Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding after 12 months

katanya Guest

OOhh just noticed this one..who else out there is still breastfeeding post 12 months??

How exciting! Our own forum!

Fantastic idea ....yaay.

Jo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Let's get started with a roll check then shall we?

I breastfed Marisa until she was a little over two (self-weaned just after I fell pregnant) and Elijah is almost 12 months and is still breastfed with no sign of him wanting that to change that yet!

Who's next?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I''m not yet breastfeeding but damn well will be in April next year.

I breastfed all three children, Ariani until 9 months, weaned onto a cup (she was a biter), Shay until 5 and a 1/2 months (I wasn't producing enough milk, and he was losing weight) and Zaki until 18 months.

I am hoping to definitely breastfeed for as long as I can with this one. Especially since it may be my last baby ever!

love
    sushee

katanya Guest

I KNOW there are more of us??

I'm still feeding William! And he'll be 1 next week. (boohoo) :smt022

Well I'm not b/f anymore but I fed Mason till he was 12mths, he weaned himself then and I was pg with Angus. Angus weaned himself at 14mths.

I plan on b/f any other babies I am blessed with having for as long as they want it too.

I know someone that breastfed up until he was 4!! LOL. I'm not inclined to feed up to an age where they'll REMEMBER!! However I'm hoping I can get a good year in, if not more.

It was funny watching my nephew feed tho, around 1 year and after, he was climbing all over his mother and twisting upside down etc etc while feeding. Very funny

And my piano teacher!! She used to feed during the lesson.. and the kid must have been about 2, he'd run in and say 'booby' so she'd pop him on, then he'd say 'other one! other one!'. LOL. And it didn't matter who was there... this even happened in front of my teenage bro in his lessons!!

*Rachel* Guest

Unfortunately, Keenan weaned himself at eleven months (two months into this pg), but I was prepared to go on as long as he wanted. My Ob (also a lactation consultant) says the next one will probably feed longer - so fingers crossed, I'll be joining you here then!

Good on all you 'BF one year and over' mum's - I can't wait to be one of you!!!

katanya Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nadia
    I'm still feeding William! And he'll be 1 next week. (boohoo) :smt022
    Nadia I am so proud of you for getting to this satge after reading your journey and issues with breastfeeding! Did you think you'd make it to 12 months??? And still going strong! \/ =D>

It was funny watching my nephew feed tho, around 1 year and after, he was climbing all over his mother and twisting upside down etc etc while feeding. Very funny
    That is Felix..well he now does something even cuter..he signs "Milk" then he giggles with delight and he grabs at my top with glee and gets this look of complete pleasure when feeding..LOl it's so cute..and then to swap side he signs "milk" again andI know he wants the other one!

And my piano teacher!! She used to feed during the lesson.. and the kid must have been about 2, he'd run in and say 'booby' so she'd pop him on, then he'd say 'other one! other one!'. LOL. And it didn't matter who was there... this even happened in front of my teenage bro in his lessons!!
    LOL how funny! I always wonder how it could appear to a teenager..at least he found out the right way what breasts are really for!

i breastfed my eldest son until 18months and second until 3. i let my kids wean when they were ready. my older two would often do the upside down feed or standing up feed. they would tell me they would prefer boosy milk to anything. it is so beautiful breastfeeding. i love it and so does oscar (and his older brothers when they were still breastfed) i think it can ease alot of baby and toddler problems. hunger, comfort, anxiety and little hurts. i love it now when oscar (3 months) has his feed and looks up at me and breaks the suction with a big smile with milk running out of the corners of his mouth. i love him so.

so glad to see this new forum i feel more at home in this one.
    beckles

yollie Guest

Hi I breastfeed my first till 3 1/2 and my second till he self weaned at 15 mnths :smt022 he was abiter aswell I send my sympathy to the other lady. I am sad that he didn't keep going even though he was killing me :-({|= but i love the smiles and the closness you get with the todler feeding and it truly is a cure for every bump or sadness throughout the day. I would be so happy if he just started again tomorrow and he has been off for 8 mnths (still got milk though if I needed too LOL)

Anyway Well done all you who have given your children the best gift you could

katanya Guest

Oh Yolie, how sad for you that your youngest self weaned so early..

I have said to myself that in this second year I will encourage feeding, but if he replaced food with milk and self- weaned I would allow him, but to be honest I would find it devastating..especially the thought of all those antibodies not getting in!
    After 2 I plan not to encourage but not discourage IYKWIM, and allow him to chose when to self wean(unless for some reason I decide to stop)..somehow I think we're going to be in it for the long haul as he's a VERY enthusiastic feeder still

eliana is almost 12months old & i plan on breastfeeding her till she self weans

Hi Girls! This is just an "I think you're all fantastic" post.

Hannah's only 5 months - but I'm going to be watching you girls for inspiration! I hope Hannah is still bf after 12 months.

Well girls I wont be here for long but wanted to post to say well done.

#1DS feed till 11mths, self weened. DD #2 Is in the process of being weened by me due to me being preg and severelly needing a pick me up. Due to my ill health, (baby is growing fine) dr has encouraged me to ween dd so I can pick up, before #3 arrives. We dropped the night feed last week and plan to drop the morning feed in a weeks time. I am soooo going to miss it and she has been a real booooby girl. Never wanted the bottle and struggels to drink enough cows milk for the calcuim.

Anyway, good on you ladies and I am sure this is going to be a great little encouraginmg group.

rails Guest

I never thought i would still be breastfeeding after the first couple of months - both my sisters had alot of trouble.... I experienced quite a few painful problems in the beginning. I soldiered on & am happy to say still going at it - Jesse nearly 6mths O
    I can truely understand the reluctance to wean .... i keep saying to myself - one more month, next month I will stop - but the thought of weaning fills me with saddness :smt022 , breastfeeding is such a beautiful feeling to share with your baby & i also love it - as Beckles said - when Jesse breaks suction & looks up at me with a big smile, milk running out the corners of his mouth - it is soooo cute. :smt055 ....
    So you never know I might still be here in another 6mths time joining you all again.

I am sad and worried too. I work a few days a week and I express during that time to keep my supply up and keep Matty in EBM when I am not around.

Today I only expressed 70mls! I usually get more than double that so I was a bit upset. The last few days Matthew has been having such big drinks, it worries me I haven't enough anymore? He is still having around 4 feeds a day and for the days I am at work, one of those is a ff.

Should I be worried if I can't feed him during the day and be content with a morning and night feed? What are all you girls doing?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast