Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Young that means I'm stupid!

Default I'm Young that means I'm stupid!

I had started a rant in the punching bag room and it's turned into a "younger" thread, heres the link for those wanting to catch up:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=55796

Basically started off with a comment on baby's surnames made by my Grandma. I am sick of "well meaning" relatives putting the 2 cents in, just because I am 21 doesn't make me stupid and unable to make my own decisions!!

You went thru alot with Brendan...so for a young mum you sure make me proud

Chin up..ur a fanstatic mum and dont let know ones comments take over ur life

Thanks Kim, for the positive words

I agree with Kim, you've done so well with Brendan. I guess we just have to learn to ignore peoples thoughtless comments and opinions and know that we are doing a great job with our bubs. Age makes no difference.

mummycate Guest

You've been through so much and have made sure to not burn bridges, and have kept windows open. I admire your honesty, and courage.

I hate it when I get the incredulous looks when I mention I have a daughter. So what if I'm young, its not like its not possible.

Oh yes, I know what you mean... as for my ruddy cousin telling me "mums know best" "yes, I DO." "No, I meant our mums." Shut up! Sorry. But why do people assume that because we don't have grey hair, wrinkles and are about to hit the menopause we must not know what we're doing with babies? Sally, you are such a fantastic mum, I reckon your Gran is just jealous because you're doing better than she could have done in your situation.

Thank you so much

I told her last night that i was sick of the comments and that she has had her turn and now it's mine!! I AM going to do what I feel is best for MY child!

I turn 21 this month.. and I am 5w5d pregnant with my 1st bub. I am also worried about what sort of comments will come once i tell everyone. Although I know i will be a great mum and this bub was planned.. everyone is going to think it wasnt and that im "stupid" for getting pregnant this early wen i have "my whole life ahead of me"...

Thing is... This is what i want. i want to be a mum! Ive never been a big career person. and this is what i want!

my DP and I are planning our engagement as well.. Nothing could make my life better at the moment! im living my dream!

xox love b

Congratulations on your pregnancy Banx!! You might be interested in joining our young couples chatter.... it's in the younger couples area up the top

Take Care

Hi Sally,

It doesnt matter about age, it matters about maturity, which u have more of than your grandma, considering you know what is acceptable to say and what needs to be kept quiet about. have you ever heard the saying 'growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional'? hun, u have done more growing up than some older mums and if they don't like it then boo to them.

Thanks Ali. I agree with you.

Banx, here is a link to the younger couples thread: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...10#post1084717

mummycate Guest

Hiya Bianca!

Well what I'd say to those that tell me I'm stupid for having kids young, then I'll say, at least I'm not spending my life savings on IVF waiting too late and also, I'm young enough to chase after the buggers! Imagine having your first at 39, by the time they're 18 you'll be 57! And if your child waits until 39 to have children, you'll be 78! On the way to the grave and just becoming a grandmother. Our bodies are meant to have children young, that's why we have menarche young (although not meant to have children before our bodies have developed fully into adulthood).

kirsty_lee Guest

Brendansmum! Don't even worry about other people's opinions when it comes to being a good mother etc when your "young". As they say age is a state of mind. Im 21 with my first, and i've had a few people tell me that im too young to be a mum and they also put their two cents worth in in regards of how to raise a baby etc but at the end of the day it's my child, my family, my body etc and I will make the decisions. No one should make you feel like your 'inferior' or 'unwise' just because of your age. People stopped carrying on like that with me because when they got to know me properly they saw how mature i was for my age. Don't let them take the excitement of childbirth and pregnancy away from you!!!

Hey Kristy_lee, come and join in on the younger couples chat thread in issues for younger couples

Quote Originally Posted by kirsty_lee View Post
    ...they also put their two cents worth in in regards of how to raise a baby etc but at the end of the day it's my child, my family, my body etc and I will make the decisions.
    Let them have their 2cents worth. They can say all they want... at the end of the day, it's you that puts things into practice! I'm 24 and had everyones suggestions start when I was pg. (like my sister, who rang me at 5wk pg to talk about whether I was using cloth or disposable!)

Gather any and all information you can on whats concerning you and you can make an informed decision, so if anyone objects you have backup.

Good luck ! HTH

The things I get annoyed with is when people make comments about why my 10.5 month is still needing to be burped and why my 10.5 month old isn't on proper solids (still on puree but we are getting there) I hate having to explain that because he was prem he's had troubles with eating and he still has reflux and also that he really is only an 8 month old. They make it sound like i'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing. I have had to learn so much more about my child and certain things I need to look out for, things that "normal" mothers just don't understand and thats why I get these comments. They aren't coming from just the older generation they are also coming from woman younger than me!

My point being that age is not the only factor.... If people don't understand something and something is not "normal" then they make thoughless comments without realising what they are saying sounds so stupid!

the older generation need to realise that the times have changed... 20 years ago you only had an U/S if something felt wrong to the dr or if you were over-due, ect.... not these routine checks we get. Also back then they could eat whatever they wanted, now drs are telling us we cant eat this and cant eat that.... So many things have changed and it's not fair that these things get passed down as being "because of our age"
    Last edited by Early Kids; January 13th, 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Isn't it frustrating, people who think they know better... and it can be really upsetting... as soon as I started telling people I was pregnant, they all started with the "oh I hope you're breastfeeding" and "I hope you're getting rid of your animals" etc. etc... I really just wanted to tell people to f*** off to be honest! Everyone thinks they have the right to their say in your pregnancy and they plain and simply don't!!

I must say, even though this pregnancy wasn't planned, that I'm glad that I'm having it now while I can do it naturally than waiting until it's way too late and poses a greater risk to both myself and the baby...

The only person I have been listening to with this pregnancy is my sister in law, she's 22, a year older than me, and she's just had her second child. She has been wonderful to listen to as she has been through all the nagging and carrying on, and tells me what she did through personal experience...

Hugs to you all who are getting hassled because people think you're ruining your lives... how horrible for people to think that bringing a beautiful little being into the world is wrong... doesn't matter what age you are having kids, all children and little miracles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast