Thread: Frozen Embryos

Default Frozen Embryos

Hi

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Had EPU last week - had 26 eggs - 18 fertilised - 11 were good quality but now we have 7 frozen apparently that is a excellent result. While I knew the numbers would decline I just thought that we would have had more. (Please correct me if you think I need it). Ok so FS decided no fresh transfer - over stimmed.

So now what? FET should be mid April (guesstimate). How many embryos do they usually thaw? and does it depend on how many you are having transferred? and what is the usual survival rate from thawing??
    (I am with Sydney IVF).

Any help appreciated.

slyder Guest

DW had 26 eggs and we ended up with 4 blastocysts which they reckon was a good result. Some of the eggs were immature or too mature (over-stimmed) so we didn't expect a super dooper result. Initially I think we had 12 fertilise.

As for thawing it depends on the quality of the embryo and the egg itself, but SIVF tout their new freeze medium as being the ducks guts and producing thaw results better than 97% or something like that.

belle, congrats on a fabulous result! it is a bit of a numbers game so the more you produce (eggs) the more chance of having some for FETs in the future (if you need them).
    as a comparison, i normally get 4-6 eggs/ stim with 1 making it to ET with no snowbabies, so your result is wonderful and you are only 2 years younger than me.

i don't know how long you will be required to wait after OHSS to do a FET but i assume it will be an April FET at the earliest to ensure your system has calmed down. there are others better experienced to let you know this.

GL!!!! xx

Thanks heaps Slyder and Dusty

I am still coming to terms with what is good, normal or not.

its such an emotional roller coaster as I'm sure you well know. FS said need to have period first (must be about to start - am cooking the fattiest/cheesiest pasta I can get my hands on - not something I would normally eat hahaha) then another period then FET after that. So I might go back and see him late March.

Happy Happy Thoughts

Belle,
    Congrats on the result, that sounds like a wonderful embie count.
    As far as the thaw goes they store the embroy in single straws so they thaw either one or two depending on age FS recomendations.
    Good luck I am still thawing embies from 4 yrs ago and that was a 20 egg collection and 8 embies.
    Bec

Hi Belle,

Congrats on the embies..I know it sounds bad - but you did pretty well.

I normally have 2 embies transferred because of my age...but would say they will only do 1 for you...

Goodluck with the FET...

Thanks for the info minniemouse and BecG.

Guess I was just a bit scared that I would have to do stim cycle again soon - hopefully not - i need some time to get over it.

Happy Happy Thoughts