Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Suck On This

Hear, hear!

It's been wonderful to find a group that subscribes to the same parenting views that I do. I even bring DH on to have a look at some of the forum topics as my (now ours really) parenting style is quite different to what he'd previously seen in his family.

Back to the breastfeeding issue... I had an emergency c-section and my baby had to be taken to the special care nursery for antibiotics. DH went with her and when he came back to me I asked if he'd remembered to tell them that she was to be a breastfed baby, the nurse looking after me at the time quickly cut in with, "don't worry about breastfeeding, my daughters were all bottlefed and they turned out fine." No wonder so many mothers don't succeed if that is all the support they get!

Has anyone else seen the latest round of toddler milk ads? There seems to be a blitz of them on TV at the moment but the one I really hate is the Karicare one. For those of you who haven't seen it it has a revolting bear that says she breastfed for about 12 months but then she was worried that they weren't getting quite enough from thier solids and since she didn't want to feed them milk from another species she gives the toddler gold. Then there's a voice over about it being an important next step. The ad really ****s me on so many levels
    1-that it suggests that 12 months is the appropriate time to stop BF
    2-that it says that karicare is better than milk from another species. WTF?! is it made from human milk? I think not!!
    3-that it subtley implies that BM isn't nutritious enough to be an adequate supplement to solids
    4-that it suggests that formula is 'an important next step' as if BFing until you introduce cows milk and skipping formula alltogether would be causing your toddler to miss out on some imaginary developmental milestone
    5-that bear is just plain icky!!

Maybe I'm being a bit too full on in my analysis of the ad and the messages its pushing but I doubt it. When I was watching the ad a while ago I thought about this article and the points it makes about advertising and also about how much they are pushing toddler formula because they can't push the baby formula. I geuss that if companies can get people to use toddler formulas instead of extended breastfeeding they can make alot of money.
    Funnily enough karicare is the brand I give Yasin but the bear ad really makes me wish that I had suceeded in feeding him for longer and it makes me more determined to BF Imran until he's ready for cows milk. So does forking out $16 every couple of weeks at the supermarket.

I haven't seen the ad, but I know what you mean. They make it sound like a must-have.

But do you HAVE to give a toddler anything even if they're weaned? I'd like to avoid formula altogether, even if Tallon weans at 12 months (or whenever).

I haven't seen the ad either but I know a few ABA people have mentioned it on the email list I am on. I think I will be heading over to the karicare website & lodging a complaint!

Fiona I was just thinking the same thing. To even suggest what they are saying is ridiculous.

Chloe I don't think you've over analysed at all. Actually I think your pretty spot on there.

Ivana, I don't think that you have to give a toddler anything after they're weaned. Lots of babies are weaned onto cow's milk. I just like to give the formula to Yasin because he's so skinny and some days he seems to refuse everything I offer him so if he has some formula at least I know he's got some iron and calcium into him. Cow's milk with some multivitamins in it would probably be just as good for him.

Oh good. Sorry.. hope it didn't sound like I think it's bad to use formula I was just curious, as I have no idea of the milk-to-solids stages. hehe. I don't even know what rice cereal is or what to get, or how much to give.. and Tallon will be starting on it in a month or so! LOL. I have me some research to do! hehehe

Ohhhh I so know what you mean Chloe. Its disgusting isnt it. I mean I am so pro breastfeeding but it actually is designed to make mothers second guess themselves. If we dont have this amazing formula omg our children are really missing out...its just too ridiculous!

Jo

What an awful ad! I haven't seen them [toddler milk ads] over here, and I will make sure I won't with Liebling as our TV won't be on during the day when we do mummy-baby things; I'm guessing they're on with the children's things.

I must admit, I was in the shops yesterday and wanted to complain: the "baby accessories" area didn't have cute little jumpsuits in, or cute little toys; just bottles, dummies and sterilisers. They're not baby accessories! Accessories are to make you look cute and match an outfit, like a hat or something, not to push bottlefeeding as more fashionable!

I just emailed them. I quoted what you wrote in your post dach. hope you don't mind. I changed it a little but this is what I sent

I am writing in regards to your new ads being shown to promote Karicare Gold.The ad shows a mother bear that says she breastfed for about 12 months but then she was worried that they weren't getting quite enough from thier solids and since she didn't want to feed them milk from another species she gives the toddler gold. Then there's a voice over about it being an important next step. The ad really bugs me on so many levels

1-that it suggests that 12 months is the appropriate time to stop BreastFeeding
    2-that it says that karicare is better than milk from another species. Is it made from human milk? I think not!! Also is it made for bear milk as the mother bear would not want to give her cubs milk from another species. I am pretty sure that Bears are not part of the BOVINE family.
    3-that it subtley implies that Breast Milk isn't nutritious enough to be an adequate supplement to solids
    4-that it suggests that formula is 'an important next step' as if Breastfeeding until you introduce cows milk and skipping formula alltogether would be causing your toddler to miss out on some imaginary developmental milestone

I see you have the WHO guides on your web page so I am sure I don't need to point out that it is recomended to breastfeed for the first 2 years & beyond. Not just the first 12 like your Ad suggests.
    I have no problem with people using your product but I do have a major problem with parents being mislead that if they don't use it then their child is missing out on something more important then breastmilk.
    I would like to see your ad revised or all together pulled. I have taken the time to contact you directly about my concern & hope that you take it seriously.

Well said Fiona. Couldn't agree more. Do let us know if they reply to you.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Don't just stop there Fiona, get it out to the media There is lots of discussion and complaint about follow-on formula. Money hungry buggers! Maybe you should send them this article we are talking about
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Good for you Fiona

Jo

I also agree that those ads are irritating and make me angry. Especially the one with the paed. Good on you FionaJill for writing to them. We all should so they know how many people are not being misled by them.

I would also like to add that one of the messages I got from the article was that it is really up to us to do what we can to make people aware of bf and bring it out of the closet. We should proudly tell people how long we fed (or have been feeding for), we should proudly feed in public and ignore any criticism, and we should take opportunities to discuss why we believe in bf, and extended bfing. If those of us who are doing it don't "spread the word", others will only have the misleading info like that on those horrible toddler formula ads to go on. And for good measure we should also tell these companies that we know what they are doing is wrong!

That's my 2 cents worth...
    Melanie

On 9am yesterday they were talking about it being breastfeeding week, and she was saying how good bf is for the bub etc and then she said that of course not everyone is able to do it, it's great tho if you can. Once again bf was put in the light of being something hard to do, and it's great if you can achieve it.

I agree we should come out of the closet and openly breastfeed regardless of repercussions (within reason of course! lol.. you can still do it modestly and discreetly ) but I also think we should stop throwing in comments like.. "of course.. not everyone can do it, and it's ok if you have to formula feed" because we're scared of making ff mums feel bad. We don't want to soften the message of "breast is best" if you know what I mean. On the show, it was pro-breastfeeding, but then they threw in that comment which then takes away from the message that we should be breastfeeding. Did that make sense? (even I'm scared of making ff mums feel bad and am worried how I've worded this!)

I so agree re the toddler milk ads. I hate them all, the paediatrician one really grates on me, as well as the nestle one with that netball player. I have never used toddler formula, I feel that it is purely and simply a marketing scam. Both my kids went onto cows milk at just over the 12 month mark. If I ever feel concerned that they are not eating enough or getting enough nutrients I will first go to my CHN or GP to see if I have a legitimate concern or am just being a touch insecure and then I would buy a childrens multivitamin if it was recommended.

Ivana as a ff mum your comments don't make me feel bad

I've just got a breastfeeding ticker to do my bit to bring it out of the closet LOL.
    I agree about being more open about BFing because I know from my own experience that by doing so we can make a differance. One of my friends FF her first baby because her mother had FF her and her friends had FF so it was all she knew but after I BF Yasin and told her that almost everyone could BF and tried to give her heaps of support and encouragement she BF her second baby to 7 months and is only weaning now because she's pregnant again. I'm really proud of her for achieving it because she was told all her life that the women in her family couldn't BF so by doing so she's started a new family tradition.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My goal is to feed Elijah until he is two, I am almost there!!! I am so proud to have fed both of my children until they were two - I went through all the nipple problems with Marisa and fed through it, luckily with Elijah I have had no issues. Just reading these last few posts have really made me feel proud too, so thanks ladies
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast