Thread: I so dont understand this..... scheduling?

Default I so dont understand this..... scheduling?

So today I had netball training, and was asked if I'm still breastfeeding... The kid is 3mo, OF COURSE!!! When they asked me how long you are supposed to feed for, I thought about it for a few seconds and said - 18m or so I'm a bit naughty, but how great that these 18-24yo girls are going to think its the norm to breastfeed for that long. My little bit of advocacy today!

Anyway - then I went to play netball, and was commenting on the fact I had to express when I got home, and the woman next to me said she had a 4mo who was feeding every 4hrs.
    Wow I said - thats great, really gives you some freedom. How did you manage that?
    She went on to tell me that she had been to a 5w course before her first baby was born, and it taught them how to manage feeding.
    Up til 8w you feed every 2-2.5hrs. Then you up it to 3hrs when they are 2-3m, then 3-4m every 3.5hrs, then at 4m its every 4hrs.

WTF??? I so dont understant how you can train a little baby like this?

I just responded with, yeah - I just feed Hamish when he cries, so it could be 90mins, or it could be 4hrs. Whatever. She didn't know how to take that at all. I got some seriously strange looks!!

So there you go - there is baby training in Geelong that teaches you all about breastfeeding Mind you, I spose its better than her being bottlefed, so not all complaints.

Gosh - and it took 5 wks to learn LOL. What happens in growth spurts when bub needs to demand more milk from the boobs? I hope they're not encouraging making the baby wait to be fed

Geez, bring on mastitis!! I dont' get scheduling, either. It seems so 'logical' for the first nano-second, then it really just isn't! How would you feel if you were at work and your boss said 'no more lunchtime, wait till you get home, you aren't hungry enough and it's not convenient for me'...why is it so different for a baby whose main instinct for so many months is survival? Argh!
    I'm typing this whilst attached to a breast pump and the boy is asleep...how did I get engorged this time? I demand-feed, dammit, whhhhyyyyyyyyyy????
    Ooooh, and I like the cheeky '18 months or so' bit...will try that next time!

Thats too bizarre...how do they do it?????? Sorry baby...wait for another half hour...geesh!

Lol at the 18 months Fi. My brother and his partner are pregnant with their first baby and has been ringing for advice regularly and he asked how long you 'should' breastfeed for...I said 2 years lol!!! He gasped hehe..so I said well at least til 12 months lol

Jo

I guess all these kids have dummies, which aren't used for comforting - rather to push the feed back..... Grrrrr

storm04 Guest

Wow how bizarre, after three BF babies mine were all fed on demand sometimes they would sleep 5 hours when they were 4mths old sometimes 2, how can you tell a baby to wait, "hmm no sorry its not time yet you can wait till its 2pm for your feed!! "
    I know with all mine there was one part of the day where for at least 3 hours bubs would be on and off me constantly every ten minutes and i always put it down to, ok this is their three hours!! It gives bubs comfort and it will all be over soon!
    Thats what i told myself anyhow and gradually as we know this all soon passes and they get themselves into a routine.
    I was told though it was a big no no to let bubs get comforted on the boob but its easier said than done when you have a screaming baby, others to run around after and your at your wits end!
    Maybe its an easy way out but no way, could i see myself with a newborn who was in a set feeding routine! I could not sit there and let is cry waiting for the time to feed him/her
    Thats just me anyhow
    Thats to bizzarree to me

bizarre indeed.... i actually love it that Eden is in control of her tummy, isnt that one of the positive reasons to booby feed?

hmmm sounds like the 1950's and we all know how great the breastfeeding rates for back then were My breasts just have to have frequent feeds, i would loose my supply going 4hours before feeds back then.... she's lucky she is one of the very few people it can work for. 4 hours between feeds poor hungry baby, might be alright with cows milk in it's belly but quickly digested breastmilk. wow.
    beckles

God my nearly 6 month old still feeds 3 hourly, sometimes bit longer sometimes can be shorter.
    I'd like to know in this 5 week course to learn all this did they learn what to do when the baby is crying with hunger and can't understand why he/ she is not being fed?

I put 2.5 hours on feeds... but if bub wouldnt settle with a cuddle or a bum change or a belly rub (from wind pain) then on he went!!

I think one thing to remember is some people that take these sorts of "courses" have not much faith in thier own ability as a new mum.... it makes them feel confident that they are in control .... try not to look down on them... its just thier way of dealing with thier "issues".

There is so much preassure put on new mums to BF and EVERYONE had thier own bit of advice that is 100% right as far as they are concerned.

I would have LOVED to keep BF... but to go from a size 12 to a size 6 in 3 months was just too draining..........
    everyone is different and has thier own story.

I guess that's where my frustration lies - not in the mothers, but in their supposed 'support systems'. Instead of trying to get mothers in touch with their own confidence and instincts (somewhere, not matter how deep down, us mammals know what to do, but modernisation has removed us from ourselves a lot), they impose someone else's methods on women who are desperate for the answers. Kitty, I do completely agree that they need our compassion! When I shake my head at these stories, it's usually because someone who is in a position to know and teach better has failed to empower someone properly
    That's separate from supply issues - losing that kind of weight has got to come at a price, but you are both well and that's the important part! Back in the old days, there would have been someone in your 'village' who would have fed your child in your situation, because, yes, breastfeeding fails from time to time (naturally, not because of lifestyle related issues) in all mammals! It's when breastfeeding needn't fail that I become dismayed for the child and mummy

Quote Originally Posted by IK View Post
    I guess that's where my frustration lies - not in the mothers, but in their supposed 'support systems'. Instead of trying to get mothers in touch with their own confidence and instincts (somewhere, not matter how deep down, us mammals know what to do, but modernisation has removed us from ourselves a lot), they impose someone else's methods on women who are desperate for the answers. Kitty, I do completely agree that they need our compassion! When I shake my head at these stories, it's usually because someone who is in a position to know and teach better has failed to empower someone properly
    he he he.... that is sooo true!!!

And yes.... you hit the nail right on the head there!! These "support" people take advantage it seems.... abusing thier powers in such a way that puts what they think and believe onto someone with a fragile confidence.

AGAIN... you cracked me up with that...... bought a smile to my dial in regards to my remorse of giving up on BF.

whoops.. meant to quote the whole lot... LOVED that part about the "village"
    xoxo

I'm not having a go at her feeding, afterall, better on the breast than the bottle, but I just dont understand how a course can make people think they have ALL the answers? How does this work?
    Wouldn't you better off teaching peoples that they have the power to control their lives.
    Anyway - glad to see I'm not the only one that thought it was a little odd

Its just a good thing her baby fits the textbook for that style *hopefully*. I know neither of my girls ever fit the textbooks... I can't imagine not feeding. Jovie is still refusing to breastfeed but I always offer bb's first and then the bottle if she refuses. I am happy to do either if she's hungry & wants it and when she wants it.