Thread: stretch and sweep

Default stretch and sweep

I am due on th 15th of june. And my doctor said that he does not think anything will be happening anytime soon. So he wants to do a stretch and sweep this Wednesday (making me 40 + 3 days). First question is that to soon? Second what is a stretch and sweep? I guess I should have asked more about things but I have other things that were on my mind. I should also tell you that I had bleeding earlier on in the pregnancy and that was due to the the placenta coming away from the wall of the uterus a little.

I also have had not signs that my body is getting ready for labour.

Thanks for your help

Hi I had a sweep done with DD2 at 40+2 I think. It's an internal where the ob runs finger around cervix to get things going. She still wasn't born til 5 days later. But it can help. It's a bit uncomfortabe. It feels the same as an internal to check your dialation in labour.

HI!
    I had one with my last preg and it didnt do anything for me, was worth the try i suppose though, i ended up being induced anyway

I had one done at 41+1 and DS was born the same night. They will use the fingers to stretch the cervical opening a little to try and get things moving.

I don't think it will do much unless the cervix is already dilating and softening on it's own.

I had one done at 41+1 and DS was born the same night. They will use the fingers to stretch the cervical opening a little to try and get things moving.

I don't think it will do much unless the cervix is already dilating and softening on it's own.

I had one done at 41+1 weeks and ds was born the same evening. I was already 3cm dilated and probably ready to go at any time though.

Thanks everyone for explaining what it is. But I am going to tell the Ob on Wednesday that I don't want it done. My first child I was induced 10 days after her due date. So maybe I just have last babies. And to tell you the truth both my hubby and myself would like to have a cancer star sign baby. His mother died 2 years ago on the 15th June ( which is the same day I am due) My hubby was very close to his mother and had depression (which he saw a dr about) and I don't think it would nice for this baby to be born the same day his mother died. Now his mothers birthday is at the end of June (cancer star sign) so thats why we want to have a cancer star sign baby sort of to honor her.