Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Important Info About Implanon

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd update you on what my Dr said re problematic bleeding (see post above). Basically she gave me 3 weeks of esteorgen (sp?) pills to build up the uterus lining and then after 3 weeks I will have a normal period which "cleans things out" and I should then go back to normal bleeding patterns. 3 days of the tablets so far and the bleeding has stopped - yay!

I *was* slightly disapointed as I was hoping to have an excuse to get the Implanon out early as I have a niggly feeling it's slowing down my weight loss (or it could be my addiction to cheesecake, cheese, and most foods!). Oh well... now I have to wait till late March to get it out...

Thanks ruth, mite talk 2 the dr bout oestrogen tabs. i have bled on and off since getting it in but it only stops 4 a couple of days then if DH n I DTD that aggravates it n makes me bleed again. v annoying but am my usual self, no depression here! also not having trouble losing weight but I have never had hormonal gains.

Hey Ali,

Do talk to your Dr about the tablets because apparently it's quite a common "fix" to the problem. She even offered to give me a sample pack of the pill as it has the right amount of oestrogen in it and that way I wouldn't have to buy any meds. But they had run out - still what I got only cost $17 from the chemist.

Glad to hear that you haven't had any mood or weight issues though and hopefully Dr can fix the bleeding. It's annoying isn't it?

Don't know how long I will stick with Implanon though becuase with the oestrogen tabs I seem to be getting all emotional! Will have to stick it out for another 2.5 weeks and hope it goes away! Work has already made me teary twice this morning - and it's not like a have a sad job!

But just to everyone reading this thread I would like to re-iterate that I had nil problems for the first 3.5 years on Implanon! It's not all bad! So do consider it and talk to your Dr.

This doesn't sound good at all. My SDD has it and has been hospitalized with suspected ovarian cysts.

I should talk to her....

mummycate Guest

Oh Lulu, my mum had benign ovarian cysts and around the same time, her mum had chemo and removal of her malignant ovarian cysts (they took both ovaries). So I know what its like. Its going down my maternal line so one day I might have it too. Hopefully they can fix it or at least let her have egg production and harvesting so that in the event of unworking ovaries, she can still have her children. I get an ultrasound every 1-2 years to check mine. Its a silent cancer, ovarian. Scares the hell outta everyone. I reckon everyone should get an ultrasound every 1-2 years just to have a look. We have pap tests don't we? Why not check our ovaries too?

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I thought when they did pelvic exams they were checking for abnormalities in the ovarian size?? thats just what my doc told me when i had my pap/pelvic exam...i could be wrong but i guess in ultrasounds you can see a lot more than you can feel in the general area...so yea good idea!!

mummycate Guest

Yes, with touch tests, you can only feel the bigger cysts, or clusters. With u/s you can see the tiny abnormalities and deal with it before it gets bad. Just like with mammograms. They tell you to get them but never tell you about u/s for ovaries.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Aww yup, i see what you mean!!

Hi. I had 2 Implanons (6yrs total) and have not had a period in all that time. I loved the reliability of it but i did get more anxious and irritable and depressed on it. I have heard that if you are overweight it can be "less effective" towards the end of the 3 yrs. dont know about any stats to prove that though.

I've had mine for over two years, and didn't have any bleeding at all for the first twelve months.

The last 12 months I've had spotting, not much, and now (at the end of the 2nd year) I'm getting spotting about three days a month, regularly in the last week of the month.

However, I have struggled to lose any weight over the last two years (only lost about 10 kgs when I think I should have lost heaps more) so I might consider getting it removed now to lose some weight.

I don't use it at all for contraception (I'm single!) so it's more the convenience of not having any periods!

Divvy, it is great not having af. I havent seen the old girl for nearly 8 yrs now. EXCEPt now that i am ttc i wish she would come back. I also had lots of trouble losing weight with implanon in. i am 20kg heavier that 6 yrs ago pre-implanon, and as much as i bust my gut to lose it i cant do better than 3-4 kg at a time and that comes back SO easily compared to the effort that it took to get rid of it that it is downright criminal! Hopefully it will be easier now that the stuff is working its way out of my system??

i have had my implanon for about 6 months now and my periods slowed down to about 3 days a week from 7 but recently they have just stopped coming i hurd that implanon can make them go away completly but i just a bit concernd because my bf and i were playing around and he grabbed my arm a little to tight and it left a bruise over where the implanon is and it would randomly start throbing for a few days. i was just wondering if somthing as small as this could damage it and allow you to fall pregnant? i have had to run to bathroom sick just at the smell of cirtain foods and my breasts are a bit sore but i thought that could just be the side effects from the implanon.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I've had implanon since DD was 6 weeks old (she's now almost 11 months). I like it except that my period is irregular as in when it will come, but when it does come it will last for 1 week, then stop for a day, then on and off each day for a week so I know that I'll bleed basically for 2 weeks...that part seems to be consistant. I'm trying to remember to mark when the bleeding starts and stops and it appears that I can go anywhere from 20 days to 42 days with no bleeding, but this doesn't seem to be consistant yet so I always have to be prepared JIC.

DH & I are talking about contraception and thinking about going back onto the pill, but we will have to wait until he starts working again (soon) as the ongoing cost for the pill is heaps more. Being on heathcare consession, the implanon only cost me $5 and it lasts for 3 years which is great. I do find though that the day before and the first day of bleeding causes me to have really bad pms, I don't think I ever got it as bad when I was on the pill or not on any contraception at all.

I got the implanon put in when DD2 was 4 days old (she is now 3 months old). I bled for 9 wks after having it put in. Not sure if I bled so long becasue I had just had a baby or because of the implanon (with DD1 I only bled for 2 wks but was on the mini pill instead). After my bleeding stopped at 9 wks I had no bleeding for almost 4 wks but now I am bleeding again (quite heavily) and have been for 10 days. I am sick of it. Other than the bleeding I don't mind it. It hasn't made me moody but I am struggling to lose weight and don't have much of a sex drive. I can't have any more children (due to rupturing in labour) so I need something that is going to work. I don't really want to go back on the pill and my dr doesnt want to try the mirena as he doesnt think my cervix will cope with it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123