Thread: clomid whilst breastfeeding?

Question clomid whilst breastfeeding?

Does anyone had any advice or BTDT stories?

thanks!

Your Ob. will do some blood tests to determine whether there's enough eostrogen (sp) to work with the clomid. In my case, I was still feeding in the morning and evening and my tests came back with dismal results so she told me I HAD to wean. I didn't want to wean (Caty was only 11 months then) so we cut back to one feed (morning) and did a few sneaky rounds on clomid using my Obs. prescriptions (not telling her mind you!) and on the second or third round, using the same dose it took to concieve Caty, we concieved!

I think it depends on your ob too, regarding clomid and b/f. Some say no way, it might pass to your milk etc. etc. but there hasn't been any studies about this (I think....I get my info mostly from googling!) so it's just to cover thier butts. Some say you can try but it's unlikely to work because of the b/f. From what I googled, there's heaps of women out there who have been b/f and using clomid with no ill effects on their bubs. There was no difference with my milk supply when I used it, though I think Caty noticed a difference adn went off a bit (though that might have been ovulation effecting the milk, rather than clomid in the milk?) but she's still on one feed a day.

I had been getting AF randomly since Caty was about 7 months (it arrived when she had gastro and went off b/f completely) but I think I used provera for the three clomid rounds (I think....my memory stinks at the moment). If you don't have AF, try a low GI diet and daily excercise adn it should help a lot (well, it's helped me in the past....).

Good luck!
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; January 5th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.

Ellibam Guest

iwas going to ask this!!!
    AF is yet to return and probably wont while b/fing
    so do you think ob would let me go on it??

af is back for me but i wanted to ensure i was ovulating by taking clomid. I dont have a FS anymore and my gp said he didnt know and i "may as well take it"

Elissa - don't know. I imagine you'd have to have AF first? You can only ask I guess. Or try provera or a similar thing to bring it on?

Mabello - Well if you have a thumbs up from your Ob then go for it! That's great!

Can I ask is it safe to take Clomid while breasfeeding? I took Clomid for my first so would be interested to know. Also did you know Metformin is now proven also as a good drug to TTC just as effective as Clomid My OB said and this time she preferred me to try this instead of Clomid?

There haven't been any tests done on clomid in b/milk (as far as I know) so it's just a standard warning on the pamphlet.

Just spoke to DH about what we did this time. It was two rounds of clomid. The first round was badly timed as we both had the flu and subsequent fevers which would have fried any of DH's sperm so chances are it would have worked first time if we weren't sick.