Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding after 12 months

janelle just wondering if you were rushed today, stressed, tired or dehydrated, i know that can affect milk supply. we often express much less than our little darlings can suck out. they are so much more efficient than a pump! if you wanted to continue feeding him during the day when you are not working i know i used to just feed more often to build my supply up again on the days i was not working. it depends on what suits you and your little man. thats what i used to do cos that suited me. at the moment i am not in paid work and i demand feed oscar. do what suits you and your bub and relax, take a deep breath about your milk supply worry, remember our bodies fed and supported our bubbas in utero and we can give our bubbas enough milk when they are born we just have to try and trust ourselves.

HTH love beckles

Thanks for your post beckles, I have been a bit stressed about alot of stuff lately and yes, I realise that it could affect my milk. Today was around 120 mls so a bit better but it took aaagggeeesss to get that out! I am definitely preserving, there is nothing better i think for me and Matthew than me feeding him - just too good.

Can I ask a silly question? Several mums in my mothers group ae talking about weaning, and I dont understand it.
    Why pay for formula when you arent working, bb works good, and baby likes it? I understand completely where babies are not growing as much as they should, but I got the impression that mums were doing it for their convenience?
    How does a baby self wean, and how many feeds are you giving them at 12 months?
    I dont see any sign of us stopping bfding, and Jenna is 7 months.
    Fi

katanya Guest

h Fi I'm so with you..I don't get weanng motivated by a mother desire to have more time to herself as I would find carting bottles around more hard work! I hated having to take expressed milk everywhere when I was experessing and supplimenting..

Every baby is SO different..alot of babies who are good solids eaters are down to just a nigt and morning feed by 12 months and this is enough to give them the antibodies and extra calories..
    Of course others who don't eat solids as well may be still drinking 4 times a day ..

I think when you get to 12 months the rules of braestfedeing should be negotiated with your baby and yourself..some woman are happy for their child to have a quick thirst quench during the day..and othes would prefer their child to only breatsfeed at home and when they wake up and before bed..there is no hard rules..
    My friend's little girl is 17 mths like Felix and was only having feeds at night and morning as her mother is working again..but wen she was really sick she'd feed during the day again and her mum just worked her down to the end of day feeds again..she is a super keen feeder but is okay with the rules her mum has set up..

I did plan for Felix to be down to 2 feeds by 12 mths but things didn't work out that way for us..

Fi - Funny you should post your question I was just talking to Mark about the same thing yesterday, I completely understand how some women have so many problems they have o stop but for the ones who don`t and decide to formula feed I don`t understand

Rails - I`m with you never thought I`d get this far as noone in my family could feed but here I am and I hope to continue until Matthew self weans, so I may be here as well in another 6 months time but it will all depend if Matthew still likes the taste once I`m pregnant.

I`d love to join all you long time feeders as I know I`m going to feel so sad when Matthew decided it`s enough, it`s all up to him but at nearly 6 months of age he`s not looking at stopping

Fi and Dee - i was too talking about this with my mum. All but one or two of the mothers in my MG are going to stop B/F at 6 months (two months or so away and they have already decided). They are of the mindset that their babies have received all nutrional value????? that they can and want their bodies back. Its really funny too cause they all seem so comfortable feeding ATM and have no qualms feeding in public etc. I am probably so the other way as i think of formula as poison compared to BM and dont want to have to pay for something that is abundantly coming from my chest!

I love BF my boy and am way too disorganised to bottle feed!!

yollie Guest

Nellbe.
    You can take Motilium/Domperidone to bost you supply so you don't have to give any artifical milk. 30mg X 3 for 3 weeks I think is the recommended coarse? I used this to bring my supply back up after a server asthma attack treated with steroids when my second was 9months and trying to wean which I didn't want to happen( it was bad enough when he refused at 15mnths) natural remedies also work like Fenugreek tabs or tea. Anyway thought you might like to know these things are around

Heather - you and I sound much alike. Bb is waaaaay to convenient for me! Blow all that sterilising
    Jenna's chucking has improved sooo much, I'm tempted to try a coffee tomorrow. It would be only the 4th I've had in 7 months!!!! I had a cup of tea the other day, and she was a bit chucky. The good news is, nothing I eat seems to make any difference anymore, so I'm back on cauli, capsicum, chocolate, and everything else. Oh - except onions. I'm still not convinced pickled onions are a good idea.....

i can now officially say that im breastfeeding after 12 months!!! im so glad that eliana is still feeding well though a few people have said to "oh you are going to keep breastfeeding her?" don't know why they would just assume that i would stop!

katanya Guest

OH Yay for you Mel!!!! and Eliana!!! Toddler feeding is just the best
    Congrats on a year of a beautiful breastfeeding relationship! \/

yay mel well done, katanya's right it is the best! i agree why would people assume you will stop when it's so yummy for them and they love it so! =D> =D> =D> to you two.

love beckles

OOOh let me in here, I feel at home!!
    I BF the twins til 14 months, I weaned as I was diagnosed with Mutiple schlerosis when they were born, and they wanted me to start medication.
    I BF Rianna til 18 months, she was still 3 feeds a day, I was 6 months pg, and uncomfortable and tired, she has never drunk milk, but gets her calcium from cheese and yogurt ( she "had" to cut out lunchtime feed at 12 months as I started a new job, and was orientation, I regret not making a bigger issue of it, and finding the time to express at work, as I love my little "destiny child" concieved after the cutting out of this one feed !!
    I am BF Dion now at 4 months, and an work friend whose baby is 3 days younger than Dion has just swtched to formula, coz, "well 4 months is enough" firat question to me, "are you going to wean soon?" WTF??? my answer, nope keep at it til we're finished LOL

Us too,

I realise that I am a bit late but I was thrilled to happen upon this topic. I am still feeding DS aged 16 months. I 'encouraged' him to drop to two feeds at 13 months as AF had not yet returned and we wanted to TTC #2. We are now 6 weeks pregnant and the nursling is still nursing strong.

Tandem feeding here we come!

Keep up the good work bestfeeeding girls! =D>

What a lovely thread,

I'm new to BB, and wanted to add my little bit in here...As you can see from my sig, I'm not with a little baby any more, and I'm not actually breastfeeding anymore either. BUT< my oldest son Sam breastfed right through my second pregnancy, and then for another 8 months, when he weaned himself. Every new mother should have a breasfeeding toddler at her disposal, no engorgement! Then Jake just fed and fed and fed...he stopped for good one night 3 months before his 4th birthday, sat up on my lap and said "I think I've just had my last mouthfulls"!!! What a joy and a pleasure it was to breastfeed for all that time, never in a million years when I was pregnant with #1 did I think it would happen like that, but I'm so glad it did...and I have 2 ridiculously healthy, and well adjusted boys despite, or as a result of it!

Cheers

Tania

yay tania nice to hear of someone else who has breastfed up to preschool. my second son zak weaned at two months short of 4 years similar to your jake. well done you. and yay to being an independant midwife. so great to have you around i look forward to hearing your wisdom on breastfeeding especially with all your 'hands on' experience.

love beckles

Colleen Guest

Yay! We made it

Jaykob is 13.5 months now and even though I did plan to wean him he is still having 2 feeds a day from me + 1 bottle of cows milk

katanya Guest

Hey guys just dropping by to say we're still feeding still during the day and morning and night

Good news is Felix sleeps thorugh most nights (we still co-sleep) and the feeding happens more during the day than night

as we are heading towards 2 I am debating to whether i start to wean him during the day, I do find myself negotiating with him now when we are out and to be honest it's when I am home and sitting down he wnats to feed..

He copes well having days away from me(with his dad or CC) , he has his "pedisure" drink in the middle of the day.

so I guess we'll just keep going ! He says "please" and signs please to have a BF..it' very cute ..

OK - we are rapidly approaching 12 months (3 weeks to go) and I just dont know what to do about feeding her.
    I'd like to drop the lunchtime feed - especially sicne I'm back at work full time, and it means my lunchtime isn't taken up with either racing home to feed her, or expressing.
    I'm probabyl ok to keep feeding her during the day in the weekend, but ideally I'd liek to drop it.
    I'm happy to do a morning feed, as this is her best, and the nighttime feed is just so a part of the routine, I'm reluctant to drop that too.

I'm very conscious about conceiving again, and not overloading my body. I think with the last one (and subsequent miscarriage) I was just trying to do too much, so when I got hit with the gastro, I had nowhere to go but down. I ended up on an IV through dehydration, and probably lost the baby as a result.
    So - what do I do? Keep feeding?? I personally dont want to do the 3yo feeding thing, already she is twisting and carrying on, and starting to pull up/down my top, which is a bit annoying, esp in public!! And she is rather fixated on other womens bb's.

And my MCHN isn't too much into extended feeding, so I know she'll tell me to wean.
    ARGH - too hard basket!!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast