Thread: Wine Fans?

big_mumma Guest

Default Wine Fans?

I was wondering if there were any fellow wine buffs on the forum? Anyone care to spill their favourites, or tips for collecting, appreciating, etc?

I have been known to enjoy a glass or two - obviously not during pregnancy or when feeding, of course!

Try the Langtons website. They are a wine auction house, so you can get prices for posh wines and collectables. But one thing worth checking out is their vintage chart under wine tools. This is a chart which rates the vintage for all the various wine styles from the various regions across the country.

For example 2003 was great for Hunter valley wines but not so good for the rest of the country.

Oh big Mumma!!! The joys of a glorious merlot sipped with a delicious roast dinner, or a cold Rose on a hot summers day while sitting outside chatting to friends! Can you tell its been a LONG time between drinks for me!!

We love our wines, red in particular but whites and roses too (that should have a ~ above it but I dont know how!!) over the years our collection has grown simply from going to local wineries and buying what we like from the cellar door. We live within easy driving from the Yarra Valley and go there a few times a year and try to visit little known wineries because you often find absolute gems. Then there are the tried and true favs like, Fergusons in the Yarra Valley that have a red called Neds Red - perfect quaffer wine, cheapish but just a great all rounder! Whenever we have been interstate we manage to find our way to the wine regions, sohave done Margaret River and came back with suitcases full of wine! and also the Hunter.

I always go with what tastes good for one person doesn't for someone else so if you have a chance to go to any wine regions, tour the little (and some big but not too many they make enough money ) wineries and taste away, if you find something you like - buy there, or else find out if they stock their wines in any local bottles shops nearby where you live!! The beauty of the cellar door is that often you are talking to the wine maker or family who know their stuff and will give great advice about storing etc.

I also have freinds who do the wine club thing, and get a case delievered each month. They buy and store their "good" wines and have these with dinner etc!!!
    HtH!

I've recently discovered the wine aperitif Kir which is basically a French ****tail. I have one most nights while making dinner. To make authentic Kir you need two things: a bottle of Cassis (blackcurrant liqueur) from the Dijon region of France and a young bottle of Chardonnay (white wine). Just add a few drops of the Cassis to a chilled glass of Chardonnay. It will make a layered effect. You can make Kir Royale by using Champagne instead of the Chardonnay. The bottle of Cassis lasts for ages so even though it might set you back about $30 - $40 it will last for a long time. The white wine can be a cheapie. This is why Kir was invented.... to improve the acidic flavour of young whites and to mellow the sweetness of the blackcurrant liqueur. J'adore!!! (I love it!)

I love my wine!!! We recently been to margaret rive and had a few wine tests. We bought a case of palandri chardonnay which is lovely.
    I like to drink local wine,made in WA predominatly but always on the lookout.
    So whats your fav wine girls,locally?

OOhh, I used to live next door to one of the Palandri's -shoulda married that one....

Yeh there wine celler is huge!!! And they have such fab and funky stuff to buy too.....

This is a great thread

I have been contemplating starting a wine social group since the social groups started, but wasn't sure how many people would join as the majority of people on here are breastfeeding, pregnant or TTC ladies

I didn't want to look like a solo desperado but I would love to have a place to post whenever I try something new or want some advice... and now that I know there are fellow wine lovers out there... yippee!!!

I am going to start one though - so I expect all of you to toddle off over there when you read this post

Am a very, very big fan of wine - not only because I love to drink it but also because I am constantly fascinated with its origins, and how its made etc.

We have done a million wine tours (especially in the Hunter as its only about an hour from us) - we're trying to organise a few days away to go to Mudgee (my grandparents have a house up near there that was left to my Dad, and different members of our family stay there if they go away for a break or a wine touring weekend )

Am off to start the group now

I am from a place in Spain very good in wines, La Rioja, do you know it?

i just love wines.... though i'm a beginner i'm finding it interesting.. i just wanna have a good collection of it..