Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IVM - In Vitro Maturation

Positive, I am on the other side of the country, but I do have a bad history with OHSS. Three stim cycles and all three times I got it - the first two were bad. The third time we managed to keep it under control so that I only got a mild case when the embryo implanted. There are things you can do - diet becomes particularly important as well as very close monitoring from your clinic. IVM is certainly a better option but I can understand your apprehension. I can also let you know that IVF is also not impossible... it's tricky, but not impossible.

BW

OHSS can be avoided with IVF, or at least well looked after, if you have the right protocol, eat the right diet, and like bw said, get monitored very closely. BW is a great case in point!

There are more than 400 babies born from IVM now, and definitely some in Australia. I think FSWA is still the only one on Perth doing IVM but I could be wrong.

Let us know how you go with your appointment

Does anyone know if they use IVM to mature eggs that are retreived as part of a standard IVF cycle but aren't mature yet?

I had 4 eggs retrieved and only 2 fertilized, when I asked why I was told that 2 were immature. I'm now wondering if there's a way for them to grow them via IVM so that they don't get tossed out (eggs are a rare commodity for me, I'm a low responder).

They can definitely do that, if the clinic has the technology. My last IVF cycle, they used IVM on the immature eggs they retrieved, and got one blastocyst from the three immature eggs. I would speak to your clinic about whether they have the ability to do that for you.

I'd be very curious to know too buliej.

Posted at the same time BecD, that's very encouraging thanks. I'm a low responder myself so it's something that I'd be very interested in.

Wow - I will definitely ask now.

Your a gem buliej, let me know how you get on.

Hi ladies. I have never posted here before... I was just doing some google searches for IVM info when I found this thread. I have just recently started my first IVM cycle at FSWA. According to Dr. Junk, FSWA is still the only clinic in Australia offering the IVM treatment. He also told us that their success rates are now equally as good with IVM as with IVF at their clinic, which is promising.

This procedure was the ideal choice for my husband and I since I have PCOS, and we have already had two cancelled IVF cycles at Concept due to overstimulation. My estrogen was 53,000 the first cycle (very scary) and 26,000 the second (not much better). I will be having my third injection of puregon tonight, then back to FSWA for another blood test and u/s tomorrow. Hopefully things will be looking good.

It was good to get an insight into someone else's experience with this, Bec. Thanks for sharing!

Rhianna
    Last edited by rhimb; July 29th, 2009 at 01:57 PM.

Hi Rhianna - I hope it goes well for you! Steve is a great embryologist and really looks after the IVM patients. Im cycling at the moment so I might bump into you at the clinic!

Steve has definitely been wonderful. I have no complaints about any of the staff at FSWA so far.

We ended up with 2 embryos reaching blastocyst, which we are extremely pleased with. We had transfer today, and one is on ice. Fingers crossed the first one sticks!

Best of luck to you, Bec!

Rhianna

That's really fantastic Rhianna - you will have to keep us updated on how you go Will keep absolutely everything crossed for you xxx

Default negative IVM results

Hiya ladies

Today i had my blood test for an IVM treatment ( 5 eggs retrieved, 2 matured, of the 2 only 1 blastocyst, nothing to freeze) and unfortunately it was a BFN. Have any of you startd your IVM treatment yet? I wish you all the best of luck

Im going to try ivf next, should be starting end of this month. Still concerned with OHSS, if they do have to cancel the cycle are they able to retrive the eggs and freeze?? I still have a few questions will defintley have them all ready at the next appointment.

*sigh*

Meo Guest

It really depends on what stage the cycle is at when it's cancelled. If you get to EPU and then get OHSS, they usually won't transfer (as this can increase the risks to the mother if there's implantation and a pregnancy resulting). If you're looking "overstimulated" before they get you to EPU, then they may cancel the cycle early and not collect the eggs either.

Good luck!

positive - Im sorry you got a bfn. Have you met with doreen to discuss whats happening next? ivf sounds like a good option, but ohss is definitely a concern. I would just make sure they monitor you closely. Unfortunately I didnt have any signs of ohss until after my egg collection so they just cancelled my transfer. Most of the time they will do a freeze all, as the hcg pregnancy hormone makes ohss worse.

thanks for the info Meo, ive been searching to see what EPU stands for ehehehhe

BecD:I spoke to one of the nurses today, Hillary, she asked me where i wanted to go from here, ive deciced IVF only because more eggs are collected compared to IVM. What are u planning to do next? If IVF maybe we will start at the same time

Im probably going to do one last round of ivf november/december - just making sure the timing is right and giving my body a bit of a break right now. We might cross paths at the clinic on day

Hillary is really good, I wasnt too sure about her at first but she is really thorough and very professional.

Best of luck come december! i will let u know when im next in the clinic

Yes! i felt the same about Hillary too, i think shes a lot friendlier in person then over the phone.

im also doing accupunture in tuart hill, east meets west. Hopefully it will help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast