Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egg Collection

Going to admit that EPU #3 was nowhere near as bad as the first two. I still had some pain from the procedure - gas pain at my shoulders (three days later I'm still burping more than usual!) and a slightly bruised vagina. Everything is settling now, and I'm just dealing with the fluffy-minded state that general anaesthetics leave me in. I'm pretty sure it's just a BW thing - I'll be right in another day or so. The best thing about this one is that with 20 eggs collected I had virtually no bleeding at all.

It just goes to show - EPUs are not always nightmarish, even if the first one (or two) are!

BW

Thanks AJC. Good luck with the Clomid. Hopefully you wont even need to know anything about IVF and get your BFP soon.

BW thats great to hear that all went well and better than your last two... Best of luck with this cycle

Hello ladies

Seeing as i started this thread, i thought it was only fair that i share my experience too for any ladies about to start their first IVF journey.

I had my EPU done at Maroubra Day Surgery. DH and i arrived one hour before i was due into theatre as requested by the nurses, along with DH sample which he collected at home (DH has a phobia with doing it at the clinic, he thinks its like Big Brother and "Someone is watching" LOL). Anyway, we waited upstairs in the IVF clinic for about 40 minutes when the nurse at reception called out and asked if there was a Paula to which i raised my hand and she told me i should have been waiting downstairs in the Surgery not there in the IVF clinic. Ooops. No one told me to go downstairs Anyway, we were greeted by the day surgery receptionist who confirmed my details and took more money from us (the difference that wasnt covered by my health fund) and then i was asked to wait. Five mins later a nurse came to get me and told DH i would be about 2 hours (Sorry DH, i didnt realise it woud be that long.. Im very lucky though to have a very patient DH). I was taken in by the nurse and she ran through my admission papers and filled out the rest regarding health issues, medication, etc then she asked me to get changed into the open back gown with a robe on top, covers for my feet and cover for my hair. Very stylish indeed! I was then sat in a little room and waited for the anaesthetist. In the meantime, the scientist/nurse came in to tell me she would be calling me tomorrow with the fertilisation results and that she had booked me in for my preg blood test. Next came in the Dr that was to do the EPU. She introduced herself and told me that they would write my results on my hand and wished me luck. Finally the anaesthetist came in and checked my health history asked me if id had a general or local anaesthetic before and ushered me to the surgery room. I jumped up on the bed, had the blood pressure arm band thing on my left arm, drip thing on my left arm and i remember being asked if i was feeling light headed to which i remember replying yes and he said good, and then that was it. I was out!
    I then woke up with a slightly sore throat (from the tube they would have put down there) and a sore right ovary. Not overly sore, just strong cramp. I was given a heat pack and some tablets and left to wake up for a little while. The nurses were all wonderful and made me feel very comfortable. A while later when i felt up to it, i was asked to get up, get changed and move to a reclined chair where i was given tea and biscuits and DH came in to sit with me. The nurse then took my drip needle thing from my arm (having that in my arm probably hurt more than what my tummy did) I was given the run down on what to do for the rest of the day, take it easy, drink water, etc. and off i went. I felt perfectly fine. No pain, just a little uncomfortable.
    I have to say, that if i ever have to go through the EPU again, it will be a breeze. It was a very comfortable experience.

Paula - I'm glad everything went well for you. Good luck and I hope & you get a BFP.

Hi Paula,

I'm so glad your EPU went smoothly...

We obviously go the the same place for epu... As your day is a carbon copy of all the previous ones I have been thru.

Wishing you all the best for transfer and then a BFP...

Thanks ladies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12