Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Capping Medicare Saftey Net for IVF/ART

Wow. What did they say on 9? And by affecting pregnancies - do you mean they won't cover OBs?

[there has been, what i consider, some serious issues with the increases to private OB fees since the introduction of the safety net. in some instances, fees have gone up as much as 700% - this IS something that needs to be looked into and perhaps regulated in a similar fashion as increases to PHI charges....

is the safety net the only reason for such a huge increase? Also, although I understand the issue (they didn't introduce the safety net just to benefit OBs etc), there must be a better solution than eliminating the safety net for these important services or means testing it.

Quote Originally Posted by buliej View Post
    is the safety net the only reason for such a huge increase? Also, although I understand the issue (they didn't introduce the safety net just to benefit OBs etc), there must be a better solution than eliminating the safety net for these important services or means testing it.
    it seems to have coincided with the introduction of the safety net and baby bonus. so as much as i'm not SURE it was related, i have a very strong inkling kwim???

i do agree that removal of the safety net isn't the answer (fees aren't going to drop now) - they need to regulate further increases to make sure they are within reason for increase to costs etc

It seems that they may be dropping the safety net for some services. With the safety net once you reach a certain amount of out of pocket you get back 80% (I think). Which makes a massive difference.

We just had our first child (thru IVF) 3 months ago. Even with the safety net and private health cover it still cost heaps. I had an emergency cs and am still paying for it because the Drs charge so much over the scheduled fee. I didn't even get half .. and of the assistant surgeons bill alone which was $600 - I got back $28.80 .. go figure??? The Anaesthetist was $1595 of which $500 was an after hrs fee - I got back $462.00. We did benefit from the safety net but as you can see we have spent thousands for IVF and my pregnancy (which was a difficult one due to health issues - had a Physician and an Obstetrician - mum was a mess but bubs was fine). I also had to pay my Obs $3000 for part of the pregnancy and the delivery - which he didn't attend anyway and I hope it went to his fill in - let alone the $1300 we also had to pay beforehand for the same thing and then at min. $80.00 per consultation - each visit to my Physician was $95 - I was at one Dr at least every week let alone tests etc. - so you can see how expensive this can be.

Having said all of this we hope to try for number 2 later this year (thru IVF) but I just don't know how we will be able to afford it even with the safety net.

Having bubs is just so precious the Rudd Govt shouldn't mess with us like this!! It was also pointed out to me that it was a pre-election promise that they would not change the safety net. They are talking about bringing in paid Mat leave - I believe that we are the only OECD country not to have it ... so they are going to rob Peter to pay Paul ..... NOT FAIR!! IVF and having babies is not just for those with deep pockets .... its for real people!

Sorry to rave but you get the jist!!

Hi girls,

I was just wondering if anyone else received a letter from their IVF clinic saying that the cost was going UP as of today????

They increased their fees in November! How do they expect us to have babies and increase the "population" when assisted conception costs so much? In this day and age, with job losses, recession etc, its hard enough to get by, let alone paying EXUBERATE fees when infertility cant be helped. Now the safety net is in doubt for us.

Its wrong.

Thanks for listening girls.

Cheers,
    Tania

Hi Girls,

have you seen Front Page of the Daily telegraph todya - they are talking about it, the government is considering to drop the safety net for obstetrics and IVF!

Baby bills up $2000 as Medicare Safety Net cut | The Daily Telegraph

There is also an online poll - vote girls! At the moment it's 50%/50% for/against slashing the safety net for IVF.

The Daily Telegraph | Breaking News from Sydney, NSW and Australia | The Daily Telegraph

Sara

Thanks for the link Sara, I just voted and astonished to see there are 53% voted YES.... Girls, we need to more votes on our side...

This is just awful. They did make a pre-election promise not to increase the safety net. They were so set on keeping their pre-election promise re: the whole workplace thing - why not this - why is this less important? I cannot wait to vote.

and yes - I received a letter from MIVF re: another fee increase.

Thank goodness 'voting online' doesn't count for anything - it's at 56% against us.
    It shows me that there are many many people out there who really truly do not understand fertility/infertility.

tamtim01 Guest

Smile IVF Means Test

Good Afternoon Ladies.

This afternoon I had a response to one of my plea's to one of my many requests that I sent to local government and local media. My local newspaper here in Frankston Victoria 'The Leader' is running my story next week in the paper. The person that rang said I was the first to inform them and that they did not know about this. I said it has been on the radio and on herald sun's website for the past few weeks.

Once my article has been published and if they get positive responses they will be running a full article on it in the coming weeks. I was sooooo excitited that I just had to tell you all.

It sounds like people are listening to our please, i even had a response from Peter Costello's office like some of you as well.

I shall let you know what the outcome is. I still urge people to send emails in to everyone, someone will have to respond and if its one then you know your voice has been heard.

Tammy

I just voted - can't believe there are so many either, insensitive or uneducated people out there. Let's hope the government gets this one right!

tamtim01 Guest

Default Voting Link??

Hi Ladies,

I can not find where Ihave to vote on either of those links, can someone please tell me where it is on the site so i can quickly vote.

Thanks

Tam

When you click on the second link Sara provided, scroll to the right hand side, there is a box, it is not really standing out, took me two go to find...good luck hun, but more voting on our side is desperately needed.....

tamtim01 Guest

I really can not find that poll, the only one I can see is in regards to the railcorp employees.

Sorry to be a pain in the you know what, is it down further? I have to sneak in and vote whilst no-one is at my desk.

Tam

Ah, I think you missed the chance, they must have daily vote, yes, that's now changed to railcorp stuff....pity

tamtim01 Guest

Default bugga

Bugga missed the train so to speak lol.

Has anyone else had any news with their correspondence etc??

Are we signing or filling in a petition to send of, if so who is doing it?

Tam
    Better get back to work now :-(

I got a reply to my E-mail today from my local (Labour) MP Greg Combet. It is fairly neutral really, but I suppose at least I got a reply Lets hope that the Rudd government really is committed to retaining the Safety Net!!

Here it is:

Dear Mrs ,

Thank you for your correspondence concerning rumoured changes to the Medicare Safety Net for IVF funding.

I am aware that a number of rumours are circulating about Budget Day, and, as you can appreciate, the Government is not going to be drawn into speculation on the Budget.

It is important to understand that the Government recognises that, in the current economic climate, many families are under significant pressure.

For that reason, the Rudd Government is committed to retaining the Medicare Safety Net.

Infertility is a common, devastating condition. It causes enormous heartache to those so affected. I understand that treatment is often invasive and is frequently stressful, time consuming and expensive. Thank you for contacting me in relation to this issue, and best wishes for the future with your new child.

Yours sincerely,
    Hon Greg Combet AM MP

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast