thread: I'm Young that means I'm stupid!

Follow Early Kids On Twitter

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

Well said Emma!
    Congrats on you pregnancy

mummycate Guest

Congrats Emma. Use your strength to rid yourself of bad advice and comments. The strength comes from nowhere and is powerful, believe me.

Dec 2007
    Perth

Thanks can you tell that I was hormonal yesterday or what!! Lol

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

Thats ok You are allowed to be!! hehe

jesidy Guest

OMG!! I just read this thread and honestly, it sounds like me writing!!

Im 21 and have a 9 1/2 wk old girl.. She is my absolute everything and although her father helps out, he just isnt there for her like I am.. Yet HE knows whats best for her! The guy cant even get her to sleep!

When my mum found out I was pregnant and had decided not to get married yet she said "Good.. Dont get married. Not to Jnr" ??? WTF?! I went off my head at this.. then came the comment "Dont get his name on the birth certificate"!!! This is absolutely ridiculous! Everyone acts like I just met the guy and just fell pregnant! We've been together going on 3 years!?!

But MIL is the killer! They live in Sydney and decided to come visit DD for the first time at 8wks. As soon as she gets here "You're wrapping her wrong, she doesnt like that" - AHEM like you'd know!

When it comes down to it, yeah is p***es me off having people treat me like im 12, but I know it p***es them off more having given me advice, I have CLEARLY not taken it, and DD settles.. Its great! I think its fun watching someone who "knows best" not cope with a screaming baby who really just wants her mum!! LOL

Congrats on the pregnancies as well girls.. Just keep ya head up. I think no matter what age you are you'll get people putting their 2 cents in and trying to tell you what to do, but just turn and say (as my sister says) "I appreciate your advice, but i'll decide whats best for my baby". She still gets MIL telling her what to do and she's 27!! But THAT woman seriously has NO idea!! She let my sisters 16mo get blistering burnt.. yes, peeled and all - THAT has got to be safe!!! Good luck with it all girls!!
    Last edited by jesidy; January 24th, 2008 at 06:33 AM.

Dec 2007
    Ballarat, VIC

Yeah thats what I cant wait for... People TELLING me how to look after my baby..

Cant say thats going to be the most exciting or happy bit of my next year.... especially a newborn at a family xmas this year... Will be interesting

Although its only early days... Mum is already telling me what names to pick and which ones she hates...

It is cute that dad wants a grandson and mum wants a grandaughter and they argue about it alot... I just want a healthy baby..I dont care what sex it is... and I KNOW that I will care for my baby as best I can and give him/her a wonderful life...

YES even if im ONLY 21! and DP and I arnt married.. SO WHAT?!?!?!?!

Lol.. Ventings great isnt it???

Sorry if i said anything offensive to anyone

xoxo love b

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

Hey there jesidy! Congratulations on a beautiful Daughter! Good on you for standing up for yourself too!

If you haven't already found us, please feel free to join us in the younger couples general chatter!

Jan 2008
    SE suburbs, Vic

Its started already for me and the best part is saying to people "If I wanted your opion I would have asked" I know its rude but it makes them stop.
    The worse was DFs cousin she's 28 and never had a partner let alone kids and she's told us the names we have picked are stupid and the boys names sound like names you'd call a dog. GRRR!!! She makes me so angry!

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

How rude! I can't believe how rude some people are!
    HUGS darl, you will pick the right name for you child

Dec 2007
    Ballarat, VIC

yeah thats what its like with mum and dad at the moment. they are the only people we have really told.. so we dont get anything positive from anyone else.. cept u guys on here!

its always.. thats a silly name, dont call my grandchild that..

what the??!?!? we thought this was our baby

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Age has nothing to do with it Brendans mum! just cos people are 30 doesnt neccesarily mean they will be a better mum than a 20 year old. Infact, that just shows primitive thinking.
    Dont worry bout your grandmas comments - its just her thoughts and she is entitled to them (even if she should just keep em to herself )

Jan 2008
    SE suburbs, Vic

Sally - do you know when she had her kids? what age?
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; January 24th, 2008 at 10:21 AM. : more info

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

my mum was born when my grandma was 17. I was born when my mum was 23. I was 20 when brendan was born.

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

I agree catrionalee! It wouldn't bother me coming from anyone else, my grandma is very "over powering" when it comes to sharing opinions.

Jan 2008
    SE suburbs, Vic

what about MIL when she had XP/DP? Or his brothers or sisters?

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

You know Sally, when i get to that age ill be the same - ill say what i want when i damn well please!!!
    But she should try not to hurt you at least!
    And f you didnt put his name on the certificate the lil one wold probably grow up resenting you..... whos respect do you want more? Personally, it would be my bubba

Oct 2007
    Eastern Wheatbelt WA

Sal, MIL was 18 when DP was born her mum would have been about 20ish. Everyone has had babies young, and my grandma doesn't have a problem with my age, she just treats me like i'm stupid! Tells me how to look after brendan ect. anyway's Brendan is happy and i am happy and thats all that matters

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

You're right, that is all that matters.

I'm 23, finished uni, moved to Oz and a few weeks later was pregnant. That last bit kind of shot my career search all to he1l. I never really thought I'd find myself in this position, none of my friends (except the one who got knocked up in highschool) have kids or even long-term relationships, they're still blithely enjoying late adolescence. So it feels pretty weird sometimes, not that I'd give up my life here for anything.

I guess I've lucked out with family, mine is pretty supportive. My dad told me just before the wedding that he was happy about the baby and I almost cried. My in-laws here are great, they've been really careful not to tell us how to run our lives. No one tells me what to do or sticks their noses in. Though, to be honest, sometimes I wish they would a little.

I know its hard to hear all kinds of off-base (or seemingly so) things from other, older people. Especially the ones who have had kids at an early age, I think its almost like they're trying to help you out with things they've learned or decided for themselves- stuff they perhaps wish someone had told them. Just because they're giving you unsolicited advice doesn't necessarily mean they think you're too young/ an idiot, and it might not help to get your back up about it.

One of the pieces of advice I have gotten from my MIL was that I have to do what I know is right for my baby, when it is right, and not worry about it if other people tell me I'm doing it all wrong. And even though I'm not a mum to a screaming newborn (yet), that's how I've done things thus far.