Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how many embryos should you transfer? 1 vs 2

Default Pros & Cons of Transferring Two Embryos

What factors affected your decision on how many embryos to transfer?

Are you more likely to fall pregnant, even if it's only with one, if you transfer two embryos?

We're not at all concerned with having twins & would quite welcome the opportunity to have two babies at once. I just wonder what the negatives would be, aside from the pressures of any multiple pregnancy.....

Hi Sarah - my FS has alway told me that having two implanted will only really increase the chance of pg by 2%

I ve also beed told that if having one good embie and one not so good then they may not implant as the not so good one can cause you to abort???? dont know how much of this is true though

Ive always had two embies put back in, even at the age of 23 when we did our first cycle

I guess if there is an increase with getting pg with two embies then that why we have gone for that. But if its going to work then its going to work, if you go one at a time, you'll get there, and yes the big risk is having multipul pg

HTH

Lou

its is totally personal
    I have had one put back 3 times and two put back once
    The only time it worked was when i had two put back
    However . . . tommorow i am going in to have 1 put back again. after being through a twin pg and the stresses of prems- it wouldn't be fair on my twins to have twins again deliberately.
    twins are alot more stressful- not only after they are born but the risks associated with complications etc is alot higher
    it is really up to you if you are prepared to take that risk or not - esp when you have other kids to consider.
    don't get me wrong - i love having twins - but pg and first year were really hairy!!!
    also going from two kids to four is a big financial step - new car - house etc

good luck with whatever you decide!!!
    HTH and take care

Hey Sarah, tough choice isn't it? Our FS was adamant that he would not transfer two embies back on our first cycle. He said that with the advancements in IVF technology, these days there was little more chance of falling prg with two embies than with one. He also wanted to avoid the risks associated with a multiple pregnancy. I have the same FS as Keen and obviously she is prg with twins, so he makes this decision based on the individual rather than a standard policy.

Now, I too was very open to the idea of having twins. But my best friend now has two sets, and having seen her day to day life, I am very happy to be having one little bundle rather than two! There are pros and cons for both and obviously having two sets is a whole other ball game (she was devastated to find out she was expecting another set of twins), but it's definately not an easy road, as I'm sure any mum of twins will tell you. As Odette has said, both of my friend's pregnancies were difficult and all 4 of her children have ongoing medical issues (none serious thankfully) as a result of being premmie.

My advice would be to put one back on your first cycle, and if you do not have success (praying that won't be the case! ) then put two back the next cycle. This was our plan of attack and I think it's a good compromise.
    Last edited by Willow; July 10th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.

Sarah, I agree with Willow. Start slowly and it can be reviewed depending on your reslults etc.

This is what my FS and nurse told me...

Although a multiple pregnancy seems to be the ideal way to have an instant family, the risks associated with them far outweigh any perceived advantage. During the pregnancy the woman experiences an increase in the discomforts and symptoms that are related to pregnancy, such as morning sickness, tiredness and backache. Although her pregnancy will be more closely monitored than a single pregnancy, this is no guarantee of a safe outcome.

Some of the pregnancy complications associated with multiple pregnancy include an increased incidence of:

• spontaneous miscarriage
    • instrumental delivery and Caesarean section
    • prematurity
    • low birth weight
    • mental or physical handicap, especially with severe prematurity
    • infant mortality
    Good luck with your treatment!!!

Such a hard decision....

We put back one each previous 'fresh' cycle and two each FET, until this cycle which was the first fresh one where we put two back - however we had many other factors that helped our success this time around, so really is hard to say.

As much as I wouldnt change anything now I have my two wonders on the way, perhaps we didnt really consider the entire logistics of twins as much as we have now! I have a few friends I have now met with twins and have found it is the little things you dont think of that makes things extra difficult....

but in saying all that, its a very personal decision and I think just go with your heart (but allowing your head to way things up first )..... and Good Luck matey - wish everything for your success.

Sarah - are you with SIVF?

Their Canberra office won't put two back unless you have had several failures or are pushing the age boundaries.

I am very interested to know their take on it in Sydney

Yep with SIVF in Liverpool. Yesterday we had our nurse appointment & the nurse said that it was up to us, but they won't transfer more than two at a time. She said essentially it's up to us & the Dr what we'd like to do. I have a friend going through the same clinic, with the same Dr who has just had her 2nd IVF pregnancy confirmed. At transfer the Dr said to her, so are you sure you don't want two winking at her cos they had discussed it previously. So it seems like a very really option at my clinic.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Sarah in all my transfers, I only ever once had one put back, and that was the first transfer. Despite the fact that I was considered to have a good prognosis, the clinic and my Dr (who is usually against transferring 2) let me make the decision. My Dr explained that as I had had children previously, and understood the challenges of raising a child, that he was prepared for me to make an informed decision on it. He said that if we had been trying for child #1 he would have likely said no to transferring two unless I had had repeated failure to implant (which I ended up having anyway, but that's a whole other story )

I would be transferring two if I were you, though I do understand the logistics of having twins would be more of a challenge. And even then remember, you may still end up with a singleton pg (like Charlie was)

Hi Sarah,
    I to am with SIVF (satelite team that visit Coffs every 3mths) however Dr D Lok makes the decisions on my meds etc. I have a doc here that does the practical stuff who works for SIVF and i have always had 2 put back in but that is most likely because of my age - actually after the age of 42 you allowed 3 but would not as i think that is pushing the boundries just a little. Its really a personal choice - i just felt that i did not have time to waste - so if one is a dud hopefully the other is a good one! Good luck with your decision.

Hi Sarah!

I say you should go for two! After all, whats better than one baby? TWO BABIES!

/me does the baby dance, well maybe not THE baby dance since I'm at work and all...

I vote you change 2 babies nappies then :nana:

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

LOL you two!

LMAO @ The hawk!!

Sounds like a great compromise Sarah, you have the two and he changes allll the nappies

I will change all nappies*

*actual nappies changed may not be all, anything particularly smelly or otherwise gross will not be covered in this agreement, nor will any nappies be changed when I'm tired, hungry or horny.

you haven't stolen my husbands brain have you?
    Last edited by Trillian; July 12th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

Question To transfer 1 or 2 embies tomorrow???

Hi BB folk

My DH and I are seeking your assistance/advice/thoughts on the pros and cons of transferring either 1 or 2 embies tomorrow morning.

Briefly we are in our third IVF cycle and until now have only ever had 1 embie resulting from a cycle. This time we have 2 embies and because embies are better off in my belly than a petri dish the clinic wants to transfer tomorrow (Day 3) rather than growing out to blasts.

Our dilemma is they have offered us the choice of transferring 1 or 2 as I am 38 next month and to date haven't had great response to IVF. I know there are bigger risks associated with a multiple pregnancy and I am not sure if the odds are even better for a successful pregnancy with a transfer of 2 embies.

DH is worried if I only transfer 1 and it doesn't work that I will kick myself for not transferring the both of them.

There are so many issues associated with all of this that I am quite undecided and confused - but still excited that regardless I will have a ET tomorrow which is another big step towards a pregnancy!!!.

We also have the option of continuing to grow the two embies out to blasts and seeing which embie is the best option. The only benefit I can see with this is if I decide to only transfer the 1 then we increase the likelihood of getting the strongest one. But then again neither of them may survive to a blastie.

So many options and things to think about.....

dusty

I don't think anyone can make the decision for you, dusty.

However, if I were in that position, I think I'd transfer them both. Sure, there is a chance of twins, but there's still also a chance that only one (or sadly neither, but I sincerely hope not!) will work.

There's also the chance that if you transfer one and freeze the other to use later it may not survive thawing.

You could grow to blastocyst, but I went from 12 to 4 when we did that, so again it's something that I would be reluctant to do if I were in your position.

I don't want to seem to be telling you what to do, I'm just saying that it's what I'd do if I were in your position. I hope it is helpful.

BW

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast