Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first IVF cycle what to expect?

sottovoce Guest

Question first IVF cycle what to expect?

Hi Girls

I need your expertise. This is my first IVF cycle.started on the 12th of june with 42 days on the pill!

I had my 10th injection of gonal this morning . started with 5x 450 and 5x600
    and synarel for the last...lost count..weeks!
    I had my second U/S this morning which showed 11 follies not sure the size .. but Dr said they are perfect and ready to go.
    So trigger injection on the 15th... they will call me to set the time...and on the 16th egg collection.
    Is this sound okay ?
    what to expect?
    We also have the option to do 1 or 2 embrios and freeze the rest?
    what to do?

Hi there,

Good luck for your OPU. 11 is a good number of follicles!

Whether you have one or two transferred is up to you. Maybe you would like to wait and see how many fertilised eggs you get first before making your decision.

If you do have two transferred, there is always a chance both will implant resulting in twins. Generally, the clinics give you the information about both options so that you can decide for yourself. It's one of those decisions that is so personal for each couple.

Myself - I was 37 on my first cycle and didn't mind taking the risk of twins as it may have been my only shot at pregnancy. I had two transferred but only one stuck, resulting in my boy.

Best of luck! It's all sounding good so far.

Mel

sottovoce Guest

Thanks Mel,
    I am 43 and this is my first cycle of IVU
    - had 3 IUI...and I am ovulating no problem... so our case is one of the unexpained infertility cases-
    so I don't mind either taking the risk of twins ..i believe this is my ONLY shot at pregnancy @ MY AGE!
    BUT YOU RIGHT ...better wait and see how many fertilised eggs i get first before making your decision!

Every finger is crossed here for a good result for you! Let us know how it goes.

Goodluck Sotto
    I also had the dilemma of one or two - at 39 I got 3 viable embryos from the 11 eggs they harvested on my first IVF, 1 grade 1 and 2 grade 2's. First time around I decided just to put one back, but after that I decided not to muck about and would have happily put three back if they'd let me (they didn't and I didn't have the embies anyway). I've since had another two put back and have two in the freezer. In the meantime we concieved naturally while waiting for the next FET. We are older and I also had unexplained fertility problems.

Fingerscrossed for you. Remember to drink lots of water!

Hi Sotto
    Just echoing what Mel and Kar have said - 11 follies is great at our 'mature' age. I only had 3 on my last cycle.
    Good luck!

Hi Sottovoce
    11 is definatly a great number. I have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow. I hope the trigger doesnt hurt too much. Try and relax as much as posible ( easier said than done!) It is up to you how many you have transfered. Just go with what your heart tells you!
    Sending you much baby dust!

sottovoce Guest

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Melbo
    Every finger is crossed here for a good result for you! Let us know how it goes.
    thanks Mel
    one more question if you don't mind me asking this ; did you had your treatment @ MIVF or Monash?

sottovoce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kar
    Goodluck Sotto
    I also had the dilemma of one or two - at 39 I got 3 viable embryos from the 11 eggs they harvested on my first IVF, 1 grade 1 and 2 grade 2's. First time around I decided just to put one back, but after that I decided not to muck about and would have happily put three back if they'd let me (they didn't and I didn't have the embies anyway). I've since had another two put back and have two in the freezer. In the meantime we concieved naturally while waiting for the next FET. We are older and I also had unexplained fertility problems.

Fingerscrossed for you. Remember to drink lots of water!
    thanks
    what is grade 1 and 2 embrios?
    Congratz for your pregnancy and all the best

sottovoce Guest

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by daisy
    Hi Sottovoce
    11 is definatly a great number. I have my fingers crossed for you tomorrow. I hope the trigger doesnt hurt too much. Try and relax as much as posible ( easier said than done!) It is up to you how many you have transfered. Just go with what your heart tells you!
    thanks
    11 sounds a lot!
    iI just got the time for the trigger.. tonight @ 8.40pm
    and egg colection thursday morning 8.30 am
    I am not worried about the trigger... had plenty of gonal f(600) and i realy dislike the synarel(evil stuff).
    I am so excited... wasn't until now... at the moment my ovaries quite sore... i am so bloated... i think it's quite normal ....so I want those eggs out! and
    still not decided one or two embios back...

sottovoce Guest

Hi Sottovoce
    thanks daisy

Sotto
    Just before they do the embryo transfer they grade the embryos. There are at least 3 grades.

Grade 1's are the best and for memory a grade 1 embie has 8 well defined cells after 24hours (or it could be 48?) Not sure exactly. A grade 2 might have 6 cells, 7 cells or it might have 8 cells but also have some other fragments in it which means that it's ok but not as high a quality as a grade 1.

We've also had embies that were really poor quality - so poor that we didn't get a grade. They usually don't make it through the 48 hr mark.

Last time I had 10 eggs, and we got 4 embies, 2 between grade 1 and 2 and 2 between grade 2 and 3. We elected to put the two better ones back and freeze the other two. When we got back the next day all of our embies had flourished and we were upto 4 grade 1's - I have no idea how it works but the embryologists all seem to do this grading thing. I think the theory is that grade 1 embies do better in utero than lower grades. But it all seems to be a moveable feast.

Maybe other LTACers know more?

Good luck with your trigger. It's a bit nerve wracking getting the ampoules open so make sure your DH is with you to help calm you down.
    Enjoy the bloom it gives your skin! You'll have a mini pregnancy glow for a few days. SEnding you baby dust

Editted to add. I just remembered what DH and I agreed on our first IVF attempt. THis might help you with your decision making about one versus two.

We decided that if we had a grade 1 we'd put 1 back, and if we had grade 2's we'd put 2 back. That kind of helped us on the day.

good luck for the rest of your cycle. i recently had my first IVF cycle at 44 and we put 2 back. It was at Monash Clayton. We already have 1 child and would have loved to have another 2 and they do not let you do IVF after you are 45, so it is was our last chance and was any easy decision for us. I got pg. first go (only one baby) but sadly miscarried at 8 weeks. Going back for another cycle soon.
    Putting 2 back increases your chances of pg so I would go for it if I were you. Yes, 2 babies will be hard work and hard on your body but realistically, you won't be going back for more so why not have a ready made family straight off. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your cycle. Keep us posted. I love hearing how us oldies are going (sorry, hope that did not offend! )
    Kar, I could be wrong but I don't think the grading has anything to do with cell numbers. I think the grade is to do with how much fragmentation there is. So you could still have a 10 cell embie which is grade 3 and a six cell which is grade 1.

Anney I think what you said about the grading is correct. And good luck for your upcoming cycle. I'll be watching and waiting and hoping ...

Sotto - I was a patient at MIVF with the lovely Dr Hale.

Again, good luck!!

Thanks Melbo and Anney - Sotto - take notice of those two. I must admit I probably made the link because my own 2nd grade embies were always down a few cells and that's how they were communicated to me. I may have leapt to an incorrect conclusion there! :eek:

sottovoce Guest

&Thanks to everyone for your support and the great information.
    I am ready for tomorrow.It will @ the RWH in Melbourne ( to keep the cost down a bit versus Freemasons).
    My Dr is Gronow.. he's great .. doesn't talk to much ... but i believe he's a great doc.
    i have to be there @ 8.30 am and i am very exited!
    I am 2 work right now and will take a longer lunch for some retail terapy
    Get back to you on friday with update.

I am so excited for you. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
    baby dust
    baby dust
    baby dust

sottovoce Guest

Red face

I am so excited for you. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
    baby dust
    baby dust
    baby dust
    thanks daisy
    i had a great day.
    I can't remember any of the procedure..DH was with me holding my hand..can't even remember that!
    Everithing went pretty well.. I am a bit sore and dizzy... but they collected 8
    tomorrow have to call the nurses fot the time of the ET(saturday).
    still didn't decided how many to put back... tomorrow is the day to decide...wait and see how many embrys we got anyhow 4 me.
    update you tomorrow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast