Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: recipies for cooking placenta *click if you dare*

Default recipies for cooking placenta *click if you dare*

Following on from another thread I thought I would post some recipies for placenta and also a few other ideas I have come across.

A note on safety - the placenta contains alot of blood. When preparing and handling it please follow the same precautions as you would when handling any other bodily fluids. Whilst eating and handling your own doesn't carry any health risks sharing someone elses could expose you to blood transmitted diseases.
    Also follow the same hygiene precautions that you would use when cooking with any other meat.

Preparing The Placenta For Cooking
    Each placenta weighs approximately 1/6 of the baby's weight. Before cooking you should trim off any membrane and also cut out the umbilical cord and discard. Some people also recomend trimming off the fetal side.

How to Cook Placenta
    There are many ways to cook the placenta. How people choose to eat it varies greatly. Some choose to use dishes that would normally contain beef or liver, using the placenta to replace the meat. This might include a stew, a lasagna or even patties.
    There are some recipes below but you could just cook your favourite dish and substitute placenta.

Placenta Recipies
    Placenta ****tail
    1/4 cup raw placenta
    8oz V-8 juice
    2 ice cubes
    1/2 cup carrot.
    Blend at high speed for 10 seconds

Placenta Lasagne
    Use your favorite Lasagne recipe and substitute this mixture for one layer.
    In 2 tbl. olive oil, quickly saute meat of 3/4 placenta, ground or minced; plus 2 sliced cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 diced onion & 2 tbl. tomato paste, or 1 whole tomato.

Placenta Spaghetti
    Cut meat of 3/4 placenta into bite size pieces, then brown quickly in 1 tbl. butter plus 1 tbl. oil. Then add 1 large can tomato puree, 2 cans crushed pear tomatoes, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tbl. molasses, 1 bay leaf, 1 tbl. rosemary, 1 tsp. ea. of salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel. Simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Placenta Stew
    Meat of 3/4 placenta in bite size chunks, 1 potato (cubed), 1/4 cup fresh parsley, 2 carrots, 3 ribs celery, 1 zucchini, 1 large tomato, 1 small onion. Dredge meat in 1 tbl. flour mixed with 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. paprika, pinch of cloves, pinch of pepper, 6-8 crushed coriander seeds. Saute meat in 2 tbl. oil, then add vegetables (cut up) and 4-5 cups of water. Bring to full boil, then simmer for 1 hour.

Placenta Pizza
    Grind (mince) placenta. Saute in 2 tbl. olive oil with 4 garlic cloves, then add 1/4 tsp. fennel, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. paprika, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/4 tsp. thyme, and 1/4 cup of wine. Allow to stand for 30 minutes, then use with your favorite home made pizza recipe. It's a fine placenta sausage topping.

Placenta Roast
    All "food" should be properly cleaned prior to cooking, and all "food" should be properly cooked prior to eating.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 to 3 lb. placenta no more than 3 days old
    1 large onion
    1 large green or red pepper (green will add color to the presentation)
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1 sleeve of saltine crackers
    1 tsp crab or shrimp seasoning
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp white pepper
    1 clove garlic (roasted and minced)

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 350/180 degrees.

Chop onion and green or red pepper in small cubes. Place in large bowl. Crush saltines into crumbs and add to onion and pepper cubes.

COMBINE IN LARGE BOWL
    Placenta, seafood seasoning, pepper, garlic, and tomato sauce. Place into aluminum loaf pan. Cover and bake for 1 and 1/2 hours, occasionally pouring off excess liquid. Retain liquid for gravy base if desired.

Placenta Aglio, Olio e Peperoncino (placenta in garlic, olive oil, and pepper).

Gently blanch one pound of placenta that has been cut into one-quarter-inch-thick discs. After blanching the placenta for no more than thirty seconds, drain and set aside in a deep-heated serving dish.

Heat one cup of extra virgin olive oil in a pan. Add three to four cloves of crushed garlic and one hot chili pepper pod. When the garlic cloves begin to brown, discard them or they'll overwhelm the flavor of the placenta.

Pour the olive oil over the placenta. Sprinkle with black pepper and one teaspoon of chopped Italian parsley. Stir well and serve immediately with fresh-baked crusty Italian bread and a sweet white wine.

Placenta Meat Loaf
    Begin by chopping one onion and combining it with one teaspoon of black pepper and one sleeve of crushed saltines. Then combine one pound of ground placenta with the onion, pepper, and saltines. Add one teaspoon of bay leaves, one teaspoon each of white and black pepper, a clove of roasted and minced garlic, and one cup of chopped tomatoes. Mix well.

Place in a buttered loaf pan, cover, then bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for an hour and a half, occasionally pouring off excess blood. Serve with smoky wines such as Barolo or Barbaresco.

Dehydrating Your Placenta
    Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals! It is reputed to be good for treating PND.
    According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, placenta is considered a powerful and sacred medicine, full of life force. Raven Lang, a midwife who studied Traditional Chinese Medicine, advises the use of placenta during the postpartum course to aid in recovery from childbirth. After the placenta is prepared it is taken in capsule form, 2 capsules at a time, with white wine. The wine is said to help disperse the energy of the placenta throughout the body. Women can take this dose up to three times a day, and continue until they no longer feel a need. Remaining placenta can be saved and used homeopathically for those times when the child undergoes a separation from the mother. For example, when first learning to walk, or when weaning, or when going off ory is made from qi and blood, human placenta used to augment qi and blood will help augment lactation.
    Method:

Cut off the cord and membranes.
    Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.
    Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).
    Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.
    Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.
    The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good

Planting Your Placenta
    Many people freeze their placentas until they get a special tree or bush in honor of the new baby. After digging an appropriately sized hole, score the sides of the hole so the soil is more amenable to tender roots. Put the placenta in, and cover it with a half to a full inch of soil before placing the plant on top of it. Hold the plant steady while the rest of the hole is filled. Water the plant well after planting. Newly planted trees and shrubs need to be watered on a regular basis the first year until they form a good root system. As the placenta breaks down in the soil, the tree or shrub will reap the benefits of all the nutrients packed in that placenta. Now, just enjoy watching your baby and new yard addition grow!

Making Placenta Prints
    This may appeal to some of you who enjoy doing artistic endeavors. Before the birth, pick up a few sheets of nice quality art paper. This can be watercolor paper, or some of the really unique specialty papers found in an art supply store. After the birth, take the fresh placenta and lay it out on the paper. You can make the prints with the blood that covers it, or wipe it off and put ink or paint on it first. To get the best prints, make sure there isn't too much or too little fluid for the print. Many parents have found this to be a fun activity as well as giving them a very unique, artistic keepsake of their pregnancy.

Sounds interesting but I believe i will pass

Ditto, Nic

i like the idea of planting it, but i think thats as far as i would go...

Jodie259 Guest

:ms: I think I'm going to be sick.... :ms:

MMMM Yummy, just as I am sitting here eating my dinner.

Each to their own. While it's not for me I do believe the nutritional (sp) value is there.

There is a warning in the thread title, if you find this sort of thing upsetting, don't open the thread.

Personally I don't think I could eat it, but I used to be a vegetarian & the thought makes me shudder! I do however love the idea of planting it.

I agree with Sarah, if you're offended by even the thought, don't open the thread.

I myself wouldn't eat the placenta, but it's interesting to know what to do with it if I ever decided I wanted to. Thanks Chloe!

I fully intend on keeping this babies placenta and planting it in the garden. I also have a few idea's of what to do with your placenta. Or someone else's if they want to give it to you

Will find the book and post them later.

OK, spare time obviously.

Making a Homoeopathic Placental Remedy

Freezedry or pulp (blend) placenta
    or just use a selected piece from the placenta whole.
    Add 1 part placenta to 9 parts brandy,
    say a piece of placenta the size of a walnut to 90 mls of Brandy.
    Or say 1 teaspoon placenta plus 9 teaspoons brandy
    (You can use Brandy, whisky, vodka, ethanol etc)
    Sit for 3 days, or longer (in a brown glass bottle or a covered bottle/jar in a cool, dark place)
    Use 1 part of this mixture and add to 99 parts brandy
    Say 2 mls mixture plus 198mls brandy
    Discard original mixture
    Succuss 100 times
    Put mixture in a well sealed glass bottle and bash firmly against a phonebook (or the palm of your hand) 100 times, be focused on your task.
    This now creates the 1C MOTHER TINCTURE.

200mls

Store this in a brown glass bottle in a cool dark place.
    You can store the remedy as Mother Tincture 1C) and as 5C
    To prepare 5C, make 2C from 1C by:
    Use 1 part of 1C and add to 99 parts brandy
    Succuss 100 times = 2C
    Use 1 part of 2C and add to 99 parts brandy
    Succuss 100 times = 3C
    Use 1 part of 3C and add to 99 parts brandy
    Succuss 100 times = 4C
    Use 1 part of 4C and add to 99 parts brandy
    Succuss 100 times = 5C
    Administer 6C
    Use 1 part of 5C and add to 99 parts brandy
    Succuss 100 times = 6C
    10 drops = one dose
    Application:
    This will be a constitutional remedy for the baby throughout her/his life. It could be used for many/any constitutional or unusual ailments (except) when specific remedy is appropriate eg arnica for bruising).
    The placenta contains stem cells so this remedy will be a very good immune remedy.
    The placenta contains all one's strengths and weakness so treating the individual with this remedy will provide balance when there is imbalance.
    Last edited by Trish; November 14th, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Enchanted Guest

Gross! Interesting though..... while it's not for me, I probably eat things others think are gross!!
    Last edited by Enchanted; November 14th, 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Spelling.... what I always have to edit for!

I think I said this in the other thread but my only regret from my births is that I didn't keep the boy's placentas to plant. I thought about it but I didn't include it in a birth plan and I was a bit too overwhelmed to think of it at the time.

Caro, I don't understand how anyone could be offended by this thread. There are some foods I never eat. When I see a thread about them I just don't bother opening it.

thanks for these, I'd spoken to my TCM lecturer at uni about utilising my placenta when I have kids.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it - but then again I don't have a traditional heritage.
    S

I don't mind the idea of dehydrating it and making it into powder for capsules, but as for eating it, I can't stomach liver so if it's like that, I don't think I could.

If you have issues with other members, as always, please take them OFF the forum.

All I can say is EEEEEWWWW but each to their own. I used to work with a Maori girl whose tribal custom was to bury the placenta. It's interesting what different cultures do and percieve when it comes to things such as this.

Enchanted Guest

A question.... do you need to 'check' with council or anything if you want to bury a placenta?! Wouldn't it be considered a um.... can't think of the word but more or less part of your body!! I'm sure you will get what I mean!

I can see why parents like to bury the placenta but just wondering if there are any restrictions?!?

I love the thread, I find learning about what other people do outside of my little circle really interesting ,it doesn't mean I agree with what they do, but it opens up my eyes and makes me think. I wouldn't be brave enough to slice off a bit and chew but if it was prepared ie. in a capsule I would consider taking it if there are benefits, unfortunately I am a too squeamish to prepare a placenta for eating so I would require assistance in this area .

Interesting thread Chole. I can't say I would be comfortable eating it - but I am also one that can't stomach liver or kidneys... Like you, I regret not keeping the placenta for burial... although we rent and I didn't want to leave it in the yard where I couldn't "access" it IYKWIM?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Oshani~ View Post
    A question.... do you need to 'check' with council or anything if you want to bury a placenta?! Wouldn't it be considered a um.... can't think of the word but more or less part of your body!! I'm sure you will get what I mean!

I can see why parents like to bury the placenta but just wondering if there are any restrictions?!?
    Interesting Question Danni. There are strict rules and regulations about disposing of medical waste (and please, I'm not calling a placenta "waste" but this is how it would be referred to should the parents not keep it) so wonder the same thing. Especially if there were issues surrounding blood borne viruses.

MG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast