Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Capping Medicare Saftey Net for IVF/ART

just on the safety net stuff, the station i work for ran something else touching on it yesterday, highlighting it through one woman's IVF journey etc...so at least it's getting coverage

tamtim01 Guest

Howdy,

briggsy's girl you are right, My mum didnt tell me exactly how they were conceived but would be what you said and mind you people didnt really speak about anything like that even 30 years ago.

Hope everyone is well, its a lovely day outside wish I was outside than inside working, oh well got to earn a living as they say.

Tam

i only know the timing cos i grew up with the first Aussie IVF kidlet living across the road and she was only about a year younger than the first UK babe (and being that we were same age and i'm not 35 yet... lol)

tamtim01 Guest

Default Response to my letter in the local paper

Howdy Ladies,

I had a response to my letter in the local paper this week. Another local agreed with my comments and also noted that we all now have to have police checks which is riduclous its not like we are going to do anything to our kids for christ sake, we are not going through this effort to abuse our children. Its stupid to me.

Have a nice weekend all. :-)
    Tam

TimTam - don't get me started on the police checks....AGH! When I think about how much we all want these babies and what we do to make sure we have the best chances, it just .

I saw another thread about "which is worse while pregnant - smoking pot or drinking" - the ask-er wasn't the do-er but seeking the facts because a friend of her who is pregnant does both...and this query wasn't posed because the do-er wanted to stop, only because the ask-er was intellectually curious (I can totally understand the curious part - I like answers to everything!). All I could think is - and I have to get a police check and this pregnant lady gets to do shots and smoke pot while pregnant. WTF? this is just outrageous.

If IVF-ers/AC-ers have to have checks, then why not maintain a central database in the hospitals so that any pregnant woman can be checked and if there is an issue, take the baby away???? because that's what they are in effect doing to IVF-ers (requiring a police check before allowing us the ability to "go home" with a baby).

I keep meaning to order that police check because I don't want to be denied cycles when I'm up for the next because I forgot or because they have such a backlog.

tamtim01 Guest

Default Any news on the upcoming budget???

Morning Ladies,
    Any news in the budget??? I cant find anything online so I am hoping that there will be now cuts for for the subsidy for IVF patients. Im really crossing my fingers on this.

Tam

Haven't heard anything but also haven't had time to look for anything either.

Ive just been interviewed for an article in our local paper (The West Australian) about IVF and the impact the changes to IVF funding would have. Should be in the paper in the next day or two.

Hopefully it helps put pressure on the government to scrap the cuts.

Does anyone know what day the budget comes out???

I think the budget comes out next week. I would imagine the decision has been made or is very close to being made. Please send a link to the article when it comes out if you can.

Just found out the budget comes out on Tuesday...
    Will definitely post a copy of the article when it comes out

Girls, I am having a really bad feeling about this - today the paper is full of "Robin Hood Budget" information and saying that there will be cuts to health spending. It could even happen that we're losing the 30% rebate on health insurance (that would definitely be better than losing the Safety Net but I think it may come on top of it).

The paper said they expect negative announcements being leaked before the Budget comes out so that only the good news is left when it actually comes out, so I think we can expect the news very soon.

Sara

DH & I already know we are going to be completely scr*wed by this budget. It makes me so angry - we give, give, give and get very little and now the little that we get is going to be gone. This is why I've signed up to take the citizenship test - I need to be able to vote - complaining is not productive.

But you know - who are you going to be voting for? I don't think we would be better off under any other government. But agree with you, I'll do the same, I'd really like to have my say.

Sara - that's a fair point - but like you said, at least I want a say - I live here, work here, pay taxes, and this is our home ("for good...for now" we say, but I don't think DH will every agree to leave his beloved Oz and I'm happy here too). There's no way of knowing what the other side would have done - they can talk about what they would have done all they want, but really, it's just talk isn't it. It is just such a bummer...I do hope that we all start pushing and pushing our FS and clinics to keep up with global best practices so that when we do pay the full amount out of our own pockets, we get THE best...not what's easiest for them or "good enough" but THE best.

Its just so frustrating though, cutting obstetrician and IVF from the safety net is NOT GOING TO HELP! Do they not understand that people paying for Obstetricians, would otherwise go to the public system, where the government would have to pay anyway? And IVF patients will become more likely to transfer more than one or two embryos because they cant afford subsequent cycles - therefore increasing the chance of multiples, who surprise surprise, are a financial burden on the public system. It's like these people have no brains.

They just handed out a 42 billion dollar "stimulus package", whereas the safety net is only 300 million dollars a year. Is anyone else noticing that these figures dont add up???

Bec - all great points - it makes it seem like it is all about appearances. They don't seem to care about the true impact of these changes - only that on the surface it looks good (to some). Making the healthcare system here more like the State's is such a big mistake - I really hope this isn't the start (I'm American, I know what the State's healthcare system is like - horrendous)

The budget is done and dusted and at the printers as we speak.

So now we just wait. Sara is right - there will most likely be plenty of leaks in the coming days - watch out for Friday afternoon - it is the night that noone watches the news!

It is going to hurt - the question is how much.

On the up-side, it would seem that Mr Turnbull is quite wedded to universal health care and they need the opposition to pass it in the Senate. Just because something is in the budget doesn't mean that it will actually happen.

But I feel that I am going to be screwed no matter what and it is now my patriotic duty to make every effort to minimise the tax I pay - they clearly don't know what to do with it.

I won't be able to catch the news on Friday night...if someone does, can you post an update.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast