Thread: Help!! Vegan coming for Dinner

morgan78 Guest

Default Help!! Vegan coming for Dinner

I was hoping that people out there might have some good Vegan recipes they can send me as I have a Vegan (male) coming for dinner on Saturday and need ideas.

I know that they dont eat any product that comes from animals so am aware that it means no butter, cheese, cream, yoghurt etc.

Thanks

Tofu & veggie stirfry or curry with noodles (not egg ones) or rice. Easy!

Vegetarian Risotto's are great You can do roast pumpkin, roast mushroom & baby spinach. Massal make vegan stocks (even their animal flavours are vegan). I try to steer clear of tofu & lentils & beans when I cook for our veg friends because if they go out its all thats available so I try and come up with something new that doesn't involve this. Be careful that no products contain gelatin or egg when looking at packaging.

There are heaps of great vegan websites with loads of free recipes so have a scan around the internet. A lot of people wonder what vegans actually eat but once you start looking you realise it is really easy to cook for a vegan. Often you just need to substitute one or two ingredients (eg. for cakes you use soy milk and egg replacer instead or milk and eggs).

Stirfrys, curries, soup with some nice crusty bread, stuffed capsicums, pizza, vietnamese spring rolls, salt and pepper tofu, vegetables with couscous, pasta (but check for egg), salad with roasted sweet potato, pine nuts, olives etc. The list goes on.

Some other ingredients to watch out for that are easy to miss:
    Lactose, oyster sauce, fish sauce, casein, rennet, whey.
    Also be wary of alcohol some are processed with egg and milk (I know - weird hey?!?)

morgan78 Guest

Thanks for the ideas everyone

and Niliac & krysalyss thank you for letting me know about the other products to avoid.

I have a yummo spicy chick pea risotto recipe... yummo!!

I have a gazillion vegan cookbooks but they are all packed atm . One of my fave vegan receipes is Mushroom Stroganoff...mmmmmmm....

I'm not allowed to put websites am I...?? If you google 'veg' & 'web' lol, best vegan receipe site ever.

Good luck - you never know, you might come up with something that ends up being a family favourite!!

morgan78 Guest

Tanya - yes please if you could send me that recipe it sounds yummy

Thanks Queen Mab will google it shortly.

How'd it go Morgan? Everything mentioned here sounds sooo delish! Vegie stuff is usally the first to go at a dinner pary if everyone is given the choice so make sure your friend has enough for seconds if he needs it! (I've missed out many a time)

morgan78 Guest

Actually didn't happen - really shockinging day with the kids - so DP went to their place for beers (thet're next door) but i have promised a raincheck when things are a little more settled
    Thanks for asking tho.