Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how many embryos should you transfer? 1 vs 2

Default One V Two Embryo Transfer

Hi Girls,

I am about to start IVF in a few weeks and at my last FS appointment our FS asked us to start thinking about how many embies we would like to have transfered. I had already done some thinking and thought that 2 would be the way to go. It increases the chances greatly of a pregnancy and if we have twins it would be fantastic, the more the merrier.

When I explained that to our FS he seemed very negitive towards having 2 transfered and tried to convince us to only have one transfered due to the huge health risks.

I am now very confused and a little worried as i have done some research and found that there can be a lot of health issues having twins.

I was wondering if anyone could share some advice how they made a decision on how many embies to transfer?

Thank heaps

Hi Sarz,
    Really hard question! I had always thought that 2 looked like the way to go. The chances of twins seemed so low and it increased the chances of getting pg sooner - and could an instant family be so bad?
    BUT, my FS was dead against anything other than one at a time, and then when DH and i tried to bring it back up with the nurse she was dead against it too.
    I am still in the down reg phase, but we have signed up for just one transfer whenever we get to that stage (hopefully before the end of the month). They have given us pages of info/stats, and it all points to having just one.
    We aren't going to blasts - i think one is the rule with blasts.

I will be interested to see what the ladies who have been though it have to say.

Good luck with your decision.
    Jo

My clinic didn't give me a choice at all - it's one and one only.

They say that it's due to the increased risk of complications in multiple pregnancies, not only risks to the mother, but risks to the babies as well. They say that the likelihood of ending up with a live baby at the end of the process is higher with a singleton pregnancy that with twins or more.

I think that if age is a factor then they are more likely to consider transferring two, but it seems to be the preference in some clinics to start with single transfers only.

BW

My FS STRONGLY recommended only one be transferred due to my age and likelyhood of getting pregnant. I'm glad I took his advise as although I'm sure two would be fantastic, I find it hard enough keeping up with one!! (Plus as my DD was born so prem, we would have run into lots of trouble).

My FS was agreeable to us transferring 2 embies (which is what we ended up doing) however the literature I've read seems to indicate that it doesn't give you twice the chance of falling pregnant, so it may not be as advantageous as it first seems.

Another consideration might be how many spare embryos you end up with, and what your response was to a fresh IVF cycle i.e. would you rather have a few extra FET opportunities up your sleeve (if needed), or would you rather have the 2 embies transferred.

Hi there,

Currently, most of the clinics seem to agree that in women under 35, transferring one at a time is the best option.

I had two transferred on the advice of my FS because of my age.

Mel

~Jane~ Guest

We were asked how many to transfer and it was something my previous gynea and I had discussed in terms of risks of multiples with clomid etc and to be honest he scared the life out of me. So when we were asked about our IVF cycle we decided on one. DH and I based this on the fact I am only 32, it was my first cycle so everything was a bit unknown and we would try one and see how things went. Also, our FS didn't discuss one versus two at all as we indicated straight up we only wanted one.

In the end it seems to have been a good decision as we had a sucessful outcome with that one, that's not to say if I had have transferred 2 I would have automatically had twins, but for us it was the right decision. It's a hard one to call and I worried I was doing the right thing for the same reasons as you.

Thanks everyone for replying - it is really good to hear what everyone else's FS thought about this as well. I was a little taken back by my FS but it seems that it is normal for them to encourage only one transfer.

My DH is very keen to only have one transfered after speaking with FS and I guess now I am leaning towards one as well. At least for the first go and then look at it again down the track if it is not happening for us.

Thanks again for everyones advice!

Sarz

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

just to add my '2 sense' worth - we transferred two - three times and the last transfer cycle 2 we got twins.
    I admit I am considerably older and our FS/nurse encouraged one, but agrred on two.For older women with less of a chance to begin with they can't stop you.
    Yes there are risks and our babies were 1 month early due to obstetric cholestasis (me) which is more common in multiple pregancies.
    Yes it is hard work but I love both my boys dearly and I am so thankful for them because I doubt I would have had another pregnancy. You have youth and I would agee with transferring one only.

INterestingly during a FET my previous FS was happy to transfer two (success rates lower in FET), but in fresh cycle only one.

My current FS is allowing us to transfer two and actually suggested it - although we are younger than usual, this is our sixth try and FS says he is more than happy to do 2 given our history.

If i have one or two - all that matters to me is the health of my bubbies (and naturally my own health as well). If you be realistic about the risks with multiple pregnancy and make your choice well informed, I think thats most important.

My FS is also against transferring 2 because of my age. He said if I was 39 or 40, he wouldn't hesitate, but as I am only 30 I have a good chance of getting pregnant through IVF and there are too many complications with multiple pregnancies. I asked my nurse about transferring 2 in our last FET and she was definitely against it. Seeing as my FS was away on holidays, there was no way it was going to happen on her watch! Oh well, I tried!

Hi Ladies
    Just thought i would throw in my 2 cents worth..

My FS wouldn't hear of any more thn 1 going back after our IVF/ICSI Blasty cycle, claiming she was sure we would fall first time because of my age.. im 22.

But for our FET cycle we are transferring 2 Blasts.. so you dont just have to be over 35 to get more than one transferred.

Cheers

HI Girls,
    My FS has always returned two at a time with me probably cause of my age - and if i want i can now have 3 considering my age and lenght of time on IVF - however they did tell me more chance of twin especially for older women, but if i was young like you they said only one at a time.

Hi Ladies,

This has been so helpful and it's nice to know that it's not just my doctor that was refusing to transfer anymore than 1 (I thought he was just personally against it) we have had 2 failed ICSI/IVf cycles and only transfered 1 and we are now waiting to do our first FET and we talked our doctor into transfering 2 this time

Hi Girls
    Interesting how different it is for everyone. My FS has suggested blast and transfering 2...but on discussing this with the Nurse she hit the roof!!! Which has created a heap of confusion for DH and I!!!From my last IVF cycle they found that my zona is 'difficult' so ICSI now...but as for the number to transfer...we just don't know what to do? EPO later this week so better get it sorted? We have '2' written on all the documents...but now not so sure????

gemmad Guest

Hi Sarz
    I mustve been meant to read this as I too, have been thinking about this all day. So far I have had one failed ivf attempt and will be starting round two with synarel tomorrow. I know that my doc is not overly keen on putting two in and from what I can gather you need to get through a certain no of cycles before they will. My cousin had twin girls through IVF after 7 failed attempts. It depends on your age and reason for infertility I guess and I would imagine that things differ in every state. I would love to have twins, I have a two year old boy, and am 31 so would like to 'get it over with' so to speak and I too think the more the merrier. From what Ive been told and stories Ive read on ivf websites, theres no guarantee that two will work anyway so go for it I say. As for the health risks, Im not really up with what they are except early delivery but I think if you want them you should have the option. Goodluck with it all, I hope it works for you, its an extremely emotional time but hopefully worth it in the end.

hi sarz

today i transferred 2 embryos and 2WW now. originally DH & I signed all documents for only one adamant we didn't want to push our luck and risk getting 2.

i got 14 eggs from the FS cycle and only 2 of those fertilised. in this situation we thought we might lose the other less strong one on the freezing/thawing process and decided to just go ahead with the 2 lucky ones. my gyno didn't have any problem with this. i am 40 though.

cheers
    Cia

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

welcome Cia and goodluck in the 2ww ... join inthe therad the sticky at the top of the page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast