Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any uni student/mothers out there?????

I studied externally for my teaching degree when pg with DS and finished when he was 2 1/2. Just about to start my masters this year and can't wait. My only suggestions would be to set yourself a routine at home so that you have study time, family time, housework time and stick to it. Also stay on top of assignments so you don't have a huge stress on at the last minute. check out the flexible delivery modes sometimes they offer courses in block mode (do th whole course in a week - absolutely worth it!) And don't take on too much at once. Are you studying on campus or externally?

carrie189 Guest

this thread's been really helpful. i'm 18 in my first year uni currently doing 3 subjects (the full-time load is 4) and i'm waiting to see if i'm pregnant (have had ALL the symptoms etc) and one of my biggest concerns is how to juggle uni and a baby! i worry that if i was to put my baby into childcare while i'm at uni (longest day is 10 til 3, all others are 3 hours or less in the afternoon) that it would affect the mother-child bond that's formed and stregthened within the first year. could it affect the baby in a bad way? what have other people found?

Im straight back into my second year Social work full time. Im loving it..and really felt like I needed it after having the past two years of doing nothing particularly with my brain lol. I love getting on campus and mixing with different people. I am defintately not disciplined enough to study externally..ive tried it before. Its hard when you have newborns. I can remember going back to uni when my babies were 3 months old it was really hard..for me it didnt work out at all but thats just me. I think its important to be quite organized and not leave things to the last minute..and I guess if you are passionate and enthusiastic about what you are studying it makes all the difference too. I was doing my bachelor of nursing before and going into second year it just wasnt the right fit.

Jo

This thread has helped a lot.
    I am wondering when to have a baby at the moment and I just can't decide. This is my final year of uni (Masters). These are my 2 options I'm thinking about:

1. Start trying now. Be pregnant for the last half of the year (if all goes to plan) and have the baby early next year. So when I finish Uni don't work straight away, wait until baby is a little bit older.

2. Get pregnant later in the year, then will be able to work for 6 or so months before baby is due. But, then have to quit job and get another one when baby is older.

Any one have any suggesstions? Will it look bad on my resume if I don't work straight after uni? Doing psychology. Will they think I'm out of practice later when I apply for a job?

What's it like being pregnant and working (pracs)/doing uni (+ thesis). Will that be hard? Worried about the morning sickness thing and if that will affect me a lot.

Really can't decide. Very confused at the moment. lol. Any suggestions would be great.

Not sure if I should have written this here now, longer than I thought it was going to me. I guess no one has written anything for a while here so hope it's ok

Anyone?

I guess it could work either way for you. From the perspective of having to stop/start/stop/start when I had my babies, I would probably want to finish first, then you have that under your belt for ever. Ive never been a daycare person, so have never left my babies unless its with trusted family/friends..but if you have some care available for you when you study it might work. I have always been less motivated to study while I have babies to look after..life seems so much more interesting! Goodluck with whatever you decide, as no doubt it will be the right choice for you.

Jo

Oh I will have finished uni at the end of this year. So that won't be a problem. But with the work thing it might. I don't really need to work for the money. Just worried about how it may look on my resume later like which way would look best iykwim?

Thankyou for the reply!

Hi SaraJane,
    I was pregnany while doing my honours year and struggled during the morning sickness part. Once that past (for me 12 weeks) it was all good. I would try and have your baby straight after uni. Perhaps once your bub has hit 2-3 months you could do some volunteer work one day or week or something so that is on your resume and you are keeping in practice.

Thanks krysalyss, that's a really good idea about the volunteer work.
    I am really excited about having a baby now so I prob won't be able to put it off for much longer anyway!! lol.
    So is the morning sickness and tiredness that bad? I mean, even tho it's full time uni it's not really full time iykwim, so I think it will be ok. But really good to hear from someone who was in the same situation!! Thanks so much.

Hi Sara, hope this response isn't too late for you!
    I would be inclined to try to finish uni before bubs is born, but not to bother start working, especially if you will be pg at the time. I don't think not working straight after uni will look bad on your resume... you can just be honest and say you had a baby. I don't see why it should affect it too much at all? I like the idea of volunteer work too... and thats something that would look really good on your resume

WRT uni and pregnancy, it can be done, but it may be hard, depending on how your body copes with the pregnancy. I just went on my first clinical practice when I was 5.5 - 7.5wks pregnant, and m/s hit me smack on day one. I found it incredibly hard to cope and had to take 2 days off, in which I went to the Dr and was given a script for Maxalon, which kept the nausea at bay and helped me get through the rest of prac. I will now be doing 3 subjects for the next semester, including another prac subject when I am 6 months pregnant... so will have to pray that all goes well!
    Wishing you all the best with your decision hun, and with TTC!

Thanks Ambah. Yep, we've decided to start TTC now, looks like it will fit in well if all goes to plan
    I will finish uni before the baby is born and then have a bit of time off until it comes then go back to work after it's a bit older.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, glad to know it can be done while at uni!!

Hey, I have 2 kids, a 10 month old and a 2 yr old. Im studying full time at the moment, and hubby will also be studying full time next year. I have them in daycare 2 days a week and i try to do all my study then and when they are asleep at night. (im studying externally)

Hi, just bumping up an old thread. Is anyone starting uni this year?

rallybbek Guest

yep, back at uni again in feb, ugh.

Hi Rebecca.
    What do you study? I'm assuming you're second year? And where do you go?
    This is going to be my first on campus studying since I had my son, so I'm pretty nervous about my dedication to it (or should I say lack thereof).
    I'm hoping I'll put in the time for it.
    I'm worried about the course I got into though.. There's quite a few harder subjects (chemistry and anatomy and whatnot) and I don't want to have to focus all of my energy and time on my course rather than my son.
    How did you manage all that?

i wanted to study this year...i still can be im a bit lazy when it coems to the studying bit i must say and tend to leave it till the very last minute lol...also i dont wanna put my mum out by asking her to babysite if i do....so shall see,,,but id love to do it.

Hey Jessica,
    I definately think if you want to go to uni, then do it! Even study part time if it's easier. In years to come, you'll probably find your life will be a lot easier with a uni degree under your belt. Also, I'm using uni as a way to get out a bit more and be more social. I'm lucky as my mum is desperate to watch Ruben as often as she can.
    What were you thinking of studying? A lot of courses can also be done externally so you wouldn't have to worry about getting someone to look after Ashley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12