Thread: I cried at work!!

Red face I cried at work!!

Had a bad day on Friday. I had to tell my boss about us doing IVF and was a bit nervous. We were discussing roster changes cause she is having holidays and I discovered I will probably be having EPU or transfer during that time. I am her 2IC so cant really have time off with her away. I just had a little breakdown and the tears started. Well, once I start I find it hard to stop. Usually I dont have a problem, cause I just dont discuss it and not many people know.
    My question is how do others cope with these situations? Do others have these really embarrassing incidents? What do you do to pull yourself together? How do you tell people about your treatment if you are asked or have no choice?
    I really need your help cause, knowing me, there are going to be lots more "tear challenges" coming my way!!!

((hugs)) I can't imagine the pressure that the whole assisted conception process puts on ppl but I really feel for you. I just wanted to say there was a time in my life that I was really emotionally overwhelmed (and hormonal) and I found the best way to avoid having 'spillovers' at work was to get all my crying done in my own time. This meant attending emotional release therapy and 'processing' all my feelings. A regular time with a counsellor when you can let it all hang out can be marvellously relieving.

HTH and I wish you all the very best luck with your IVF.

Hi there sazzafrazz

I know how you feel! But don't despair i've cried at work with my boss as well- a couple of times! I had to tell her that I was having surgery so she kind of knew that i've been trying to conceive this year, sometimes she might ask how things are going and I just well up and tell her I don't wont to talk about it-I really have had to block people out, I haven't told anyone except my mother what is going on in my life- its my coping mechanism, the less people know the more 'normal' I feel. I read others feeling like a weight has lifted off their shoulders when the told people about it- Im not at that point yet! I don't want anyone to know, I dont want people feeling sorry for me, asking me questions or gossiping...I can't handle anyone elses stress at the moment!

Just know that your not alone in feeling emotional, I think i must have a cry about something everyday lately! But Im emotional at the best of times

I was very emotional during my last stim cycle. I had one particular day where 2 people made me cry! Thankfully they don't know that they did as I was able to hold it in and the ran off to the toilets and hid for 10 minutes until I felt together enough to go back to my desk. Then I had a longer cry when I got home!

Let's just say that the toilet cubicle can become your best friend.

I did tell them at work and was extremely matter of fact about it. That said, they could be trusted with that information and I know many people are not like that. Just be aware though that a medical certificate is grounds enough for you to be off work. You do not have to provide further details of what is going on. It is sufficient to say you are having medical treatment.

Best of luck. I know how hard it is. There were times when I was thankful that my job required so much focus and concentration because it stopped my brain running round and round on its little wheel like a mouse.

Thanks, Ladies,
    I dont have the luxury of being able to sneak off to the loo for a break cause I'm at the counter on my own for most of my shift. I do think that having a scheduled release time will help though and I might even see about some counselling???. I had a read of some features on BB and had a bit of a cry and that seemed to help. I know what you mean about the "spillover" . That's exactly what it feels like. Let a little bit out and then the rest can be contained. I think if I can do that regularly then I should be able to control myself a little better at work (maybe).
    Will have to get some coping strategies planned before hormones start to go haywire with upcoming treatment.

Hi Sazzafrazz,

Crying is perfectly normal - I too do not like to cry at work but have on many occassions especially when full of hormones - lovely little creatures! I am usally a very strong girl but IVF just brings me to tears - most people that have caught me at my worst completely ( or say they do) understand. I think you will find most people will think you very brave for going on the journey and you will find most very supportive once they know what you are doing - DON"T BE EMBARRASSED . I have just started a new job as a CA (Chiropratic Assistant) I was completely honest at the interview about IVF but it worked in my favour - they thought if this girl is going to tell us this she is honest and thats actually what landed me the job. I personally now after 3yrs of treatment think its a good thing to talk about the journey - mostly cause I feel the more we talk about it the more the word gets out about how many of us are doing IVF and most people find it very interesting - last weekend I went to a B'day party in Melbourne and out of 30 people there was one lady who had donated eggs (just cause she wanted to) and there was another lady who had 3IVF kids - when the first lady said whe was a donor it made all the other ladies sit up and pay attention and a few actually wanted to know more as they might become donors - so I feel its very positive to discuss your journey - but I know alot of girls who don't want to talk about it and thats fine too - it really is a personal decision. Anyway good luck with it all - chin up - don't be ashamed of your feelings as they are real and valid.

All the best
    Lissie

I have been TTC for 3 years now and has a miscarriage last Nov, no luck since then for another bub, however there are two ladies at work who are pregnant and another two annouced theirs the other day, going on about how 'easy' it was for them! I am a teacher and just made it back to my room to have a quick cry before my year 1's arrrived for the day! It is not easy, and not everyone knows about my history (which I consistantly remind myself everyday). I am sure that I will continue that to react in such a way for a bit of time to come, however I have a fre trusted friends as work who help to keep me sane and lend a sholder to cry on when needed.

Unhappy

I had a small meltdown at work today and it was awful!! In 5 years in this (male dominated manufacturing) workplace I've never dropped my bundle like I did today This awful lady I work with was nasty and it finally got to me and I burst into tears in my bosses office! It's not till now when I'm at home that I realise I'm totally pre menstrual, and on the Pill for the first time in about 5 years and it's given me a bit of other weird behaviour as well. I feel a bit like a sooky girl, since the 100 men I work with don't deal very well with tears, but I hope that becasue it's the first time they'll realise it's serious! It's not that they don;t approve, they just don;t know what to do!!
    DH thinks I should stay home tomorrow, but I'm going to have to face it eventually, and the longer it goes the harder it'll be. And it's Friday, so only one day till the weekend.

Hooray for rampant hormones is all I can say, more to come with IVF drugs I guess....

Thanks Tracey and Katie,
    Your stories help me a lot to know I'm not crazy and I'm also not the only one out there feelin that way!
    BTW, come join us in the "long term TTC and assisted" thread, if you like. They are all really great girls in there and understand the situation we are all in really well. It is like a little support club for each and everyone of us. Hope all goes well for all you lovely ladies out there!