Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clothing Requirements?

I know what you mean Tanya... it's kinda different with Jewish/Amish women who also cover up due to their faith... they are more likely dressed in very plain clothing and the Amish don't wear makeup of any kind. I'm not condemning Muslim women, good on them because yes, they do often look gorgeous!

Tanya, I think that some people would say that it's contradicting the point of hijab to look gorgeous but I think that it's ok. Personally I'm not ready to dress like a grandmother quite yet. I aim to dress modestly yet with some style and flair and I think that lots of other Muslim women do to.
    I do sometimes see young women on with really skin tight clothes and I kind of wonder why they bother with wearing a scarf but then I remind myself that I'm just being judgmental and that it's better to make an effort and get it wrong than not to even try.
    It can be difficult for young Muslim women in the west being caught between their faith and the mainstream.

Yael I am so amazed that you wear a wig, I honestly never would have imagined that in 5 million years, you look awesome One question though if you don't mind... Why skirts / dresses? Is there some specific reason you don't wear pants?
    Hey Sarah, sorry, just saw this now. Yes, it is forbidden in Jewish law to wear pants, so i'm only allowed to wear skirts that go past my knees (when sitting down) and arent' tight. The main reason for not wearing pants is they outline your legs and your bum, revealing areas that aren't considered modest, yet skirts don't do this.

I know what you mean Tanya... it's kinda different with Jewish/Amish women who also cover up due to their faith... they are more likely dressed in very plain clothing and the Amish don't wear makeup of any kind. I'm not condemning Muslim women, good on them because yes, they do often look gorgeous!
    There is nothing in Jewish law that says that women have to wear plain clothes. You aren't supposed to wear flashy vibrant clothes that attract attention (no clothes with writing on it, no bright colours etc) as that is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve through the laws of modesty (to be viewed as something other than just a body, nice clothes etc). But most women i know look nice and smartly dressed, but not necessarily plain and boring.

You are supposed to try and attract your husband, so the aim is not the wear a full face of makeup out but not to at home, more the reverse, you don't need to impress anyone when you are out, but you want to impress your husband. I wear a small amount of makeup out, for myself mainly, but if going out with DH for a special occasion i will wear the amount of makeup that he likes (he isn't into a lot of makeup).

Thanks for explaining Yael I didn't mean plain = boring... more like you said, no bright patterns. I often think plain colours are more stylish anyhow. I wear mainly plain fabrics (plain white, plain navy, plain taupe) because I don't often feel comfortable in bright clothing. Actually the brightest thing in my wardrobe is the red top I wore to the BB Business of Being Born night! LOL So now I'm sounding like a liar! LOL

Cool Breeze Guest

Hello there everyone...

I'm new around here... but i'd also like to contribute a lil. in this topic ....

though Daclostar has already done a wonderful job in explaining the requirements of Hijaab ..
    I truely agree to her, that Hijaab is not just a piece of Clothing, but it's an Attitude...
    Hijaab is not just of your hair, but also of your eyes, tongue, and ears ... which means to prevent onself from seeing, hearing or saying anything which is not appropriate or which may AROUSE any excitements or feelings in the opposite Sex.

Just as the concept of Hijaab is in Islam ; to honor the Women and prevent them from Being Molested or Harrassed.

Well Dear Dachlostar... I have got a different view or you may say experience regarding observing Hijaab in the West, that I find it equally Safe and a protection for me even here in the West, By Grace of Allah Almighty.

It might not be a Norm here, but people Do respect you. As for those who do not give you the respect and see you as an inferior... You'll find such people EVERYWHERE, even in some Islamic countries ! People who look down upon you whether for your race, color or religion. But I blv. that their ratio is far smaller than those who honor you.

Hi,

I wear the full hijab which is called a khimar that comes to my knees an i wear a abaya which is the islamic dress,I personally dont feel like a grandmother when i were it and i dont know any muslim women who does.
    I agree that in the west i have gotten alot of kind comments and to be honest i have been wearing the hijab for 10yrs and i have probably gotten one bad comment.
    I also choose to sometimes wear the face covering called the niqab and eveybody is very nice and i have had a guy tell me at the hospital once that its so nice to see a women that covers herself like you do and keeps her body to herself.
    So thankfully no bad experinces here

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H View Post
    I saw a Muslim lady in the shops today & she had her hijab on (is that right? her head scarf?) but also had her full arms & legs covered. I was thinking that this lady must've been so hot as it's pretty close to 30deg here today. Which made me wonder, is it part of a Muslim woman's clothing requirements to have their full body covered when they are out & about?
    hi just wanna add my 10 cents worth

As a convert to Islam, i find that i feel cooler in the Aussie hot weather covering up as opposed to before my singlet days. I found the answer all in the type of fabric one wears, and i wear this loose, light cotton fabric (non see thru), which is very breathable and keeps me cooler when out and about. I think that it stops sun rays from penetrating my skin. My doctor also mentioned i am at a low risk of skin cancer which is a bonus as being fair skinned was worried about it. I also get my vitamin D daily supply when doing regualur stuff around the house like gardening, putting out clothes or just walking in the garden...no probs but as the other posters mentioned already the spiritual and religous reasons of covering, i wont go into it.
    Last edited by elixa; February 25th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12