Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Important Info About Implanon

Ok excellent, well i guess i'll see what happens when the time comes. Thanks!

mummycate Guest

Implanon is progesterone based, but your doctor can give you an oestrogen based pill to balance it out. Mine offered me this but I chose to get it removed as I want to lose the baby weight, so wanted off the hormones. I never gained weight with the implanon just couldn't lose any. But everyone is different.

My experience with Implanon has been really good.

I've had two now, and each time I got them put in or taken out, it was painless and the process went smoothly without complication.

I didn't have periods for the first 18 months, then light periods (all over the place) and then for the second time around i just had normal periods.

Had the second one taken out about a month ago to TTC#1, and I got AF four days after it was removed, and ovulated about 12 days later.

I will get another after I have this bub .

my cousin had implanon in and went to docs about another reason. They did an ultrasound only to discover that she was ovulating. becuase of this - she had to sign a stat dec type form to say what had happened and they have now had to re-write its effectiveness %- all due to her!!!

so there we go!

Chalalan Guest

I loved Implanon, it was perfect for me and I had it for 6 years. First 2 years (each lasts 3 years) hardly any bleeding at all, and 3rd year a bit of irregular spotting but nothing to worry about. I would get it again and would also recommend it. Like someone else said, you can always try it and get it removed if it doesn't work for you.

Pam21 Guest

Default Re: Implanon

So for those who have had it, it was normal for you to have bleeding/spotting in the last year?

I have started having this over the last 3 weeks, on and off during that whole time, with "period pain" aswell. I still have 7 months till the end of the 3 year period.

Pam - Yep, it was like that for me.... my period returned after the first year, and irregularities started around the end of the second year, but I removed it then to TTC

Pam21 Guest

Thanks sounds like it might be normalish. Was just worried that it might have meant i am suddenly more likely to get pregnant, like that it is running out or something.

babylove - you must have got the first ones off the assembly line as it only came out in australia in May 2001 !

Chalalan Guest

Hi Barb, yeah I was, I remember asking about it at the pharmacy and it was something like $300 for the Implanon. I waited until it came onto the PBS and got it as soon as it did! I just thought it was the best invention and sure beat forgetting pills or getting jabs in the bum every 3 months.

In regards to suitability, my Dr recommended to me to have Depo first because if the depo didn't agree with me, then more than likely the implanon wouldn't either. The depo made me gain a few kg, then I couldn't lose any weight at all no matter what I did, I had no sex drive, and I had the on-off bleeding too. So all of that made me steer clear of implanon, but I have had friends use it with no trouble. It's no different to any other hormonal birth control - there will always be people that it doesn't agree with or work for.

I had Implanon from May to September last year, and it was almost the worst thing I could've done.

My doc said it would be a better one for me to take because of my history with depression. After about a month of having it in I started feeling numb all the time, and having fairly frequent panic attacks. I do suffer with PA's, but usually I can feel them coming on, so I can control them, but during this time I didn't get any warning signs. Imagin driving down the freeway listening to the radio, and the close traffic sets me off. VERY dangerous!

Doc kept saying it wasn't the Implanon - put me on a new antidepressant (annoyed at this - had been off for 3 years) as well as giving me sedatives to take when I felt like I was having a PA. Symptoms continued to get worse.

Eventually I started to demand that the implant be taken out, as it was the only thing that could be setting me off. It took 2 months, 3 suicide attempts, 3 hospitilizations, about a million panic attacks and being fired from my job with Westpac before a doctor would take it out.

So while I agree that its probably great for some women, I will NEVER reccommend it!

Hey Jody,

Sorry to hear about your terrible experiences with implanon.

I've got to say for me it was great - mostly! I've had Implanon for 4 years (onto my 2nd one now) and I chose it becuase I was looking for the most cost effective and reliable forms of contraception. IMHO Implanon can't be beaten on these two fronts. As hubby and I were both students I was willing to put up with minor side effects (a few pimples and some trouble losing weight) for the confidence that we wouldn't get preg. If you look at the scientific research the conception rate on implanon is very very very low, 2nd only to abstience.

But that said, I've now had a moderate to light period for 3.5 weeks (this is the first trouble I've had with it) and I'm heading off to Dr today to discuss my options. We are TTC next year anyway so hubby may have to put up with "alternative means" until we get back from our Europe trip...

I had no idea that Implanon was linked to depression until very recently, and I had mine removed after a 3-year stint around two years ago. I wish I had known, because it certainly would have explained why my already existing depression got so much worse over the 3 years I had Implanon.
    Now I'm stumped as to what contraception to use - I've struggled with my weight since I was 11 and so don't want to use the Pill (besides, I am the WORST at remembering to take a tablet at a certain time each day, so knowing my luck I'd fall pregnant again), apparently hormone injections are no good, and now Implanon is linked to depression...
    Gah, condoms? That's about all I know of that is left! And I'm sure most of us are aware of just how unreliable they are.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I had one in, and it was inserted by a nurse, not a doctor. I had no problems with the insertion.
    But after having it inserted i bled for 6 weeks at a time, and had 2 weeks of no bleeding inbetween ever 6 week bleeding period. It was extremely light, but was still there and annoyed me.
    I was also diagnosed with agoraphobia and mild depression not too much longer after having it put in. I must admit though i was in a relationship i did not want to be in, which could have caused the depression, but i didnt want to be in the relationship for a year prior to having the implanon put in, and i managed fine before then. I was a mess.
    When i had it taken out in feb this year i was a better person to say the least, i was able to come off my medication for depression and agoraphobia, and my life just seemed so, fantastic

I would NEVER use the implanon, ever. It messed with my body so much, and i couldnt do that to myself again!

I had mine removed a couple of weeks ago after having it in for a bout 8 months. For 8 whole months i bled for about 3 1/2 weeks out of every month! I was going to the gym at least 3 days a week but mostly 4-5 days & went on the tony fergison diet. I only lost 3kg in 8 months! I jsut couldnt lose any weight no matter what i did or ate. I have aleady lost a couple of kg since having it out.
    The Dr now wants to the mirena IUD in me. I have decided against it. I dont want any of that stuff in my body again. DF is now going to get the snip

i was offered the implamon but decided to take microlut instead- has anyone noticed any side effects (depression etc.) from the mini pill?
    sorry to hijack thread!! was just wondering if one was favourable over the other. if either is linked to depression i would rather just use condoms.

mummycate Guest

I mentioned some time ago about my implanon troubles, and that being said, I still recommend women to give it a try, as depression would be in effect pretty quickly, and it can always be removed. And the number or women experiencing depression via implanon isn't necessarily growing, more women are speaking up from past experience rather than current. I'm sorry about all of our problems with it, but glad we are getting back on track.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast