Thread: Great Ocean Road secrets

Default Great Ocean Road secrets

Does any one have any Great Ocean Road secrets? I have to go to a conference in Lorne in late Feb (so not during school holidays - phew!) and so one Friday night's accommodation will be paid for (in Lorne). DH and I are thinking of making it a bit of a mini-holiday with the boys (who will be 3 months and 21 months respectively). Does anyone have any family-friendly places they would like to recommend along the GOR? I am open to anything - camping grounds, motels, resorts - the only criteria is it needs to be kid-friendly, good value and no more than $100 a night for the 4 of us (I would prefer sub-$50 actually, but if something is super good value we could extend to a few more $$$)

why don't you try Wye River caravan park? the pub there is great. there's also a road down there that's full of koalas. i can't remember the name of the road right now but if you're interested i can found out for you. you basically drive up it and there are koalas above you in all the trees. it's pretty awesome.

My family has a holiday home in Peterborough which is between Port Campbell and Warnambool, the Caravan park there is lovely right on the river, the beaches are very nice and clean(although notably unpatrolled) there are also rockpools, a little golf course, a play park and some tennis courts. Its about an 11 k drive to Port Campbell where there are some nice coffee shops. A bit more of a drive than Wye River from Lorne though!

Thanks for the suggestions I am kinda keen on starting the trip earlier in the week, say the Wednesday, and heading back towards Melbourne, in which case Peterborough and Wye River could be options !!

When we last drove the Great Ocean Rd, we started from just inside SA. We tried stopping at all the brown tourist signs around the 12 Apostles and had to give up! We stayed at a nice little Caravan PArk on Cape Otway, pretty cheap too, then got up early and drove back west to pick up where we left off the night before!