Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you spend on each of your children for christmas?

They get a really good present from mum and dad at about $100, then a couple of smaller tree presents around 30-40 each. Their stockings are filled at about $40 each and then a big combined santa pressie. This year the combined santa pressie blew out in budget to $400, but we laybyed it back at the sales and got it $300 off, so no big drama there.

The only real set standard here is that they get the same amount of presents - or that will cause mega drama.

I don't like to go too over board with gifts as I'd like my kids to see christmas as more than just gifts. Prolly spend $50- $100 at most. If I want them to get something big I'll ask family to put in whatever they're planning on spending.

Probably a couple hundred each... i buy when things are on sale though

don't really have a set amount.. We will discuss what to get, and get it.. We are getting a plastic climbing frame/cubby, then other odds and ends. The others will be about $200 for DD when I have finished, but she won't outgrow them for a few years cause they aren't toys/clothes, IYKWIM. DS will just get a few new toys, just so he has something new for him, instead of hand-me-downs. Will prob get away with $50 for him this year cause he will only be 4 months, so easily please, LOL.

For nieces/nephews, max of $50, but if I can get something for a lesser amount, then I don't keep buying to use that amount.. So one might get a $20 pres,and one might get a $50 pres and so on. Just depends what I find when I go shopping.
    Last edited by Doing my best; November 23rd, 2009 at 09:12 PM.

We dont have a set amount to spend on DS. His first 2 xmas we didn't buy him anything at all as he was too young to care, plus we knew our families would spoil him cause he was the only cild in all families.

Last year we probably spent $150 and that included a big boy bike.

This year he has asked for a piano, a computer (kids laptop thingy) and kids CD player that look like a car. Plus DH wants to get hima kids digital camera cause he takes some awesome photos with DH phone. He will end up with more than that though, he will be and is way more 'spoilt' than we were as kids, but, he knows how to share and he knows not to always expect to be given new things, when he starts expecting things and taking things for granted he will be severely SHUT DOWN LOL.

We plan on having fun adn spending plenty of moolah on DS this xmas, and I'll probably spend about $30 on each of my nephews, they are only babies

I dont have a set amount. DD's first Christmas we spent about $200+ on her & I found it to be alot wasted but I learnt from that. Only buy things that will actually get used!!

DS's first Christmas I would have been lucky to spend $50 (maybe even $20... I cant remember what I got him but it was something that got used... like a rattle & books or something like that )

This Christmas DS is getting a little 6v quad bike that I got on special for $60 from Target earlier this year, I was going to give it to him for his birthday but didnt think he was big enough so he gets it for Christmas now LOL He'll also get a few stocking fillers, boys dvd's/books etc

DD asked for a barbie & the 3 muskateers toy cat or dog thing that moves & comes with the DVD so I've layby'd that & she's also getting a few stocking fillers like a barbie Wii game that was on sale & some sunnies she chose from a discount store... mainly cheap things but things she'll actually use.

we normally buy one present from mum, one from dad, and one big one from santa (or a couple of smaller ones) coz the family buy so many.

how much we spend usually depends on the financial situation

Mine hasn't changed much from when I first replied. We still spend around $700 on the older kids, and last year we spent about $400 on DS2. This year we're going to get about $400 worth of stuff for the older kids, and then give them $300 each to go shopping with in the after sales to get clothes, shoes etc for themselves. Not sure how much we will spend on DS2 this year as he has so much already. I'd like to upgrade his drumkit though and we want more outdoor stuff for him.
    We won't be spending much on Anelise this year as she will be 3 months old and already has so much, but we're going to buy her some little things and some summer clothes.

smiles4u Guest

We don't have a set budget, but having said that it's been about the $300 mark each of DD's Xmas's ... This year in July we put DD's Xmas presents (that were on special) at a total of $210 on what's called a ** TOY LAYBY at Kmart ** where the layby has a condition that it can't be picked up before the 1st of December but must be picked up by Xmas Eve

... we like to get DD one big item so one item on the layby was $88.

25% of the balance is due by beginning of Oct !!

It has worked wonders for us knowing we had her Xmas shopping all over and done with in July and that we had a long duration to pay it off

We have also bought her some other gifts for Xmas that we couldn't get in Kmart, about another $50-$60.

Last Xmas we spent about the same, approx $300 (that year she got a $182 huge trampoline on special from BigW, that was on layby too then).

............. If we had more than one child we certainly ' wouldn't ' be able to afford to spend as much on each child !!

I don't have a budget as such but we have a present limit. Usually 3 each for Xmas and 4 each for birthdays..

This year we have done it differently.. We bought all 3 boys a green machine bike each (diff ones but same idea) and DD a bike.. plus we get them stocking stuffers and a couple little things to open..

So We think one big pressie plus a few small is a good idea..

wow I am cheap!

Flynn is getting an electronic dinosaur ($22), a matchbox plane ($3) and some activity books ($6) and so far I have only got Ollie a plane also ($3). I'll get Ollie one more pressie and that's it. Oh and the planes are from Santa - I don't believe in giving the Fat Man the glory presents (just yet!)

We don't have a set limit, but like some others we like to make sure the kids have an equal amount to open. This year they are getting a cubby house with kitchen etc inside & I'm selfish I want the credit for it so that's coming from us & the other things are from Santa. I'd say I've spent about $150 on Zander (aside from the cubby house) and will be close to that for Juliette when I'm done too.

This is DD's first REAL x-mas and she knows what presents are but have been trying to be good.
    So far have only spent $160 on a lay-by which was a smart trike, 2 cheapo play doh set things and those crayola starter crayons.
    Will prob get her some clothes or a couple of books as we will do SANTA presents (her bike etc) and then something little from us.

I can definately see us spending LOTS more on x-mas as the years come, i mean the trampoline, the swing set, the cubby etc and with our kids being so close will be great to get BIGGER joint gifts they can both use!

Ohhh i love seeing how much people spend, makes me feel better about my budget.

For our boys its approx $200 each. Neices and nephews is $80 each. Our siblings $40-$50 each. My parents $80 each and DH has said not to buy for his father and step mum, but for his mum and step dad he said spend minimal as possible.....massive fights have happened!!

I doubt I'd spend any more than $100 each at a stretch. This year they are also getting a cubby house for the back yard as a joint present.

My mum and dad get them one good present each and maybe a few little things like books etc. My MIL goes overboard and usually buys them a whole heap of junk they don't need or stuff that is totally age INappropriate. A lot of it ended up going to Vinnies last year

As I get older (and wiser??) and the more children I have, I realise I do not want my house filled with toys that are never played with so we have cut right back on what we used to buy. I'd rather they get a few presents that they will use and enjoy. It's just 'stuff' after all.

I can't believe how much money some of you spend

I'd rather spend money on the 'holiday' - the lunch/dinner, visiting family, going away for a few days etc than on the 'stuff'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123