Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Demand Feeding

wow Fi - only 30% in the 60s!! i wonder why?isnt it great that such a high % are BF now though

That is a wonderful statistic.

It seems like I`m not the only one who`s MIL has voiced her opinion about demand feeding.

katanya Guest

Is that from birth? because unfortunately the stats drop significantly after 6 weeks i think..

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

That's what I heard too Katanya...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Lee-Ann Guest

My poor DD1 was starved as I thought you only fed a baby every 4 hours, I had no one to tell me that I was doing it wrong and it wasn't until she was about 4 months old that the community nurse told me that she was hungry. She ended up weaning herself at 6 months onto bottles as I was using EBM in a bottle so her dad could do a shift at night while I slept and well DD1 preferred getting her feed immediately as opposed to working for it a bit on the breast.

I demand fed DD2 and let her comfort feed. I didn't want to deny my newborn any comfort what-so-ever and especially didn't want to starve her. It was hard going when I'm feeding 1.5 - 2 hourly, but really it was only for 8 weeks and I figured afterwards what was 8 weeks of my life, plus she cut her first tooth (and it was the top one first) at 7 weeks of age which I couldn't believe and I think it could have explained a lot really with her waking so regularly apart from the hunger.

With this bub I'll definitely be demand feeding again. I don't mind if she will be a comfort feeder either, better her being content and close to me if that's what she needs. It worked for my 2nd daughter so I have no qualms doing it again.

i demand fed all my boys. i don't even look at the clock. i just feed him when he seems like he is working up to cry. he soons tells me if that isn't what he wants - but usually it is. my milk supply wouldn't last with routine feeding i need to give frequent feeds to keep it up.

beckles

beckles - i think not looking at the clock is a great idea. i am teaching myself not to. because if i do i think "oh no you shouldnt be hungry yet!" but if i dont i just feed her and it is done and no worries.

Im not sure what to do this time, although Im sure I'll find my routine with baby soon enough. With DD I demand fed and this led to a huge problem. She'd feed every 1.5 hours during the day, which was fine, but then it continued into the night. So for the first 8 months I was waking 6 times a night to feed her. It was really really difficult. Any ideas how to not get stuck in that pattern? Ideally I'd love 3 hour spaced feeds, but I know from DD I will be feeding her when she's hungry. xo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Meg,

Again I would say that was something that is normal - most bubs tend to have periods of wakefulness, clinginess, wanting to suck more etc. and it's not really getting stuck in a new pattern... just a challenging developmental time. Maybe some extra support is in order unless you really want to go down a routine path... otherwise it's normal and it's a matter of surrendering. I know it's hard... been there twice now sweets...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Colleen Guest

*hand up*

I demand fed from day 1 and still do...

It was very trying at some stages, but I knew it was right for us. Jaykob was born big and was hungry from the moment he came out, he latched on perfect and had a big feed... The midwives told me to hold out three hours which was fine, he was happy with that.. and once we were home he generally did hold out 3 hours, but occasionally he wanted to feed ALOT! lol i put this down to a few growth spurts..

Jaykob can sometimes want to feed morning x1, afternoon x1 and night x 1 and sometimes he can want 2 feeds in the morning and nothing til late arvo and 2 feeds before bed but I let him guide me, I know when hes hungry so im not going to hold back, happy baby = happy mum!

Routines are all fine for some people but i dont have my meals at 6,10,2,6,10,2 , im not very routine orientated! lol I eat when im hungry and so does Jaykob

Kirsty77 Guest

You know I was orignaly really miffed by this 'demand feeding thing'.I really didn't know what it was and yet I was doing it with Gemma!I never thought and I know this is naive of me, that you would wake your baby to feed them!Although in hospital I did try waking Gemma once and she got so cranky that I never did it again!The midwife advised me to do it, but I can't imagine how I'd feel getting woken up from a deep slumber and a bottle shoved in my mouth!I can understand if your baby doesn't feed well that you'd do it or if they are sick, but under normal circumstances I'd NEVER wake Gem if shes asleep!ANd yet shes fallen into a little routine of her own.If shes awake more then she'll feed more often.

This question will probably reveal how little I know about feeding babies... Does demand feeding only apply to breastfeeding? If formula feeding, is that more scheduled? or can you still just feed when bubs wants?

dont know ivana, hope someone can help you with this one....

Colleen Guest

Ivana, from what I can gather and what my health nurse always told me is that a breastfed baby cant really over feed but with formula I think its different

but Im sure someone else will be able to tell you much much more!

katanya Guest

I know women who demand feed their babies Formula, but the general advice from MCHN's is to feed on scedule as that is the way the formula is designed(to last 4 hours)...and you CAN over feed them..

hmm.. ok.. thanks. I guess they stay feeling fuller with the formula and the demand feed would probably fall into a more scheduled pattern coz of that anyway.

that I can successfully breastfeed.

katanya Guest

Ivana are you aware that the Australian Breastfeeding Association now run breastfeeding classes for pregnant women? This is the ebst time to find out all the correct info on breastfeeding as when you have the baby all the stress of the early days it is hard to learn new information then.

I am not allowed to post the link here, but I can PM you the ABA site details so you can contact them to find out more..

It is a wonderful way for women to increase their chances of having the right info to help them sucessfully feed.

Ive found it on their site. There's classes just round the corner from me! I will definitely look into that. Thanks Katanya. I know DH is adamant that we breastfeed, and I've told him not to be too disappointed if I just can't. But if we can prepare as best we can, then we know we at least tried!

woops.. sorry... went a bit off topic there.. but I guess I need to be breastfeeding to consider demand feeding!

thanks girls.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast