Thread: Stretch n Sweep

Default Stretch n Sweep

Hi there, my GP has suggested that we could do a stretch n sweep next week if I wanted to get things moving - after I quizzed him about pressure points and tips for starting labour etc! Ive tried to find posts on this but cant seem to but am sure I have read about them here and heard they can be painful?? Has anyone had this done previously? I know I should just stop being so impaitent but I am exchausted, not sleeping and also am worried that ill go over and my dad who is flying in will miss seeing the baby! Anyway, just thought id try and get some opinions on this issue before I decide either way to go with it or not.

I didn't even know it was being done until the Dr told me later. It didn't hurt at all.

i had it done with DD and didnt hurt a bit!! dont get your hopes up that it will work, it didnt for me i went 11 days overdue!!

It should never hurt. I've had them done a few times. It may be uncomfortable, but if your uterus is ready for labour, its a nicer natural way besides drugs to bring on an iminent labour. It also doesn't mean any more interference either. Ive had 5 drug free natural labours with no type of interfence at all !!

Hello!!

What exactly is this stretch and sweep, I have never heard of it! I'm in my last week and would love it all to be over as so huge and uncomfortable now and with a little tot to chase all day long its getting quite impossible!

Ta
    Sus x

Thanks for your replies! And also to let me know that you still went 11 days over so I dont get myself to set up for dissapointment. I think I will just see how I go this week and if by Thursday bubs hasn't decided to start the venture I may go ahead with it - as you said it may still not make much difference anyway!

My girlfirend dropped in with her 6mth old this arvo and Ive realised that I should really enjoy these last days (or weeks) of just being me as life will never be the same. Will love to have baby before xmas so my dad can meet it and so we can have our first xmas but then Ithink there is something also in the baby being born on its destined day too. As you can tell, my hormones and emotions are all over the place! Im still having curry for dinner tonight though!

i had one done on tuesday. it hurt a little. my dr stretched me from 2cm to 3cm. wednesday morning i lost my mucos plug.
    now i'm just playing the waiting game.
    i never had one before with my other 2. so i cant tell you if it will work or not as i'm due tomorrow but am only allowed to go till the 12th.

I say just let nature take its course. We DTD when I was 5 days over which broke my waters, but no contractions. I had to be inducted and then have an emergency c-section because he was stuck. I really believe he wasn't ready to come out and we rushed him as we were impatient.

Sus- I think it is where the midwife or doctor uses their finger to gently move the water sac away from the uterus to help move labour along. It is meant to release labour hormones.

The midwife will run his/her finger around just inside the entrance of the uterus to losen the sack from the walls a bit . This will then cause the sack to hang a bit more into the cervix causing cervix to open more which allows more sack to push through etc so encouraging labour to start without breaking the waters. I dont know how well it works. I asked my midwife about it and she said it isnt used much anymore??? I still think I would rather it than artificial ruptre though. Good luck!