Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On the marriage subject....

Hhhmmmm, sounds like regardles of our marital status, the quizzical eyes are continually casting across us! Weird isn't it, if you're married young but without children the eyebrows are raised and the questions are fired and and you're not married, but have children you have the same thing. It's just never-ending.
    Most of my utility bills come Miss Jayne Shirra and it gives me the willies because when you ring up to change something on your account etc... they think they've got the wrong person because you say Mrs not Miss whereas it was their own assumption to put Miss and not ask about being a Mrs!!! grrrr!! LOL.
    Michelle - Quite glad you chose not to go with the hyphen on your surname. You know I'm related to the Cox's all over Sydney & Perth?
    Naomi - Wow!! You kinda struck gold there! You can be Mrs or Miss whenever it suits you! LOL.
    I remember when I was in the hospital (I was induced and stayed the night before the induction), in the morning the midwife asked who would be in the birthing suite with me and when I said my husband she became a tongue-tied mess, she didn't know what to say!
    I just find it funny that no matter what your circumstances you get opinions from everybody including the checkout operator at the supermarket! LOL.

Jayne

I got married 9 years ago!!! I had just turned 22 and hubby was 33. I got the same thing, don't you think you are too young, oh you are soooo silly you need to play the field before you settle down!!!! Well I am a strong willed girl and take no rubbish from no one, I just said to them first of all i am one of the few girls who have decided to stay a virgin till i got married, i had a tonne of boyfriends but i knew they weren't the ones, but when i met dear hubby at a wedding i knew instantly he was the one! And he respected my wishes to remain a virgin until wedding night( it was darn hard!!) So when i told people that they were just dumbfounded!!!! They used to say what a waste, your so attractive why waste it on one man, i was sooo offended by such comments, to each their own, i don't push my views on others and they shouldn't push their views on me, i think we should all be respected for our decisions! It didn't help that i looked alot younger than my 22 years, and i still get asked for ID!!! - Ithinkm it's beautiful getting married young, i have to say i have had a fantastic 9 years !!!!!

btw the boys are Podger-Devine, not Devine-Podger... and Alex insists on the whole name, he won't call himself just "Podger"!

Sal Guest

Ah Div "Podger-Devine" sounds much better!

Oooooo Jayne - you might be related!!!! I come from a HUGE family so there is a chance. I wouldn't complain!!

kahmanya, OMG, I so know what you are talking about! I waited till i got married too, and boy, ppl just couldn't seem to understand why. I actually had a few ppl i worked with till me it wouldn't last because of it. I can't stand it when ppl carry on like that.
    I was 20 and DH was 24, we fell pregnant on our honeymoon. I don't really get much said to me anymore about being young, instead i'm always hearing crap like, "can't you keep your legs shut" because my girls are 12 months apart. Thats really annoying, as we had planned it that way too.
    Ppl just need to learn to keep their mouths shut!

Thats great Mel !!! People can make you feel abnormal!!!! I think whatever suits you doesn 't suit everyone, especially your decision to have kids so close.
    Take care LOL Roslyn

P.S It think it was inevitable for you to fall pregnant on your honeymoon , if you catch my drift!!!! Our boys had to make up for lost time!!!!

Mihn Guest

I'm 23 and DF is 46 so we get all sorts of interesting comments on that front too. We're getting married in October (so exciting!) and we've only been together 14 months (been together 6 when we decided to get engaged) so everyone was so surprised and asking if I was sure I wanted to get married. IT WAS MY IDEA, PEOPLE!

When you know, you just know. We're also ttc, number 1 for both of us, although DF has been married before, so it's all very exciting.

I remember when I announced my engagement to my mum, it took her a full five minutes of negative comments before she actually got around to congratulating us *rolls eyes*

It's nice to see that we do actually know what we're doing, right ladies?

I feel like i must look really old now LOL! As this has NEVER ever happened to me!!!! What does that mean LOL!? I was 21 when I had Paris and 21 when I got married. Maybe I looked too scary back then and maybe I look too old now LOL!

But yes it would infuriate me too...

*hugs*
    Cailin

DH and i got married when i was 20, and he was 22. i was nearly 5 months pregnant on our wedding day (our wedding was 6 months after our first date!) I also had a child from a previous relationship, i had him just after my 19th birthday. Im now 22, and just had my 3rd child, and i still want a couple more kids!! People tell me im an idiot, i could be out there enjoying life. Doig what?? Getting ****ed and taking drugs like the majority of single people my age? That doesnt sound like fun to me. I love being at home with my family, cooking and cleaning. I get more of a buzz when my kids tell me they love me, and feeling my husbands arms around me than i ever would going out clubbing all night and getting off my face. Sorry to have my little rant, this subject really gets on my nerves, being a single mum so young i was really looked down upon, even by people i thought were friends (I had a "friend" call human services and tell them i was getting drunk and breastfeeding my child. HUH?? i was half a glass of wine with dinner one night... shows you even friends can be d!ckhead$...) I'll get off my soapbox now...

IKWYM. I am 33 and look very young and get the same reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
    I still have people write to me as "Miss XXX" after having met me, using my married name, which really annoys me. I have a huge diamond engagement ring and large wedding band I wear all the time, trust me, it's easy to see that I'm married.
    Here, here!! DH and I got married at 21 - I used to be a school teacher... everyone knew I was a 'Mrs', yet I was always a 'Miss' to them - even the staff called me that when they were talking to students!

I married XDH when I was 19, had Joshua when I was 21 and OMG to this day I still remember the comments and looks. The question was always...Ms, Miss or Mrs? Even now when people find out I have a 13 year old son...their like...you do not, you don't look old enough!! What am I supposed to look like an old scrag or something???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12