Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demand Feeding

Default Demand Feeding

Okay I`ll start this off I`m demand feeding with Matthew, I decided while I was pregnant that this was the only way to feed.

Matthew has always fed every 2 - 3 hours throughout the day, I get him up nappy change/feed/play/feed and he falls asleep in my arms feeding.

Matthew was sleeping through at night from 11 - 15 weeks but that all changed with teething at the moment I`m getting up to him 2/3 times a night to feed and thse feeds are done in bed so Matthew knows it`s night time and he`ll be put back into his cradle for a sleep.

I did have a number of comments from MIL stating that she doesn`t like demand feeding, babies should be fed every 4 hours, these comments to me where all before Matthew was born so afterward he was born I got so many comments of 'are you feeding him again', he`s not hungry he`s got wind, he doesn`t want another feed you just fed him not so long ago ](*,)

I got through all those comments and continued demand feeding and hopefully I can continue demand feeding for as long as Matthew wants the BB`s, it`s worked for us.

I`d like to hear from others who believe in demand feeding.

Take Care

Deeanne

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I've demand fed all my kids, and like you got a lot of nasty comments from a lot of people. Now my kids are all healthy, strapping teenagers, I feel vindicated in deciding on what was, back then, not the most popular choice.

I say good on ya. You are the mum and you know what's best for your baby. Every fours hours indeed!

love
    sushee

I'm still expecting my first, but am planning on demand feeding. I was quite surprised to find out that so many people used strict routines and fed only at feeding times! Hopefully the demand feeding will work for us... It's really rude that people would comment on your feeding - surely feeding is something that is different for all babies and their parents anyway?

Ive always demand fed and extended feeding into toddlerhood and it has always worked for me. Im lucky that I have never had any negative comments from anyone as they all seem to believe in the same things as me with regards to what is best for bubs. It seems so natural that a bub indicate when he or she is hungry. Ive always questioned routine feeding as while i understand and appreciate that for some bubs it might be best for them, ive always felt that in a way its controlling them right from the start as opposed to letting the little darlings show us what they want.

Jo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've always demand fed my two and never watched the clock, mainly because I feel that they know when they are hungry and / or need it. I know sometimes I am more hungry at times than others, and I am one to get grumpy when I am hungry for too long LOL!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I pretty much demand feed Zander. Only thing is now that he's bigger he doesn't let me know most of the time when he's hungry so I have to keep an eye on it.

Melinda Guest

Yep, we demand fed too (bottle-fed).

For a while Jacob was the same sleep/feed/play/feed/sleep........and that worked fine for us. It wasn't until he was older that it became sleep/feed/play.

katanya Guest

I always demand fed Felix when he was younger it was only at 10 mths when we had to introduce some form of suplimenting to get his weight back up that I was expressing and adding formula, and trying to get him on a eating plan..so was more structured about it..now because we have so many weight issues I try to space him long between breatsfeeds and hope that he'll eat more..at night he is still demand feed even with his NGT pump feeds of pedisure...

Of course he is 17 months old so breastfeeding has became of a different level of importance in the dietary spectrum..it's important he eats other food too..

The whol concept of sceduled feeding came about following the formula plan in the 50/60, apparently when they fisrt designed formula, they designed it to be give every 2 hours, and then theywere told to go back to the drawing board because no one would want to feed their baby every 2 hours..so it became a 4 hourly feeding plan..
    According to the ABA this is when the 4 hourly breastfeeding plan was introduced..but it was followed by women "failing" to gain milk supply and therefore giving up breatsfeeding as their children were starving..and of course then using formula..

Demand feeding is instinctive and the natural way to eat, the reason young baby want to feed so much is that they have sop much growing to do! Their hunger is dictated by the growth patterns (hence the grown spurt feeding frenzies) and when their growth patten slows so does their need for frequent feeding..

Felix feed every 1-2 when he was very little and slept through @ 8 weeks old..he gained every qucikly in those days and was content.

As he got older his appetite slowed and he naturally spaced himself to 3 hours, and obviously the older they get the more they can hold in their tummies so they need feeding less often..Felix feed every 3 housr under 12 months..

All I can say of your MIL is butt out! I used to get the rolled eyes and "do you think you are over feeding him?" from my mum and " is he feeding AGAIN..?" from step father..I just ignore it and did my thing..

I demand feed both of mine, but was told too, b/c they were both born 5 weeks early, but I'd do it the same again and again, even if the next one when we decide too is full term.

It keeps them happier I think, and heck if they don't want it then they'll refuse it.

Sorry but I've always said listen to others advise(smile) but in the end do what you want to do and feel most comfy doing! O

Don't worry Dee, you are definitely not alone! I demand feed Matthew his breastfeeds. The hardest thing is when you have someone else look after him for a period of time, like my MIL in my case and I tell her what I want but all I get is 'I'm experienced' and then proceeds to do what she wants which is very frustrating. She feeds Matthew by the clock but I just have to bite my tounge, she is after all doing us a favour and it isn't often.

I demand feed as well. I few a few issue initially with breast feeding, bubs was a lazy feeder and to small for me, so as a result my supply dropped. I worked hard at getting my supply back and bubs is now happily gaining weight, so I am not going to do anything that could possibly mess it up like scheduled feeding. Also bubs is so much happier feeding when she wants (she also likes to feed to sleep). For awhile there I did try the 3 hourly sleep/feed/play routine, but it just made both of us miserable. I hate watching the clock and prefer to go with the flow.

I like the idea of feeding bubs like we eat. If I am hungry I will either have a snack or have my main meal early. I don't see why babies should be any different. The same goes with going out. Often I will have a quick snack before I leave if I know that it could be a couple of hours before I can eat, so I give bubs a snack before we leave as well. If I fed by a schedule then I would not be able to do that, I would have to time trips around bub's feed.

I also coped criticism from my MIL when she was over to help when bubs was only a 1 week and half old. This was when I found out bubs was a lazy feeder and losing weight. I had to start expressing 2 hourly for 20 minutes a time and feeding bubs expressed breast milk or formula 3 hourly. I was a sleep deprived wreck with severe carpal tunnel as well. About 4 times a day MIL would say to me how she fed 4 hourly, didn't need lactation consultants to show her how to breastfeed and that "you only have to BF for 6 weeks, I know 'cause I had 2 boys". Obviously having had 2 boys made her more qualified than a lactation consultant, the ABA and the WHO. She was such an expert at BF her milk dried up in 6 weeks with both her sons. I asked DH to ask her to stop, but he said she means well and I should just accept it. As if I really needed that kind of well meaning support. She would also question out decision to BF at all. Every day both DH and I coped the "but why?"

I am so glad I continued though, it was worth all the hard work and I plan to BF as long as both of us are willing and able

Astrid

katanya Guest

I also coped criticism from my MIL when she was over to help when bubs was only a 1 week and half old. This was when I found out bubs was a lazy feeder and losing weight. I had to start expressing 2 hourly for 20 minutes a time and feeding bubs expressed breast milk or formula 3 hourly. I was a sleep deprived wreck with severe carpal tunnel as well. About 4 times a day MIL would say to me how she fed 4 hourly, didn't need lactation consultants to show her how to breastfeed and that "you only have to BF for 6 weeks, I know 'cause I had 2 boys". Obviously having had 2 boys made her more qualified than a lactation consultant, the ABA and the WHO. She was such an expert at BF her milk dried up in 6 weeks with both her sons. I asked DH to ask her to stop, but he said she means well and I should just accept it. As if I really needed that kind of well meaning support. She would also question out decision to BF at all. Every day both DH and I coped the "but why?"
    God well meaning my foot!! What a interefing person..god I'm sure there a million things I did that My MIL didn't approve of and she hadly said a thing! (thank god)
    The fact she hasn't realsised that research has discovered new things and helath professionals aare there to help!! god..I think you are AMAZING to get through all that and still be breastfeeding and sane 8-[

I often think the opposite to this whole thing, I worry because I am going to be too encourage or devasted if my future DIL decides not to breastfeed 8-[ I just want to try to remember stories ike yours so I am supportive of whatever her decisions are

Melody Guest

Honestly Deeanne, you are damned if you do & damned if you dont as far as critisism goes....

I don't demand feed & have a system that works for myself & bub. Despite the fact that each week he puts on phenominal amounts of weight & is a healthy & very happy boy I still get comments from every direction from MIL/FIL/Mum/Dad/Sister/SIL etc, etc.....

Please just look into your own heart & do what you know is right for your little man.... in the end that is all that matters If demand feeding is what works then do it to your hearts content!

i am still very new at this myself LOL!! but so far i am just demand feeding emma, she seems to know what she needs and i just run with that. i do sort of keep an idea in my head of how regularly she feeds though, just for my own peace of mind. i think if babies are happy and putting on weight no-one else has any right to judge or interfere,

I got into another thread a while ago about this. I was kinda leaning towards more scheduled feeds for my own sanity, plus I've seen demand feeding go wrong, with the baby latching on all the time but not feeding, just wanting the comfort. I've since been thinking it could have been my dumb SIL putting bub on the boob everytime he whimpered! Not the bubbies fault!

But I've been reading up on things (keeping an open mind.. trying anyway!!) and have read that demand works best with breastfeeding for keeping your supply up, and I definitely want to breastfeed as long as possible.

I received all the little leaflets etc from the hospital, and it seems they encourage baby-led feeding, which at first I balked at thinking sheesh can't they just explain both and let us choose?? hehe.

But you know.. I haven't asked my mum what SHE did! I know my MIL only fed for 3 weeks coz her stupid grandmother told her it's bad for the baby if you drink too much fluid.. so of course she dehydrated and dried up. DUH!. I know mum only fed me for about 3 months, I wonder if this was because she schedule fed and lost her supply? Must find out.

I like the idea of giving bubs a snack before going out. If that works then I guess I'll be happy to demand feed. It's because I'll be working and visiting clients still, that I thought scheduled might work better, but I dunno now. I will continue to read up and talk to people about this one.

PS. I'm already getting criticism when I say I plan to go cloth for nappies, so what's more criticism for how I feed? hehe :roll:

I feed Indah when she wants to be fed, it seems to be approx every 4-05 hrs during the day, but around dinner time she seems to want it more & will have 2 really close feeds (about 2 hours apart) then will want another 4 hours alter & will sleep for 6 hours wake feed & sleep another 4+ hours & she looks so chubby now!!! Has a lot of chins & neck rolls! hee hee!

I look at the clock when I feed, but only to seew hat time it is...

I could not nurse her while she screamed wanting breast, my boobies just ache then anyways!

If I happen to be away from her I know whe is awake & needs a feed as i get really strong let down sensation....

I love letting her tell me when she is hungry, makes her more independant!

I have always demand fed Jenna too - although this means some clock watching on occasion. I had one good piece of advise, which is try and stretch out your feeds to start 2 hourly of each other to help with colic and wind etc. It seems to make a little difference, and give me 30 mins off between feeds (at the newborn stage). And when I have to go out and do something without Jenna, I need to watch the clock so I'm back in time for her next feed - which is usually 3 hourly.

I was really surprised with my mother recently who said - "I believe a baby should be fed when it needs to, whether 2,3 or 4 hourly. If she is upset, feed her!" Considering mum raised babies in the 60's, I was really surprised about this.

I also read somewhere the other day that in the 60's only about 30% of babies were breastfed (I think) whereas now something like 85% are. Isn't that an amazing statistic?

Fi

Geez thats an amazing statistic...its wonderful to see now though.

Jo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast