Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dannii Minogue transfers to hospital...

Default Dannii Minogue transfers to hospital...

Arguably Australia's most famous homebirther, Dannii Minogue has transferred to hospital prior to the birth of her son. And already, the media circus has begun...

Celebrity or not, home birth fad is pretty silly | Daily Telegraph Sarrah Le Marquand Blog

she has given birth to a little boy Ethan!!!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-baby-boy.html

I must have been living in a bubble because i didn't know that Dannii was planning a homebirth. That article just sucks.

The first thing i said when i saw the news report last night that Dannii had had a baby, and it showed the hospital was 'I wonder if they assaulted her too?'

urgh, angry again

Why on earth are Australians so anti homebirth? Here in NZ it is just an accepted, every day (govt funded) option. I just don't get it.

Artechim, I don't really know either but I imagine it's just another way for he government to control everyone. It doesn't make sense when hospitals are over crowed and medical professionals are over worked. Sure if there were babies and mothers dying all over the country from homebirthing than the public would be screaming out for regulation, that isn't happening so I don't know?

I think that article is disgusting.

It's mainly pushed by the Australian Medical Association and the RANZCOG. I'm not sure why NZ has diverged so much, but I can only assume that there must have been some strong midwives back in the day who managed to make it (or keep it) mainstream so that the comparable NZ bodies couldn't marginalise it with fear uncertainty and doubt like they do here.

Based on that article, the media must also take some responsibility ... maybe they have been influenced by the AMA and cronies?
    Many in the community also hold the same view...and that if a woman is transferred its like 'yes, she should have been there in the first place', where is the support

She has no way of knowing if the complications werent something that would have happened hospital OR homebirth. Most of the time the complications that warrant a transfer are NOT related to it being a homebirth, but just birth complications in general. Complication is an all encompassing word, it might have been something as simple as finding out bub was breech or something, not a worse case scenario *sigh*

Way to go you silly woman, bub isnt even 2 days old yet and already youve belittle poor Dannii and her birth experience. Shame shame shame.

Good on you for trying Dannii!

Oh dear . Way to have a jab at someone who just gave birth...

The latest subscriber to the home-birth fad
    Umm....I'm pretty sure women have been having homebirths since the dawn of time?

I just happen to think it’s a miracle that should take place within earshot of a few doctors and nurses. Somewhere like a hospital.
    That's why women chose to have midwives at their home . And being transferred to hospital is usually in the plan if need be. Where's the problem?

People love it when things don't go to plan with celebrities and are quick to write stoopid articles to make themselves feel better .

I noticed some really intelligent, balanced comments under the article

I am with Onxy - I think it's important to focus on the replies and how informed they are.

The media will always do this sort of thing - it sells papers. What is important is how we let it affect our perceptions is risk, and how we do what we can to (gently, delicately) enlighten others.

I am in a very "zen" mood right now....can you tell LOL!

So has anyone else commented on that article? Shame, news limited, shame.

actually up here in the Territory it's a govt funded thing too.....homebirths I mean - they prefer you to have your bub at home....the new legislation thing has thrown a realy spanner in the works....not that up here will really pay that much attention anyway lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    She has no way of knowing if the complications werent something that would have happened hospital OR homebirth.
    That was my first thought!

Also its mentioned that its a complication of PREGNANCY not LABOUR! So its obvious that an informed decision was made about what was right for them and their situation and a decision was made to move to the hospital rather than stay at home!

It just annoys the $hit out of me how the media pretend to know so much about what happened when they weren't even there!!! And then to go on these little missions to write these crappy articles about a topic they clearly know sweet eff all about!!

I also like the terminology she uses... "But let’s face it – heart attacks and cancer are “natural” too. That doesn’t mean you want to tackle either of them without the help of a medical expert."

What makes her think that pregnany, labour and birth are something that need to be "tackled"! I certainly wouldnt want to go to somewhere to give birth where they looked at me as something that needed to be tackled!

Despite all these dirty little articles coming out....I hope that the population is getting a bit sick of it! I know I am!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    actually up here in the Territory it's a govt funded thing too.....homebirths I mean - they prefer you to have your bub at home....the new legislation thing has thrown a realy spanner in the works....not that up here will really pay that much attention anyway lol.
    Right! Lets all pack up and move to the Territory!

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    She has no way of knowing if the complications werent something that would have happened hospital OR homebirth. Most of the time the complications that warrant a transfer are NOT related to it being a homebirth, but just birth complications in general. Complication is an all encompassing word, it might have been something as simple as finding out bub was breech or something, not a worse case scenario *sigh*

Way to go you silly woman, bub isnt even 2 days old yet and already youve belittle poor Dannii and her birth experience. Shame shame shame.

Good on you for trying Dannii!
    :yeahthat:

URGH to the whole article.

I also noticed some of the excellent comments under the article & hopefully people will read these as well as the rubbish above.

I can't bring myself to read the article. I was really excited to hear she had planned a HB and bummed for her that she transferred. I'm shocked at the media circus...what's the problem??Nothing went wrong, HB is safe, she transferred because she needed to. Why do they keep assuming midwives are not medical professionals too?!

Errrr....
    But let’s face it – heart attacks and cancer are “natural” too. That doesn’t mean you want to tackle either of them without the help of a medical expert.
    Midwives are not experts? How insulting. The fact that midwives pick up on problems and transfer when necessary is PROOF that it is safe for pete's sake! And it's mean to belittle a brand new mum like this - shame!

Those wanting state-funded homebirths are also welcome in WA

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast