Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dannii Minogue transfers to hospital...

Angry Danni Minogue's Birth Being Used As A Scare Tactic...

On my way to work this morning on the radio there was a segment of the news which was basically using Danni Minogue's failed homebirth attempt as a scare tactic saying that first time mothers should be warned of the dangers of homebirth and went on to say that she had to be "rushed" to hospital for an emergency c section and how extremely dangerous this was.

I am so very annoyed to have heard this, just goes to show they'll use anything they can to make homebirth out to be this dangerous act that should not be considered, especially by first time mums.

Not happy!

Hopefully it wont put the determined off having a homebirth!

Did she have a bad outcome? How did the HB go 'wrong'? Sounds like back up hospy transfer worked just fine. AND she had a c-section, so hospy couldn't deal with complications, either...hence the surgery.
    Ugh. I wish they could go home to escape the glare

Haven't read the article yet but it sounds like Dannii and her birthing 'team' took whatever situation they were given and made choices they thought were in mother and baby's best interests - and I applaud them for that! I'm bummed for her that it didn't go the way she had planned, and REALLY p*ssed that the media circus is kicking her while she's down by throwing around accusations about her desire for a homebirth.
    Welcome earthside, little dude, glad to hear you're safe and sound, I wish you and your mama all the best for a speedy recovery from a difficult delivery!! I hope they're enjoying getting to know each other and that Dannii isn't taking the media's and public's uninformed comments and judgments on her choices to heart.

Exactly, so she didn't get to 'homebirth' (but got to labour at home, yay!), but she didn't have a HB 'go wrong' because she transferred before things could actually 'go wrong'! It would have 'gone wrong' if everyone had insisted they continue without intervention

Quote Originally Posted by sconeonamission View Post
    Hopefully it wont put the determined off having a homebirth!
    I don't think it will... but it may put off the "unsure". And that's such a shame because women would be so much better off with more HBs. Australia's perception of HB is so warped and incorrect.

I posted this on my FB this morning and got some interesting responses including a friend of mine stating that "there's no way i'd be pushing out my baby on the kitchen floor with no pain relief. This isn't Africa! We have wonderful hospitals and drugs for a reason"....wow.....so sad this is how women view HB because of the stupid media's inaccurate reporting.

Makes me angry

Quote Originally Posted by Mummato2 View Post
    I posted this on my FB this morning and got some interesting responses including a friend of mine stating that "there's no way i'd be pushing out my baby on the kitchen floor with no pain relief. This isn't Africa! We have wonderful hospitals and drugs for a reason"....wow.....so sad this is how women view HB because of the stupid media's inaccurate reporting.

Makes me angry
    WTH?! Your friend is sadly misinformed & should do her 'homework' prior to commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaness View Post
    Did she have a bad outcome? How did the HB go 'wrong'? Sounds like back up hospy transfer worked just fine. AND she had a c-section, so hospy couldn't deal with complications, either...hence the surgery.
    Ugh. I wish they could go home to escape the glare
    Yeah, what did happen - we don't even know the full story!! Exactly right Mayaness!

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    That was my first thought!

Also its mentioned that its a complication of PREGNANCY not LABOUR! So its obvious that an informed decision was made about what was right for them and their situation and a decision was made to move to the hospital rather than stay at home!

It just annoys the $hit out of me how the media pretend to know so much about what happened when they weren't even there!!! And then to go on these little missions to write these crappy articles about a topic they clearly know sweet eff all about!!

I also like the terminology she uses... "But let’s face it – heart attacks and cancer are “natural” too. That doesn’t mean you want to tackle either of them without the help of a medical expert."

What makes her think that pregnany, labour and birth are something that need to be "tackled"! I certainly wouldnt want to go to somewhere to give birth where they looked at me as something that needed to be tackled!

Despite all these dirty little articles coming out....I hope that the population is getting a bit sick of it! I know I am!

Right! Lets all pack up and move to the Territory!
    I agree, she made an informed decision at the time & chose to homebirth, no different to someone choosing a birthing centre or hospital - their choice & in most cases informed.

Far out the media are really peeving me off atm

One would hope that instead of scaring people off, it might serve to show as an example of how deal with a problem should it arise, and when to up and transfer if it's needed

That's exactly right meow, it won't put off those who are already informed, but those who are not are going to think homebirth is this awful thing that shouldn't be done.

Just another case of the media taking things out of proportion!

double post

Quote Originally Posted by ~Raven~ View Post
    One would hope that instead of scaring people off, it might serve to show as an example of how deal with a problem should it arise, and when to up and transfer if it's needed
    Raven, I would hope so too, but unfortunately the way the media deliver the news is directly related to how the news will be taken by the public, and it was certainly not delivered as a positive story.

My response was

"in my honest opinion, that description is exactly what's wrong with people's perception about a home birth. If you don't research it out of interest (like I did with Cary's birth) you wouldn't know that it would be the exact same as a hospital in terms of equipment, medical care given etc only difference is you are not bound by hospital policy, unnecessary interventions and being pushed into procedures that you regret later.

Cooper's birth was a hospital induction complete with all the drugs I could get. Cary's was a birth centre water birth without any drugs and by far the easiest pain free birth. Yep - it was pain free!

Please don't get me wrong - a woman's birth choice is sacred. If you are well informed and choose a hospital birth - that's awesome. But what gets my blood boiling are sweeping statements about home birth from people that clearly have no ****ing idea about what they're talking about (media mainly) which is why people have images of women birthing on a floor like dogs"

Default Dannii Minogue transfers to hospital...

I just read the other article the telegraph had and some of the comments are just terrible!!! Calling homebirthers idiots and stupid!!! Awful!
    TBH I don't think a home birth is for me but I don't think that means it isn't a great choice for somebody else!
    Poor Dannii she should just be left alone to enjoy her new little man not be attacked for her choice. Who's business is it anyway how she had her baby!!??!! I really hate the media sometimes.

I saw an article on the Herald Sun website this morning (no way I would be spending my money on that rag), the way it was written was truly disgusting. Funny how a few choice verbs and adjectives can change the angle of a story completely. Unfortunately a story congratulating MWs for doing their job (ie knowing when it was time to transfer) doesn't sell papers...poor Danni, she might be feeling a bit down after planning a HB and ending up with a CS, the last thing she needs is papers reporting such negative things.

I would like to think any woman considering homebirth would be educated enough to do her own research and not rely on stories in some shoddy paper to sway her decision. Certainly hasn't changed my opinion on HB.

It probably won't change HBers minds, but it certainly affects them because of all of the other less informed people out there who will unfortunately have coloured judgement that they won't mind sharing. It wouldn't help my DP for eg, if someone blabbed on about how dangerous it was.

Of course, the point is if she was in a hospital in the first place and ended up with an emergency c/s (which would have been even more likely) would anyone have noticed? Same outcome - different perception! Would anyone be walking around saying, "silly woman, if she'd have gone for a homebirth she probably wouldn't have had all of that intervention and ended up with a c/s"? I think not!

:yeahthat:

Couldn't agree more Jennifer. It's disappointing they're focusing on the HB aspect rather than the fact that things obviously didn't go well. I hope she has a speedy recovery and is ok (in time) with the fact that her babies birth didn't go to plan.

They are only using it as a scare tactic because of who it is and everyone know's the name, but they must remember she was the one who wanted it that way - she has not come out saying how bad it is. So if she was "all for it" we can only hope she speaks her mind on how and what happened to clarify. Ahhhh silly media!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast