    1 small red onion, peeled and minced
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon good curry powder (as hot as you prefer)
    a good pinch of cayenne pepper, or more, for desired heat
    2/3 cup all natural peanut butter
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon wheat-free tamari sauce
    3 tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
    1 1/2 cups hot gluten-free vegetable (or chicken) broth
    sea salt and freshly ground white pepper,
    to taste
    Garnishes::
    4 green onions, chopped
    small bowl of flaked coconut
    small bowl of chopped peanuts

Bring a large pot of salted, fresh water to a rolling boil and (following the cooking directions on the pasta package) cook the pasta to al dente, firm but tender to the bite. Rinse and set aside in a warmed serving bowl.
    Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, curry powder and cayenne and stir 1 minute. Add the peanut butter, brown sugar,tamari sauce, and vinegar, and stir to make a smooth paste. Slowly begin adding the heated broth, stirring or whisking to blend. Heat through gently. Taste for seasoning adjustments, and add salt and pepper to taste.
    Pour the peanut sauce on the noodles and toss well. Serve at the table, and offer small bowls of chopped green onions, flaked coconut and chopped fresh peanuts for garnish. Add more nutrition by tossing in cooked vegetables, tofu, shrimp, leftover chicken pieces, etc. Serves 4.

Default Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie
    No sugar, no wheat, yummy and easy as pie!

4 T soft butter
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup honey
    2 cup pecans
    2 T french cream or yogurt
    1 T vanilla
    rind of one lemon

Cream butter with eggs and honey. Mix in cream, lemon rind and vanilla. Mix in pecans (I chop 1.5 cups of them, leaving the rest whole). Pour into a pie plate and bake for 35-45 minutes at 350 F (180 C).

I always add an almond flour base crust - consisting of almond flour and a couple of tablespoons of melted butter. =P~

Some gluten free dessert ideas that aren't actually recipes.

There are a whole range of gf goodies now in the health food section of most supermarkets. There are pkt mixes of pancakes, self saucing puddings, muffins and cakes. Pancakes are great made up with strawberries, ice cream and maple syrup. From something a bit different, make these BBQ Banana's as posted by Sarah, serve with ice cream, very yummy.

Also pavalova's are popular and very yummy. Just make sure that if you make your own, using gluten free corn flour, baking powder and icing sugar as not all brands of these are gluten free. Same with the toppings on top, you can't go wrong with whipped cream and fresh cream, just don't add anything else.

Melt toberlone bars and running cream together (be careful not to burn) in the microwave, pop into middle of platter with fresh fruit.

Most chocolate mousses are gluten free as well.

*from Australian Womens Weekly Website*

Rich Truffle Mud Cake

6 eggs
    100g (1/2 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
    400g dark cooking chocolate, melted
    250ml (1 cup) thick cream
    80 ml (1/3 cup) cointreau (or any other liqueur)

Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease deep 22cm round cake pan, line base and side with baking paper.

Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer about 5 minutes or until thick and creamy. With motor operating, gradually beat in barely warm chocolate, beat until combined.

Using metal spoon, gently fold in combined cream and liqueur. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Place pan in baking dish; pour enough boiling water into dish to come halfway up side of pan.

Bake cake at 180°C 30 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; bake about 30 minutes. Discard foil; cool cake in pan. Turn cake onto serving plate; cover; refrigerate overnight.

Can be served with cream/ice cream/strawberries.

Keeps up to 4 days in an airtight container in refrigerator.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

*From Wheat and Gluten Free Recipe Book - Jody Vassallo*

Middle Eastern Orange and Almond Cake

2 large oranges
    6 eggs
    2 ½ cups almond meal (250gms)
    1 ½ cups caster sugar (375gms)
    ½ cup water (125mls)
    zest of 1 orange

Wash the oranges and scrub skins. Put whole oranges into pan, cover with water and boil for 2 hours or until very soft. Drain the water and leave to cool.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees. Line a 22cm springform tin with baking paper.

Put cooled oranges into food processor and blend until smooth

Whisk the eggs into a large bowl. Add the oranges, almond meal and 1 cup (250gms) of the sugar and mix to combine. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 1¼ hours. Leave to cool in tin for 5 minutes.

Put remaining sugar into pan with the water and orange zest and stir over low hear for 5 minutes until syrupy. Serve the wedges of cake with the sauce drizzled over the top.

*from Donna Hay, unsure of printed source*

“Impossible” Lemon Pie

1 cup desiccated coconut
    ½ cup plain gluten free flour (can be found in most supermarkets in health isle)
    1 ¼ cups caster sugar
    1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
    4 eggs
    1/3 cup lemon juice
    1 ½ cups milk
    40 gms butter melted
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180 degrees.

Place coconut, flour, sugar and lemon rind in a large bowl. Add the eggs, lemon juice, milk and butter and stir until well combined.

Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 4 cup capacity baking dish and bake for 40 mins or until top is golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with cream.

*from New Idea magazine*

Chocolate Almond Brownies

2/3 cup margarine
    1 cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
    2/3 cup cooking chocolate chips
    1/4 cup gluten free plain flour
    1/3 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp gluten free baking powder
    3 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup almond meal

Preheat oven to 180deg. Place margarine, sugar & chocolate into a heatproof bowl & melt over a pot of boiling water.

Add the flour & powders to the mixture & combine well, then add the eggs & beat in well. Now fold in the almond meal.

Using a 25cmx25cm paper lined & lightly greased baking tin, pour in the mixture & place in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before tipping onto a wire rack.

Decorate with fresh fruits or ice with melted chocolate and serve with cream

Bambi Guest

This is a great website.
    I am a Ceoliac. So i cannot eat Wheat or Yeast either.
    These recipes are great. But my problem is i am really fussy with my food.
    I think i will try some of these though.

Hi Theresa,

It is unfortunate that you have to go through this, are they asking you to do this to see if she gets better before testing her?

Anyway, I have a few sites I regularly visit, I shall PM you with the details...

Those books I suggested in the last post about her allegeries should be able to help.

I make my own bread from a mix I get from Safeway - Orgran, they have a website... not sure if they are soy free but anything gluten free won't be soft so the bread is just not the same. Maybe something different for her like rice cakes?

Freedom foods are another brand that are fantastic in dairy, gluten etc free stuff. Check out their website as well.

Umm, check out my PM and just yell out if you need any further help.

Does anyone have any simple gluten free recipes that are not desserts?
    DP also has type 1 diabetes, so desserts are of no interest to him.
    He goes in for a biopsy soon to confirm Coeliac, however his tests results have been progressively worse, so we're fairly sure we're going to have to go through a huge diet change soon.
    Also DS is allergic to peanuts and fish, (and possibly something else which I cant pinpoint yet)... so I am tearing my hair out about how to cook to suit all of us at the same time!
    Nell hon, are you able to PM me with some good recipe links, or give me the names of some good cookbooks that you may have/have seen?
    I'm not into gormuet cooking (I actually HATE cooking) so I hope I can find many simple recipe ideas....

Ambah, we have a friend who is gluten intolerant and we introduced him to rice paper rolls which he & his wife now love. You pretty much just have a selection of salads, herbs (like coriander & mint) and marinated meats, then you each person just wraps whatever they want in a sheet of rice paper. You can make dipping sauces as well. We use the rice paper circles that you soak for a minute or so in warm water. It's fun for kids too. HTH.

Sometimes potato is a bit too starchy for those with sensitive intestines. So this is a special mash I make for my DH :

whole cauliflower (steamed)
    fry a couple of onions and some garlic
    grate chunk of cheese (we use ementaler)
    big nob of butter
    throw it all in the blender
    viola! mash

Ambah - sorry hon I have just come across this now. I'll do all I can to help you out! I know how daughting it is to embark on this type of diet. It is wise to start the full gluten free diet after the biospy as he is commences it before then the test won't show the true result.

I am also a big fan of simple and cheap and unfortunately we eat heaps of fish.. something you guys obviously can't...

I really don't want to scare you - there is so much to think of and prepare for and unfortunately your grocery bill is about to go up... everything marked gluten free seems to cost twice as much with is soo annoying!

Anyway - I'll post some non dessert recipes here and non fish. Then I'll PM/email you with links and recipes books I use.

ETA - maybe Aidyn is coeliac as well if DP is? It is a genetic condition that runs in families...

Thanks so much for those guys!

ETA - maybe Aidyn is coeliac as well if DP is? It is a genetic condition that runs in families...
    Nell - I suppose there is going to be a chance of that too, although his Dr seems to think that the Coeliac is more related to him being a Diabetic too... (apparently at least 5% of type 1 diabetics have Coeliac) although I dont know if that means that Aidyn has any less chance of having it?

I saw a recipe book in Dymocks the other day, title Gluten and Sugar free recipes... which sounds ideal really, so I may have to look at getting that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast