Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you convert/revert to Islam, or were you born into it?

Default Did you convert/revert to Islam, or were you born into it?

Just wondering how many of the lovely Islamic ladies here converted to Islam or did you grow up in Islamic families? If you converted, what was that process like? I have really enjoyed reading the different discussions here.

Hi Beanie

I was muslim from birth and born into a islamic family,although i didnt really start practicing my faith until i turned 15

Default i converted!

well i know this is a really old post but thought to add that i converted to Islam when i was around 21 years old, and i know about 50 others around Perth that also have, both males n females.

Well am one very happy women

oh as for the process, very simple, can be done in private with just one or two witnesses (such as a friend), or even if u dont want any witness its ok. There is no public ceremony or complications, just you express two statements and thats it, as its between you and God. My personal experience is detailed in my blog: A Journey to Peace

Hi Elixa,
    I was born into a christian (but not very devout) family. I wasn't really very comfortable with some aspects of Christianity so when I was about 7 I declred myself an agnostic and refused to attend church anymore. I pretty much stuck with that position until my late 20's when I met a Muslim man. To start with I wasn't very interested in his faith but I figured it would be polite to learn a bit about it while I ogled him him. Once I began to understand it a bit more I realised how much it gelled with the beliefs I already had so it was a natural progression to convert a few months later.

Hi,

I have been born into islam. But i must express my feelings towards those that have converted... I congratulate you as it must be tough to convert to another religion. Just wondering how your families took to it? Because if i told my parents i wanted to become a Buddhist or a Christian they would disown me.

Just wanted to congratulate you and welcome to Islam

We don't disown people in my family. I could be a serial killing, psycho and they'd still love me (although I would have to put up with endless lectures about how wrong it is to kill people and stupid jokes about hiding the knives).
    My family are Christains but they're pretty tolerant and they understand that it's all the same God. from their point of view a Muslim is better than an athiest although they would be ok with that too - like I said however much they disapprove of my choices they would never disown me.

salaam dachlostar

I'm glad your family is ok with your reversion. My mother wont accept mine till this day and its been many many years now. I can relate to your experience, i also was never comfortable with my former faith and meeting a practicing moderate Muslim man i became interested in made me comfortable to ask millions of questions and finally getting some straight answers on Islam and then getting a copy of Quran in English translation. Most of my friends parents have been ok with their reversion but a few been very unhappy, espcially those of European backgrounds where being Christain for them is important not just in terms of religon but tradition. My mother always is upset as she says it is a tradition for us to be a Polish Catholic and i am the first one in the family to break away from that, which she cant take nor accept, even if it has made me a very good person as opposed to what i was before. Well although i just gotta keep trying to be patient and show her i am happy, i have truthfully given up on her ever accepting me as a Muslim.

Butterflykisses Guest

I converted a few months before we got married. Islam seems to make more sence to me than other religions. My family havent actually asked outright but they know that we all dont eat pork etc(inc my 2 chn frm my 1st marriage) I wear a headjab and abaya when im overseas but i like to blend here so wear long shirts with long pants/skirts here.
    Butterflykisses

Alhamdulillah, I was born a Muslim and decided to be a Muslim. Remember, everyone is born a Muslim, its them that choose to stay or not.

sasu Guest

Default salam

salam alaikum

ive been a revert to islam for almost 4 yrs alhamdulillah..my first baby was born in july

W/Salaam,
    Manshallah Sasu. I love hearing from converts. Are you able to share yours with us?

Your story, that is.

sasu Guest

hi
    i dont have much of a story..just i had an instinct to be muslim and i went with that.
    hope your well inshaa allah
    take care
    susanna

Salams sisters

MashaAllah, it's great to hear everyone's experiences. I am a revert Muslima. My story is similar to Dachlostar's. I've been a Muslim for 13 years now, Alhamdulillah. I am very satisfied and happy (lucky to have a good practicing hubby).

Elixa: Sorry to hear about your parents not being too happy about it all. Do you have children yet? My parents were not very accepting, but once I had my DS (their first grandson) they relaxed a lot. I think as long as there are no insults flying in either direction, then I can tolerate it. It usually takes a life-changing event for people to re-think their relationships with others.

Lovely to meet you all.

Salaam
    yes i have a 3 year old daughter. Its been interesting...like she does prayers etc in front of mum and sometimes finds my scarf and puts it
    I'm really happy i embraced Islam, am very happy, espcially sprirtually

Default hmmm

Asalam every1.
    My name is Shaad, converted to islam since 5 years. I really appreciated all the facets of Islamic faith. The only problem I am facing is that there is no Islamic matrimonial agency in Perth where I can find an Islamic girl (preferably converted / reverted just like me)... Do any1 of you know such an institution in Perth?

Just a reminder to all that posting email addresses is not recommended on BellyBelly for privacy reasons.

Please take any personal requests off-line. If you do not have enough posts to send a PM to another member, please ask an administrator or moderator to assist.
    Last edited by Jennifer13; June 24th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Default considering embracing Islam

Hi everyone

Thanks for your threads. It is helping me to feel connected in this troublesome time in my life. I am considering embracing Islam but it feels scary and weird. I just want to know how did you know it was right for you?

Lisa from Melbourne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast